Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TSA - Robs $5,000 from passenger

TSA - Robs $5,000 from passenger

Saw this story on ABC: http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?se...ork&id=8528737

TSA is here to protect you and rob you blind!

And they worry about spotters......when was the last time you saw a spotter rob you blind?
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    Every agency has bad apples. Police, Fireman commit crimes too. Your beef is probably more with PA than TSA. Unless of course you are stupid enough to leave that much cash in your jacket.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

No beef with the PA, and it's probably one bad apple in the Big Apple! By the way, $5,000 would be a partial payment for a nice 500mm or 600mm lens.
    Mark
    Queens, NY

You really have your eye on those supertelephotos, don't you Mark

My money's on you getting one or the other by Jones Beach in May

Quote Originally Posted by Zee71 View Post
    No beef with the PA, and it's probably one bad apple in the Big Apple! By the way, $5,000 would be a partial payment for a nice 500mm or 600mm lens.
    Nahh D4!
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

It's all about the glass!!! Although the D4 doesn't sound bad either. Hey brother............can you spare a few grand???
    Mark
    Queens, NY

Wait, so everyone's giving Phil Mocek a hard time for not showing his ID, talking about how much of a security risk that is, and airplanes going down, then downplaying yet another TSA theft as a bad apple? If some TSA employees are concentrating more on how to steal your possessions, than actually checking for weapons/explosives/contraband/etc., isn't that a huge security risk? And if these are just the employees getting caught, chances are there are more not getting caught. Just saying.
    Last edited by Cary; 2012-02-02 at 07:42 PM.
    General Photography - Website | Instagram
    PlaneCaptures - Website | Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Cary View Post
    Wait, so everyone's giving Phil Mocek a hard time for not showing his ID, talking about how much of a security risk that, and airplanes going down, then downplaying yet another TSA theft as a bad apple? If some TSA employees are concentrating more on how to steal your possessions, than actually checking for weapons/explosives/contraband/etc., isn't that a huge security risk? And if these are just the employees getting caught, chances are there are more not getting caught. Just saying.
    Like, +1, re-tweet!

hhehehe, good one Cary, good one.
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Also last night, same terminal, the daughter of a former Israeli defense minister was arrested on a Florida drug warrant.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Quote Originally Posted by Cary
    then downplaying yet another TSA theft as a bad apple?
    How did I downplay it? What are we supposed to do get rid of the TSA now because some of their employees are opportunistic thieves? Like I have asked countless times to all the TSA haters. Give me a better alternative that gets the same results in air safety that can be implemented and I am all for it. I haven't heard any.

If some TSA employees are concentrating more on how to steal your possessions, than actually checking for weapons/explosives/contraband/etc., isn't that a huge security risk?
    He was looking for weapons and contraband how do you think he found the money? Osmosis? TSA agents don't have to concentrate on ways to steal out stuff. It's right in front of them.

And if these are just the employees getting caught, chances are there are more not getting caught. Just saying.
    Any agency or company with easy access to potential stuff to steal , TSA, Police, UPS, baggage handlers etc have a small % of people who steal . Only since you hate the TSA now all of a sudden they are lax in doing their job as a whole if a bad apple partakes in the crime? So by your reasoning if a police officer or UPS driver is found to be stealing the whole agency or company is rendered useless?

Sounds amazingily short sighted. Just saying...

Quote Originally Posted by Zee71
    It's all about the glass!!! Although the D4 doesn't sound bad either. Hey brother............can you spare a few grand???
    True, If I had 5k I may make manny an offer for his 200-400 but that D4 looks sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by NIKV69 View Post
    How did I downplay it? What are we supposed to do get rid of the TSA now because some of their employees are opportunistic thieves? Like I have asked countless times to all the TSA haters. Give me a better alternative that gets the same results in air safety that can be implemented and I am all for it. I haven't heard any.
    You just dismissed it as HER being a bad apple, then blamed the Pakistani guy for leaving the money in his coat. I didn't say anything about getting rid of the TSA. Where did you get that assumption from?

He was looking for weapons and contraband how do you think he found the money? Osmosis? TSA agents don't have to concentrate on ways to steal out stuff. It's right in front of them.
    She put it in a plastic glove and took it to a bathroom. You don't think that required any thought?

Any agency or company with easy access to potential stuff to steal , TSA, Police, UPS, baggage handlers etc have a small % of people who steal . Only since you hate the TSA now all of a sudden they are lax in doing their job as a whole if a bad apple partakes in the crime? So by your reasoning if a police officer or UPS driver is found to be stealing the whole agency or company is rendered useless?

Sounds amazingily short sighted. Just saying...
    I hate the TSA?? Really? I didn't say the TSA was useless because of a few bad apples. But if you or others are concerned about people getting on a flight without ID, you should be equally concerned with some TSA employees who seem to be more interested in stealing than protecting your flight. At what point are the bad apples providing security for your flight when they are busy putting money in gloves and running off to the bathroom? That's all I'm saying.

