Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Spotting in Philly

Keep your eyes out for the NASA Super Guppy! This is one I really want to get.

Senga

Don't forget the cheesesteaks.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Spotting in Philly

mel - can u and phil get some wn shots =) plzzzz
    -Bobby Catone

ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

Surely. There's plenty there to get. :)

Maybe you can get in touch with the guys who run this site:

http://phlairline.com/

They post photo/spotter logs almost daily, so maybe Phil can garner a spotter/photographer relationship with these guys?

Hey Mel,

lemme know when you guys decide to drive down to Philly and I might join you for the day.....haven't been spotting there since I was four years old, hahaha. :D

Regards,
    -Omar S.

When you guys do go, let me know. PHL is my home airport, although, if you were to ask me about my "home" airport since I'm at school, I'll gladly say JFK. :-)

Actually, this isn't a spotting specific trip. I'm taking Phil to Philly (make the bad jokes...my friends already have) for some birthday activities and a little chunk of morning spotting is just a bonus.

BUT, next time we head down there we'll be sure to post about it.

Thanks for all of the suggestions and info! :mrgreen:

Hey All,

Yesterday I went to PHL for spotting and I've got some great stuff.
    5 UPS B763F
    1 UPS MD11F
    1 Kitty Hawk Cargo 733F
    1 DHL 722F
    2 FedEx DC10F
    and more regular stuff.
    No problems with police, they passed us many many times but never stopped to check us.
    Here are some pictures from yesterday:

Rafal
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Its basic economics, I don't understand it at all..." - Randy Marsh, South Park, CO

phlairline.com

The guy that runs the site is Paul Kanagie. He's on A.net as RWY27R

There are very rarely problems spotting at PHL now, thanks to Paul's persistence. If you do get hassle follow Rafal's advice.

If I get to shoot ANY type of 727, I'll be satisfied!

Our revised plan is to get there no later than 7:15am, and stay for several hours, depending on the weather. At this point, they're calling for a bit milder than this week, high around 50...cloudy with winds. I guess we won't know anything too accurate til at least the day before (especially after the change for the better this weekend in NY). It would be great to get even just a COLD sunny day though.

Either way, I'm glad Phil will get to see another airport that he hasn't yet, even if we can't shoot anything too great b/c of clouds. :)

Well, we made it down and back from Philly. LOOONNNNNNGGGG day, with a couple hours of spotting in the morning. We arrived before 8am and spotted til about 10:30. We actually ran into the guy who runs phlairline.com! Phil was excited to get a couple planes he's never seen around here, but I'll let him tell you about it.

I'll be editing my shots and posting in the next couple days. I got one I'm particularly proud of, but I don't want to spoil it!

We saw several planes that would've been nice to see depart, but they weren't going anywhere for hours....UPS 727, ATI DC-8, Lufthansa A340 (which apparently had some engine trouble and was just chillin at the USAir building)

The burned UPS DC-8 was surprisingly laid out for all to see. We both got a couple shots of that as well. Poor thing.

Check back soon for the shots! :)

I got a Miami Air 737, and a lot of US new colors (757, 767, CRJ). I also got a US 757 in Star Alliance. Even US 757 in regular colors was a new one for me, so I was happy.

Philly is great. One road, easy to see what is coming, no insane racing around to catch something, nice angles, friendly police and all. Maybe if they had a little more diverse traffic it'd be better, but it's a lot of fun. I plan to go back there again soon.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

The guy that runs the site is Paul Kanagie. He's on A.net as RWY27R
    Actually, I'm Runway27right on A.net, but I seldom visit A.net.

But I guess you can tell I'm now on this board. I do plan to visit JFK at least a couple times in the upcoming months.

I used to visit EWR & TEB often, but never made in to JFK or LGA.

Paul (from PHL)
    Expanding Beyond PHL
    http://phlairline.com

Just wanted to share one shot that I got....something that I really wanted. More to come later: