Page 9 of 38 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: Uploading to Anet/JP? Pre-Screen Here!

I had three rejections on this one until I got it just acceptable to the screeners who helped lead me in the right direction

I think overall balance outweighs centering but it is subjective by the screener you draw too :-/
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzalu View Post
    @Nathan, that image is just rocking!!!! Keep it going. Let me know if you want me to help you with the cloning... I am always looking for practice :-)
    Whoever does it do a good job, if your caught cloning anything other than dust spots bad things can happen. :D
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Nick, you must be talking about uploading to a database, not? I was simply speaking of helping the photographer get a better picture for himself/herself. I don;t think I ever mentioned it would be for "circumvention" or "deception" of the screeners at any online DB so, not sure why you think anyone is doing that?

Seriously, I do not condone that either. But I do admit to cloning out a branch or an antenna, or a Burlington Coat Factory sign and so forth... that's for me to know. And as for clonign in a wing or a wheel truck, well, that's just plain unethical
    Manny Gonzalez

Quote Originally Posted by gonzalu View Post
    Nick, you must be talking about uploading to a database, not? I was simply speaking of helping the photographer get a better picture for himself/herself. I don;t think I ever mentioned it would be for "circumvention" or "deception" of the screeners at any online DB so, not sure why you think anyone is doing that?

Seriously, I do not condone that either. But I do admit to cloning out a branch or an antenna, or a Burlington Coat Factory sign and so forth... that's for me to know. And as for clonign in a wing or a wheel truck, well, that's just plain unethical
    I just assumed he is uploading since he posted in JP/Anet prescreen thread. Either way it makes him aware that if he does there is no cloning except for dust.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Quote Originally Posted by NIKV69 View Post
    I just assumed he is uploading since he posted in JP/Anet prescreen thread. Either way it makes him aware that if he does there is no cloning except for dust.
    That just confirms my suspicion that these people don't exactly understand photography too much. Cloning out noise, heat haze, dust, scratches, obtrusive wires and foilage are all things that should be OK in any editing process. You are not fundamentally changing the structure or the photo or the subject, just cleaning it. Guess I will officially just give up.

This photo here was TERRIBLE with wires and poles everywhere. Now it's kind of nice. If the editing I did to it is not acceptable then I guess I won't share it with people that don't actually appreciate the art of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan McGrew View Post
    That just confirms my suspicion that these people don't exactly understand photography too much. Cloning out noise, heat haze, dust, scratches, obtrusive wires and foilage are all things that should be OK in any editing process. You are not fundamentally changing the structure or the photo or the subject, just cleaning it. Guess I will officially just give up.

This photo here was TERRIBLE with wires and poles everywhere. Now it's kind of nice. If the editing I did to it is not acceptable then I guess I won't share it with people that don't actually appreciate the art of it.
    You can use neatimage to remove noise but can't start just cloning out spots of a pic that contain objects or heat distortion. Once you open the floodgates it will just turn into a PS contest and get away from getting good captures. You will have people taking planes and pasting them on other backdrops which is basically what you are doing if you let people clone out poles and trees and other things in the backdrop of a photo.

Nathan, don;t worry, your image would be immediately rejected for MOTIVE because of the crop on the rear left landing gear and / or for EXPOSURE since it is not properly balanced. The image lacks dynamic range and therefore POP.

Look, Airliners.net and JetPhotos.net are NOT the end all, do or die sites... come on, for each taste there is a satisfactory Online Community where you can enjoy your style of photography.

A.net and JP.net have their style and you are their guest. It has nothing to do with personal hatred. It has to do with what THEY prefer. You are either challenged by that and try to contribute to the database or you can go to another community and share your style there. Trust me, you WILL be welcome somewhere.. .there is ALWAYS a community willing to accept you no matter what your style :-)

However if you feel like you want to be a part of their community, you must contribute based on their rules.

Now before we go into a long argument on why some images make it and some don;t while similarly capable to start with, I am a regular victim of such and I just learned to deal with it... it is actually NO BIG DEAL! Move on... there are MILLIONS of photographs to be taken and submitted... heck I still have like 10,000 to submit from the existing queue

Nathan, for creative shots like that above, you may enjoy this website

http://www.airplane-pictures.net/
    Last edited by gonzalu; 2011-03-01 at 04:07 PM.
    Manny Gonzalez

Manny what did the 135 get rejected for?

