Thread: Military traffic in New York City

Military traffic in New York City

Monday June 19th, The USMMA in Kings Point is having their graduation. Expect to see some heavy traffic around the LGA area that day, with some special planes. It will be a VERY good day to spot! In addition to that, ther will be 2x f-18's and a 14 to do a flyover for the graduation, as well as a rumor of 2 Bones, yes B-1's, as well, later in the day.[/u]
    Scott Snorteland
    http://www.srsimages.com

OOOH! I wonder if there is public access to the USMMA?
    +++++1970-2006+++++
    Tomcats Forever, Baby!

Quote Originally Posted by MORS-AB-ALTO
    OOOH! I wonder if there is public access to the USMMA?
    IIRC we had to go through an ECP when I went there for a banquet a few years back...but since it is graduation and there will be a ton of friends and family of the graduates around, I wouldn't be surprised if the standards for entry were a little more relaxed.

For the Air Force Academy's graduation this year, they mailed out "passes" for entry to the families of the graduates, but there had to have been people who either lost them, or forgot them, and still were able to get in. It may be similar at the MMA. I would just go and say that you're there for graduation and if they ask you for a pass or anything say you lost it or didn't get one. Chances are they will be more relaxed, and what they may have you do is pull into the visitors area by the ECP, where you'll have to bring your auto registration and insurance in and present phto ID, and then maybe be issued a temp pass.
    Good luck!

Received notification regarding TFRs (temporary flight restrictions ) for the New York area due to a presidential visit to graduation. Imagine security will be tight

Quote Originally Posted by kevin323
    Received notification regarding TFRs (temporary flight restrictions ) for the New York area due to a presidential visit to graduation. Imagine security will be tight
    This was confirmed today. The Bone rumor is a bit enticing though!
    +++++1970-2006+++++
    Tomcats Forever, Baby!

If the President is going to be there, I'm guessing there won't be any public access.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Well it will be very tough to get around USMMA however it is right on the water across from the Throggs Neck Bridge, and I'm sure LGA as I said will have some interesting activity!
    Scott Snorteland

Does anyone know what time the graduation starts so that those of us are around LGA might expect the interesting traffic ?

Thanks

LGA777

The 18's and 14 are suppossed to flyover at 10am sharp. As for the traffic of the special visitor I would assume would be earlier, but there's no way of knowing that for sure at all.
    Scott Snorteland

11:30 am Sat, 2 presidential Air Force One heli's, and 3 green Sea Knights flew over and into a baseball field opposite the USMMA. They departed about 20 minutes after.
    Scott Snorteland

I spotted them over on the TWA, De-icing ramp. C-130, 3-4 chinooks and 1 or 2 UH-60s in VIP config)
    About 11:50pm

Senga

Where?
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

hmmm I suppoose it would help if we actually mentioned the place that we are talking about. Its JFK.

Senga