Thread: What's the name of this airport

What's the name of this airport

This was taken on CX830 bound JFK on 7/24/2005. It's upstate somewhere 30 minutes to JFK.
    The best never rests. When he rests, he'll R. I. P..

From the configuration, and what appear to be C-5s on the ramp, it looks like Stewart, in Newburgh, NY

http://www.airnav.com/airport/KSWF

Quote Originally Posted by moose135
    From the configuration, and what appear to be C-5s on the ramp, it looks like Stewart, in Newburgh, NY

http://www.airnav.com/airport/KSWF
    Dave
    The best never rests. When he rests, he'll R. I. P..

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s
    i'll give you a dollar if you can figure out what the blue and white wide-bodies are on the lower right-hand side of the picture, just to the left of the threshold fof rwy 34. i'll give you another dollar if you can tell me why.
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Quote Originally Posted by cancidas
    i'll give you a dollar if you can figure out what the blue and white wide-bodies are on the lower right-hand side of the picture, just to the left of the threshold fof rwy 34.
    They are airplanes.

Quote Originally Posted by cancidas
    i'll give you another dollar if you can tell me why.
    They are there because it is an airport, and that's where airplanes go.

Do I win?

It is definitely SWF - Newburgh, NY. C5's and the NYS Thruway are the giveaways.

Not to mention the long ass runway...

747s are KLM and, I believe, Air France. They're inactive.

- Tom
    "Keep 'em Flying"

you get no money josh... that was just silly... besides you make enough already. :P

yea, the runway is long. i flew in there once and the two center exits were closed for construction. i had to taxi along the runway to the far end to get off... took me about 10 minutes. felt like doing a few touch-and-go's on the way... probably would have gotten 3 or 4 in if atc would have let me.
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Interesting aiport. Dedicated Air Force base I believe through the 50s and maybe 1960s.

In the 1970s, I was taking Amtrak upstate along the Hudson River and was very surprised to see a Pan Am 747 climbing out. I don't believe Pan Am had any scheduled service there - certainly not 747s even if they did. Since that time, people have suggested Cargo or Training flight.

Its all regional jets and commuter props right now I believe, but did see
    an American 727 pull up to the gate a few years back. There was also charter service to Mexico on the weekends not too many years back. That was the only "International" pax service I recall. I believe the jets were Taesa used in that case.

Still interesting Cargo airlines/airliners from time to time. Including AN-225. VIPs as well. Two short fuselage DC-8s have been there in the last two years.

After his passing, President Richard Nixon was flown from Stewart amongst much pomp and circumstance aboard one of the 707s that servced as Air Force One during his time in office.

- Tom
    "Keep 'em Flying"

tom i do believe that Fedex has scheduled freight service into SWF... aside from that it's just regional traffic.