Thanks for helping me decide to move on from airliners.net. Guess my style just won't mesh with them.

On another note, the MiG is a picture at sunset. It looked like that when I took it, and if people get crabby about cloning, I get crabby about messing with natural light. I like the mood. I don't like the few slightly blown out areas though.

I had this MiG shot rejected for level which is bull because it is a tree in the backdrop that is leaning-

Full Size-
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/seahawk...n/photostream/

Look at the cone that is closer. It is level.
    http://brandonsaviationblog.blogspot.com/ My continuing updated Aviation Blog
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/seahawks7757/ My continuing updated photostream from BFI and sometimes SEA

It's probably in reference to the ground... check the road/tarmac underneath the plane.

I noticed that the ramp at Kilo 7 (formerly Kilo 6) is really really really slanted. As can be seen by this other shot I got on the previous day. Also, for anyone else that's ever been to this location, you'll know what's missing from the background of this west facing shot.

I know this one would get rejected for lots of reasons...Motive for the chopped off nose wheel, plus the picnic table growing out of the wingtip. Probably for level too, even though the subject is level, although the ramp is far from it. Not correctly white balanced, etc...etc...

Plus I erased a lot of power-lines in the sky. Two of them poorly.

Quote Originally Posted by NIKV69 View Post
    Manny what did the 135 get rejected for?
    Nick, at first I centered the rear horizontal stabilizers and that got me an off-centered rejection. Next time, I submitted it the way you see it cropped and got rejected for noise, third time I believe it was because of compression artifacts (stupidity on editing on my part LOL, I killed the sky in one session) 4th time I got the elements sorted out and after speaking with the screeners in the forums, I stood a better chance and it made it.

Quote Originally Posted by seahawks7757 View Post
    I had this MiG shot rejected for level which is bull because it is a tree in the backdrop that is leaning-

Full Size-
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/seahawk...n/photostream/

Look at the cone that is closer. It is level.
    Brandon, sorry man, it is not level becuase of the background elements and the cone itself does not help your argument I think maybe a comment to the screeners that the plane is level and explaining why the fence is REALLY slanted and not the plane would help. But unfortunately, it would get an exposure/color rejection I am pretty sure, and maybe even motive

I noticed that the ramp at Kilo 7 (formerly Kilo 6) is really really really slanted. As can be seen by this other shot I got on the previous day. Also, for anyone else that's ever been to this location, you'll know what's missing from the background of this west facing shot.

I know this one would get rejected for lots of reasons...Motive for the chopped off nose wheel, plus the picnic table growing out of the wingtip. Probably for level too, even though the subject is level, although the ramp is far from it. Not correctly white balanced, etc...etc...

Plus I erased a lot of power-lines in the sky. Two of them poorly.
    I really think NOT for level... it may get the other rejection reasons, but not level as the wings are level to my eyes. and that is far more important to the screeners in this case I think. If indeed the plane SHOULD BE slanted because the tarmac [is] slanted in real life, you can and should argue the reality of the shot is that it is slanted in reality. You can then provide proof with wide angle shots etc... that is if you truly care about the photo and about the right thing to do etc. Otherwise you should not bother at all and move on... I heal my wounds now by submitting COOKIE CUTTER shots after rejections LOL. After a few accepted photos, I push the envelope again!
    Manny Gonzalez

Quote Originally Posted by RomNYC View Post
    It's probably in reference to the ground... check the road/tarmac underneath the plane.
    I never use poles or trees to level, use the horizon. That shot may get in with a little CCW. It's a pretty smashing shot.
    Last edited by NIKV69; 2011-03-01 at 06:45 PM.

Thanks for helping me decide to move on from airliners.net. Guess my style just won't mesh with them.

On another note, the MiG is a picture at sunset. It looked like that when I took it, and if people get crabby about cloning, I get crabby about messing with natural light. I like the mood. I don't like the few slightly blown out areas though.
    Nathan, on the contrary... I would never help anyone move away from anything On the contrary, my style would be to motivate you to the challenge and to meet the bar they lay in front of you and by meeting and beating the bar you will be far more rewarded. To give up and never try, no matter what the excuse is is failure in my book. I am not saying you're quiting, but then that is something only you and your mirror can argue In the end, it is your own self that can point fingers at you... no one else can!
    Manny Gonzalez