Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: World's Fair Marina 8/13

Senior Member AirtrafficController's Avatar

World's Fair Marina 8/13

Went out to the Marina for some 31 arrivals and banking shots. Need help on editing.

Got the Dash-8 in new colors:

Aspires to become an Air Traffic Controller at Kennedy Tower.
    http://web01.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=31094

Re: World's Fair Marina 8/13

Well, first off:

Your F stop is too large, your ISO is OK at 200, but try to leave it at 100. You want your shutter speed 2x your focal length (so 1/600th)

And the final problem, you got a sucky lens. the 70-300 (non-IS) is a horrible lens....
    nwa FOREVER!

Are we a little harsh today, Matty?

Some nice catches there Luke, if you need help with editing send me some of the pics you want edited and I'll see what I can do.

[email protected]

Yeah, little harsh indeed.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Haha, sorry about that. My bad. :)
    nwa FOREVER!

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS

Well, first off:

Your F stop is too large, your ISO is OK at 200, but try to leave it at 100. You want your shutter speed 2x your focal length (so 1/600th)

And the final problem, you got a sucky lens. the 70-300 (non-IS) is a horrible lens....
    A bit harsh, but maybe some tough love. I thought part of the reason for boards like this was to post our work but to also improve?

What ever lens you are using you have to follow some basics. As far as ISO goes 100 is great but remember you will have to hold the camera very still, bumping it up to 200 in Good light is ok and no fear of grain. Don't exceed 200 tho. Keep the F stop around F8 and choose mode that lets the camera picks the shutter. As Matt said 1/600th or a little more will be good. You got blur issues on some of your shots. Be mindful of your settings, white balance is important too. Image Stabilization or Vibration reduction is great but getting as close as you did at the marina I don't think it's that important. When I am that close I use my 80-200 and it doesn't have it and my results are fine. You have to practice framing and holding that thing steady when you go to press the shutter. Get a good book on photography and experiment with different settings when you shoot. Just don't sit there between planes. Check your shots and data and histograms. Adjsut accordingly.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

By any chance did you get a NW 757 coming in around 10:30 a.m.?
    Wings Down Under on Flightglobal

Thanks guys for the help and tips, really appreciate it. Plan to hit JFK this week for more practice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winglets747
    By any chance did you get a NW 757 coming in around 10:30 a.m.?
    I was at the marina from 3-5pm.

Cool stuff. When I squint my eyes the Midwest shot looks pretty good. Maybe it is the 48 hours without any sleep though. Well, back to minding the taxiway contruction.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

You know this is the second post in about a week where people are bashing other people's photos...What the heck is going on? I'm really surprised at the level of total disrespect I see lately. You know the first lens I started out with was a Tamron 70-300 and it cost me 129 bucks...you know why I got it because it was what I could afford at the time and I was just starting out. My first shots were similar to some of the other first timers shots here and nothing that would ever make a front page of even a high school newsletter. You have to start out somewhere and Airtraffic's shots show a great improvement over the first ones he shared with us. If you don't like how someone shoots then keep it to yourself or discuss it in private and not in the forum.

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS

it cost me 129 bucks
    Darn I wish I knew that when I bought my D70 I bought that lens from Celmer and it cost me more than that!

Tommy has a point, though I don't mind the harsh criticism. On anet I got it from JeffM and others and in the end it helped more than it hurt. Rmember what doesn't kill us makes us stronger. Ok there has been so much tension here I am bringing in the happy dance!

'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Sorry for being a bit harsh...
    nwa FOREVER!

Apology accepted

Phil and others,
    Why not set up a spotting training session? Pick a date and place and invite others such as ATC and share your knowledge and experience?
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

We're actually creating something to help people learn and familiarize themselves with the hobby. Hang out though, might take a couple months. :(
    Email me anytime at [email protected].