Thread: Retro Colors

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s

Retro Colors

i was talking about this last night here in the office and just found out that Continental is preparing to take delivery of one of thier new 739ERs in a retro paint scheme. now that COA is jupming on the retro scheme bandwagon i'm kinda hoping they do it right, but would also love to see one airplane painted in each of thier former colors schems. that's a better idea IMO than painting a bunch of airplanes in the colors of sports team with which an airline has no affiliation.

apparently the above is the chart that was shown to COA employees to choose from. i like the idea of a retro scheme a bit more than i like the idea of AWE's heritage scheme only because in keeping the airlines name we had to alter the schemes a bit. i think it's kinda lame to choose only one retro scheme and go with it. is there anyone who knows who to contact at COA to let them know? surely they've got to have a few planes coming up for a D check soon and will need new paint anyway.

i also like the idea of putting the colors on the 739ER. that airplane is closest in size to the 707s that used to bear those colors. it's also the first (i think, may be wrong) 739 in a special scheme. i'd love to hear waht flyingcolors especially has to say on this one...
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Re: Retro Colors

Great post, Matt.

Personally, the retro schemes that copy the silver schemes from the 30s are now common and boring. I would much rather see more recent, but previous, schemes. The Continental Contrails scheme would be my favorite. It's a scheme that I remember seeing, but never got to enjoy because it was before my conscious enthusiast days. Similarly, the white United scheme offers the same appeal.

Your call on the 739/707 comparison is right on. Perfect comparison, and I'd love to see that.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s

a few more ideas here:

personlly i prefer they stick to just the COA colors as opposed to hybrids. i'd also like to see some bare metal on the early early schemes.
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Mmh, I'd love to see any one of the 50's schemes. So classy. :)

bring back the flaming meatballs!
    Have you ever seen a grown man naked?

Can't wait to see these - they come into FLL a lot!!!
    Mark Lawrence - KFLL
    Davie, FL

Community Manager NYCAviation.com
    email: [email protected]

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=1538
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/9633283@N04/