You just dismissed it as HER being a bad apple, then blamed the Pakistani guy for leaving the money in his coat. I didn't say anything about getting rid of the TSA. Where did you get that assumption from?
    I didn't dismiss anything. She committed a crime and should be put in jail. We know this. You are inferring that an isolated theft translates into total lack of respect and faith in the TSA. It's not hard to see.

She put it in a plastic glove and took it to a bathroom. You don't think that required any thought?
    Now you are spinning and running away from your prior statement. You once again inferred that since an agent was caught stealing something she came across in her normal duties of searching bags and garments going through a checkpoint that she is totally igoring her duties thinking of ways to rip people off. Which of course is false since TSA theft is a direct result of them doing their duties in screening.

I hate the TSA?? Really? I didn't say the TSA was useless because of a few bad apples.
    Could have fooled me.

But if you or others are concerned about people getting on a flight without ID, you should be equally concerned with some TSA employees who seem to be more interested in stealing than protecting your flight
    I am concerned but what do we do? You still seem to be using a passive aggressive false scenario here. I doubt TSA is more concerned with finding 5k in a jacket than stopping contraband from getting on a plane. These crimes by the TSA are crimes of opportunity not pre-planned. Do UPS drivers that steal take the job because they love to steal and want to build up their bank account by theft? Of course not. This is lunacy.

I also fail to see how Mr. Mocek has anything to do with this. Unless of course you loathe the TSA which is very obvious here. What next? I hope you don't agree with his idea of teaching all air travelers to fight so they can engage a hijacker in flight as an alternative to the TSA. I mean that has to be the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen posted here.

I didn't dismiss anything. She committed a crime and should be put in jail. We know this. You are inferring that an isolated theft translates into total lack of respect and faith in the TSA. It's not hard to see.

Now you are spinning and running away from your prior statement. You once again inferred that since an agent was caught stealing something she came across in her normal duties of searching bags and garments going through a checkpoint that she is totally igoring her duties thinking of ways to rip people off. Which of course is false since TSA theft is a direct result of them doing their duties in screening.

Could have fooled me.

I am concerned but what do we do? You still seem to be using a passive aggressive false scenario here. I doubt TSA is more concerned with finding 5k in a jacket than stopping contraband from getting on a plane. These crimes by the TSA are crimes of opportunity not pre-planned. Do UPS drivers that steal take the job because they love to steal and want to build up their bank account by theft? Of course not. This is lunacy.

I also fail to see how Mr. Mocek has anything to do with this. Unless of course you loathe the TSA which is very obvious here. What next? I hope you don't agree with his idea of teaching all air travelers to fight so they can engage a hijacker in flight as an alternative to the TSA. I mean that has to be the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen posted here.
    Your response is so ridiculous, I give up. For the king of inferences, you sure think I inferred a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Cary View Post
    Your response is so ridiculous, I give up. For the king of inferences, you sure think I inferred a lot.
    Just going by what you posted. Mark opened the door and you walked in to sound the alarm on how the TSA is a band of rogue thieves more interested in stealing than screening from a few isolated incidents then tried to backtrack with a standard (just saying). I gave you the opportunity to clarify and you turned it around to make it be that I am not concerned about theft which is of course is off the wall. As was Mr. Mocek's behavior and inference that we can have safe skies by simply letting people waltz into airports without having to identify ourselves or commit to a pat down or more screening since we don't have ID. Then saying make cockpit doors stronger and teach passengers to engage in hand to hand combat. (sorry but I get such a hearty laugh from that one)

Again if I am mistaken and you merely have concerns about the TSA fine but me thinks we are going down the usual road here when it comes to this topic.

OK Nick, how about no ID. Just a metal detector, and NOTHING on board the main cabin but the person and their clothes. NOTHING carry on. All checked luggage goes through MRI or CT. Would that work for you? I don;t care if it is the TSA or the NSA... no background checks, no nothing just strict checks of the person and NOTHING absolutely NOTHING but real cotton or polyester and human flesh gets on board the cabin. Security will not interact with the passengers in any way other than screening. No ID checks, nothing but the ticket saying you paid to get on the plane. I'd pass a law that says there is NO communication between the checker and the checkee ROTFL.

True, If I had 5k I may make Manny an offer for his 200-400 but that D4 looks sweet.
    NOW you're talking my game. Nick, I require no ID... American Express (and by that I mean, American money, on the spot (express)), and we do business. Got I love Craig's List. I have never given a care about the guy or girl handing me the cash for my goods... ain't it pretty? And no thanks, I don't need TSA to protect me, I can protect myself just fine, thank you very much :P

Oh and one more thing, the BEST way to stop the terrorism fears is to STOP PI**ING PEOPLE OFF!!! Nick, wouldn't you agree that the reason this whole hatred thing started is because we pi**ed off some people really badly. I am sorry to say but, I have not heard of much crime of any kind, including terrorism, in Tonga! If we mind our own business, I am just saying, we may not be in this predicament. I believe they are winning any time you and I are arguing about our freedoms and why we must give them up... As my friend says: 'Jessuchrist!'
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS