Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spotting in Philly

Spotting in Philly

Hey guys! Phil and I are taking a trip to Philly (my hometown :)) in a couple weekends, and I've heard/read mixed things about spotting conditions at PHL. Phil has told me a little, and I know about Hog Island Road (15+ years ago, my dad actually used to take me there so we could lay on top of the car to watch the arrivals). I was curious about anyone's personal experiences as far as police....and whether there were any alternate spots that are worth our while. We aren't making a day out of spotting, but it would be nice if we had any tips for the time we are there.

Thanks!

I haven't heard any bad things at all. What bad stuff were you referring to?
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

There was a thread a couple of days ago regarding spotting at PHL. Heres the link:

http://www.airliners.net/discussions/ge ... in/2626752

I have been spotting at PHL once. I wish I could recall how it was but all I can remember is parking next to a fence and watching a US Airways A330-300 landing.

Hope this helps!

I have been down there once. Its 50-50.
    On my personal experience I didn't have any problems but a cop did follow me around the airport until I we to the terminal area though.
    They don't want you hanging around certain spots close to the fence area. I have been told if you dot have there you will be left alone for the most part.
    One guy was detained for a while. I have heard both bad and god stories. So just use your head thats all.

Rafal was there not too long ago he the best guy to ask about his recent trek (up there) for him.

Senga

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D.
    I haven't heard any bad things at all. What bad stuff were you referring to?
    Just i.e....read the comments underneath everything in this link: http://www.jetphotos.net/airports/airport.php?icao=KPHL

I know its just a couple, and it seems hit or miss, but that's why I posted the thread to begin with! ;)

Sounds like they feel the same way I do about PHL.
    Thge good thing about PHL is that its very shotable so you should have plenty of places to get pix.
    I went there in 2002 and got everything I needed in 20 mins so I went back home.
    Senga

Quote Originally Posted by SengaB
    I went there in 2002 and got everyhting I needed in 20 mins so I went back home.
    Senga
    Well hopefully that's how it goes for us, too! We have a seriously tight schedule to attempt to stick to that day.

I'd love to shoot (or at least just see) a UPS 747 and a (unburned :() DC-8 as well...and I read that those usually come in the morning, which is when we're aiming to be there.

Hey Phil, Mell

I was spotting at PHL week before JFK. Arrived (by car) around 6:30am at Hog Island Avenue and left from there around 5:30pm. I didn't have any problems at all. You have to follow few simple rules to be ok.
    First of all, don't park on the fenced side of the street. Always park on the opposite side (thats the best spot anyway). Don't speed on that street. Don't walk across the street to take pictures thru the fence (you can do it if nobody is around, just take the pic and go back to your car).
    I'm doing PHL at least once every two months so I know little about it :)
    There are some bitchy cops, if one approches you and tell you to get the hell out of there - get his name and phone number to his Sergant. It happened to me twice. I've called Sergant and he said that I can go back and continue to take pictures. He will tell you that he will contact that officer who harrased you.

If they are landing on runways 27L/R the best spot is 200 yards East from the Sunoco fuel farm/storage. Drive slowly until you find your desired spot.
    For departures from runway 27L you have to drive past UPS facility, and UPS second (West) employees parking lot. When you see fire training fuselages and small fire training center then you are right on the spot. Park in that gravel parking lot and stay in your car. Don't roam around, if you stay in your car you'll be fine. Of course for pictures you have my permission to get out ;) But seriously, I always stay in my car and when I see aircraft departing I leave from my car, take the shot and go back. Few times Police cruisers passed me while I was taking pictures in that gravel lot and they didn't even stoped. But be careful you never know what kind of cop you will get.

For arrivals from runway 09R you have to park on the Western side of the Hog Island Avenue. There are NO PARKING signs all over the place, but we park there anyway and stay in the car. The worst thing that can happend is that cop will order you to leave from that spot. (We were never removed from that spot, even when cops saw us seating in the car).
    For departures from runway 09L you can position yourself 10 yards away from the entrance to Sunoco fuel farm/storage.

Word of advice - when you park on the side of the street pull as far as possible. Those UPS 18-wheelers are driving recklesly, so be careful.

Light at PHL is great from early in the morning until late afternoon (5-6pm). When you see local spotter Paul K. say hallo to him from me :)

Have fun, and enjoy your trip :)
    Rafal
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Its basic economics, I don't understand it at all..." - Randy Marsh, South Park, CO

Correction - week before JFK I did CLT :) I was at PHL on February 18th :)
    In about 1 hour I will post couple of pictures from the spots that I just described.

Rafal
    "Its basic economics, I don't understand it at all..." - Randy Marsh, South Park, CO

Awesome! Thanks so much for all that info! Can't wait for your pics...I would love to see Philly shots. I keep my pride, even when Phil disses my hometown. ;)

Nobody disses Philly....it's my hometown too afterall! :D

Regards,
    -Omar S. :)

Ok here are the pictures:
    09R Arrival - picture take from across the street (from the rail road)

Unedited picture of arrival on runway 09R

Picture of departure from runway 09L = taken from the sunoco entrance

Picture of departure from runway 27L taken from the gravel parking lot

Arrival on runway 27R taken from the spot East of the Sunoco entrance. I took this picture while searching for the best spot. I had to drive up the street 100 yards for perfect spot.

Two arrivals on runway 27R :)

Picture taken thru the fence - it was taken in summer so its hazy, but now you should be ok.

I just saw that you want to get UPS B747 or DC-8. I don't want to dissapoint you but your chances of getting one of them are slim to none on weekend. Saturday or Sunday you will get from UPS only B767-300, 757-200, MD-11 aaaaannnnd if you are veeeeeery lucky you might get one DC-8. BUT :) There is always BUT. All UPS airplanes arrive very early in the morning. Last arrival is around 10am and its B767-300. To get good cargo stuff you have to be there at least from 7-7:30am.

Good luck!

Rafal

Rafal....Thanks so much for sharing those with us! I especially love the 727 shot!

We plan to be there as early as possible....trying to leave Queens as early as we can wake up. Hopefully that means getting to the airport no later than 8am or so, and getting some novel, or at least cool shots.

The one time I went to PHL to get an An-124 arriving, he came in at 7:30 am!