Thread: Crab It Like You Meant It!

Crab It Like You Meant It!

check this amazing video out of the 777 and the 74L being tested in crosswind conditions...i'm suprised that the gear on the 3rd landing didn't shear clean off!

http://www.linhadafrente.net/bin/Pousos.wmv

i was thinking that same thing during the 3rd landing. and man, the 777 is an awesome plane!

Thanks!!

One of the better videos I've ever seen. I wish more were set to music.

Thanks for posting that, Monty. :)
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Monty that was great post! Thank you for sharing that. Music seemed right for the video to.

Hey Monty!
    thanks pal!

U guys should check out:

airsidetv.com

lots of great stuff too!
    Mike
    "my finger on the shutter button, while my eye is over my shoulder"

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s
    WOW!! good work boeing.

though, the way i see it is that the second and third landings were made and did not damage the gear due to the fact that the majority of the weight of the airplane was still resting on the wings and not the gear. also, you don't know is that airlplane was weighed down as it would be on a revenue flights. if it's lighter than that definately helps. i wonder if that kind of a landing is what boeing considers "SOP."
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Quote Originally Posted by cancidas
    i wonder if that kind of a landing is what boeing considers "SOP."
    Good question. I can't imagine any sane airline doing that unless it was an out of fuel last ditch do or die situation.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Quote Originally Posted by GothamSpotter
    i wonder if that kind of a landing is what boeing considers "SOP."
    Good question. I can't imagine any sane airline doing that unless it was an out of fuel last ditch do or die situation.

It depends on the max crosswind component defined by the airline (or, in absence of the latter, Boeing) I cant seem to find the data through google though. Email sent to my buddy 772 f/o.

also, notice one more thing. the airplane is not very heavily fueled, another fact that attributd to a light weight. i'm sure, especially now after speaking to a few mechs, that if that was done at a typical landing weight for the airplane the gears would have probably sheared off..
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

also, notice one more thing. the airplane is not very heavily fueled, another fact that attributd to a light weight. i'm sure, especially now after speaking to a few mechs, that if that was done at a typical landing weight for the airplane the gears would have probably sheared off..
    Not sure how much cross wind were those done in, I think FAR21 cert requires transport aircraft to have a minimum of 30 knots crosswind component landing capability with the certified max landing weight. These gear can take a beating, some of the commercial flights I have been on feels rougher than the videos.

clipper, the max certified crosswind component is not in place for you to land the airplane sideways. normally, pilots will roll wing-low to straighten out the airplane on the final approach course so that they don't land sideways. yes, crabbing works to get you to the runway but you're not supposed to land like that.