Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canon 20D.......help!

Canon 20D.......help!

OK, so now I have no camera at all, my Nikon croaked in a critical moment in action, so..............

Looking to make a change.

What kind of faults you folks know about this camera.
    Any complaints about the 100-400 IS (not talking about $ or weight)
    Sigma? Good, bad?

Mike
    "my finger on the shutter button, while my eye is over my shoulder"

You're switching to Canon and abandoning all of your Nikon lenses? What exactly happened to make you decide you want to deal with the hassle of buying all new equipment???

Mike,

Wait a few months! Canon is coming out with something new in September supposedly! The 20D might have a successor soon.

I, as well as some of the other guys you know, are all interested in waiting one month after the new camera comes out to read reviews and learn about it....and then get several bodies as a group to save money.

You should join us.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Thanks Phil, let me know if you see something.

Aaa geese Josh, kinda long story, here goes. Wanting to upgrade, and Nikon gives us only one choice.................

Reasoning the D2x:
    Use: action aviation photos. Greater speed and frames. Has a high speed mode that gives you a 2.0 magnification factor. Would mainly shoot JPEG that delivers 6.8MP. Standard mode is 12.4 MP. Always needing more speed without loosing a stop in aperture, thus the 2.0 in camera is very valuable to me.

So in July I got the D2x. Very disappointing! Lots of bad shots. Quick reasons. The 80-400 is a mid-quality lens. Its not a good match with such a wicked camera as the D2x. The top of the line camera needs the top of the line lens for it to perform all out. PS, that's why "another" Nikon D2x guy is almost only doing 10.5mm fish eye shots with his! Surprise, surprise... I've pioneered the use of this camera for its purpose as I see fit. One can find tons of reviews of its use taking on the 1Ds, portraits, landscapes only. Not action.

Had to return the D2x. Store in NJ only gives credit, not $, ouch...

Math time:
    D2x, $5,000.00 (camera now gone and so is my $, store credit)
    The "right lens", the 200-400 VR, 4.0 (Super-telephoto) $5,500.00

Ok, I was able to pull off the big 5 for the body.....but can't do the 5.5 more for a lens too!!!! And that muther is long and heavy!!!!!!!!!! Will not fit in a camera bag and joe-q-public will freak if its seen near an airport!

So for my 5,000 I can:
    Try another D2x, and did, and returned that one too.
    Or get:
    20D
    100-400mm
    20-135mm
    10-22mm
    580ex speedlight
    bp-511a extra battery
    two 1GB extreme III cards
    BG-E2 battery/ver grip
    and UV filters.......................and still have some credit!

Even considered the 1D, but it has only a 1.3 magnification factor, no good for us that don't live on the ramp!

To me what it all comes down to:
    Nikon plus: easy of controls, redundant info, unparalleled ergonomics.
    Canon plus: best low light and performance, color and the least noise.

ps-my D100 mirror came undone and the shutter/curtain is jammed. So do I send in a $450.00 to $550.00 street value camera for a few hundred (or more ) for repair??????? And its just out of its extended 3 year warranty...............son ofa bitc$!!!!

Mike

Mike, I won't even paly the Canon/Nikon rivalry, but it does seem like Canon might be the best choice for you.

Again, if you're willing to hold off, I think it would be worth waiting to see if something new comes out from Canon.

Phil,

Please share more.

I only see dp-review showing a rumor of the 20D replacement possibly sporting a full frame sensor or a 1.3xs and 12MP . Also says no sooner than next February.

If any of those are so I'll go for the 20D, less magnification and huge MP is worthless for what we do.

Mike

I don't understand what you mean by magnifation. Are you talking about crop factor? If the megapixel is higher....can't we crop more?

The 20D has been out for a while, and it came out only a few months after I got my 10D, just as my 550EX flash became "obsolete" a month after I bought that too. I don't want to get scooped again like that.

I heard the rumor that it was September, and what you explained is similar to whatI heard about the camera, so maybe Feb is more likely.

...newbie throwing in his 2 cents.
    Wife begged me to get new camera. (no joke).
    We decided on the Canon Digital Rebel XT, haven't had a chance to download the few pictures I took yet. I'll post one or two for criticism.
    Fair warning, they will not have been photoshoped so I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks!
    John
    Patchogue, NY

Yes Phil,

Magnification is from crop factor.

As always, whats important to you, or shall I say whats needed.

If your taking pics for the net or making prints on average under 25 inches then you don't need to really go above 6 MP (from a DSLR, compact units don't apply, different size, smaller pixels)

I'm not in need or want to make giant file sizes, its not needed many times.

My mission statement-Use the right tool for the job.
    Example, I can drive to the airport to go spotting in a tractor trailer. Big, bulky, slow and costs more in time to do so. Or just use my little Jeep, very efficient and accomplishes the goal just as good, and better.

Do what works for you.
    If a person loves to spend as much time as possible in front of a monitor and processes pics, burn huge dvds full, pack 15 4GB cards for spotting, then go for it.

For me, these days , now I'm in the know, 98% of the time I'll shoot JPEG and have no reason to tangle with huge files. Just shoot it right in the camera is best.

What about just buying another D100, or perhaps even the D70? The price is certainly right on those, and then you wouldn't be losing your investments in all of your Nikon equipment. As for the store credit you'd have left over, you could put it towards some better lenses if you think the 80-400 isn't working out for you.

As a side note, I'm perfectly happy with my D100 and the 80-400. Never had a problem with either, and the picture quality coming out of my camera is perfectly fine. It does, however, piss me off that Nikon is lagging so far behind in terms of a competitor for the 20D. If I want to eventually upgrade my camera, I might end up in the same boat you are in terms of what direction to go.

Josh

Josh,

I general I like my set up too, its just I'm ready for a change. I want more.

The 80-400 on the D100 is good, just wont do well on the D2x.

And since I went for the D2x my $ is gone, so I have to spend the 5K on something or loose it!

Going to send in my D100 for an estimate tomorrow, for starters.

As for the gear, one can sell it and recoup some. Its the body that's real low on value.

Mike

HELP!

Sorry to have to ask this, but I have a picture on my C drive which I would like to post in the forum. How do I do this? I see the Insert Image line above this box, but what do I show for an image_url?
    Again, I apologize if this has been covered somewhere before, but I've never posted a photo in a forum, nor do I have a website. Thanks for putting up with me.

OK

This thread is going nowhere fast.

As for Canon guys, thank you Phil for your input.

I was hoping all you other Canon guys would step up and tell me more..................I know your reading this........

Mike :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Well, I don't know what to say, really.

Phil makes a great point about this alleged new Canon body...it's always bittersweet when you buy a 1 year old DSLR.

But, there's a but. And keep in mind that I'm biased, so just substitute "20D" for whatever camera you love and have been using the most, and maybe you'll understand what I'm trying to say.

The 20D is a beautiful camera and quite a beast in terms of performance. AF locks on quickly and the 9 AF-points help a lot with that, the 5 frames/second are crazy. ISO 100 should make you giggle like a little girl after being with Nikon for so long, but be 'warned' that ISO is not displayed in the viewfinder.

The body is light but the 100-400 makes it considerably meatier than the D100 and 80-400 (I've held Josh's).

It's turning out to be one helluva performer. I have no qualms with it whatsoever as an aviation camera. I personally feel that Canon is going to pop out a bridge between the 20D and 1-series in these coming months which would probably mean bigger sensors and overkill when shooting at an airport. However, the last few years make me think otherwise (about one year is all there was from D30 to D60 to 10D to 20D, so who knows?).

Hey, exactly one year ago I was bent on the 10D. I waited a few weeks (primarily because I still live with my parents!) and ended up with something absolutely kickass.

Maybe hang around a few more weeks until some of these big photo shows pass (Photokina?). Canon may announce something then.

Whatever you decide, though, the 20D will surely impress you. We'll have to meet up and get my camera around your neck so you can see for yourself! :)

Brian
    "My wife is an air traffic controller. I married her because I've always wanted to screw the FAA." - B. Wulle

Agree with you 100% Mike.

A 20D in your hands - can only imagine you'll get awesome results.

Whats to wait for? As you indicated, probably not much for our purposes.

The 100-400 IS ? - No issues really. I know that if I aim it near near vertical I've had the image "jump" - can't explain it really. So I generally refrain from that.

Also - you'll want to get this ASAP.. some good stuff coming up. :)

- Tom
    "Keep 'em Flying"