Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: The Weather Thread

Tornado Watch in effect for much of the NY/NJ area...

ALBANY BRONX BROOME
    CHENANGO COLUMBIA DELAWARE
    DUTCHESS GREENE KINGS
    MADISON MONTGOMERY NASSAU
    NEW YORK ONEIDA ORANGE
    OTSEGO PUTNAM QUEENS
    RENSSELAER RICHMOND ROCKLAND
    SCHENECTADY SCHOHARIE SULLIVAN
    ULSTER WESTCHESTER
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Thankfully nothing materialized. Pretty cool getting off the train at Hicksville at 6:05 and saw one of the Cablevision S-76s heading into Bethpage and disappearing in the mist and low visibilty. About 10 minutes later I'm on Woodbury Road just east of South Oyster Bay Road and I see a CV S-76 (not sure if the same one) flying low and fast along Rt 135 SB.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
    Thankfully nothing materialized. Pretty cool getting off the train at Hicksville at 6:05 and saw one of the Cablevision S-76s heading into Bethpage and disappearing in the mist and low visibilty. About 10 minutes later I'm on Woodbury Road just east of South Oyster Bay Road and I see a CV S-76 (not sure if the same one) flying low and fast along Rt 135 SB.
    That would have been N401CV

Big Storm moving in after Midnite. Remnants of Tropical Storm Irene heading this way. Forecasters calling for heavy rain maybe up to 4 inches and high winds up to 60MPH. Not to blow out until sometime after Friday rush hour.

Big Storm moving in after Midnite. Remnants of Tropical Storm Irene heading this way.
    Got my girls mixed up. Its Nicole.

Got my girls mixed up. Its Nicole.
    And now they are saying the NYC/LI area should start getting hit by 11PM and run into tomorrows rush hour. Radar looks scary!!
    Crazy morning rush today with deluges on and off. Humidity has been oppresive!!

Despite the worst staying to the west so far, JFK-bound traffic is now on a 5 hour ground delay program.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Wow, if it was not for that front from the west, we would not probably get anything other than a light rain!
    Look at the last 48 hours!
    http://storms.meas.ncsu.edu/users/md...ive/index.html
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

Quote Originally Posted by GothamSpotter View Post
    Despite the worst staying to the west so far, JFK-bound traffic is now on a 5 hour ground delay program.
    Yeah we've been lucky so far!! They've been getting rain/storms all day as that weather just moved north through NJ.

I can't believe that ENTIRE system stayed west of New Jersey like a freight train on its tracks. I guess it just goes to show that no one or anything wants to go to New Jersey. Not even the weather. (For the record, I'm from NJ)
    Have you ever seen a grown man naked?

Reminds me of a couple of years ago (ok, so nearly six years ago) when there was a bunch of snow everywhere except NJ:
    Quote Originally Posted by threeholerglory View Post
    I can't believe that ENTIRE system stayed west of New Jersey like a freight train on its tracks. I guess it just goes to show that no one or anything wants to go to New Jersey. Not even the weather. (For the record, I'm from NJ)
    Phil Gengler - NYCA's "other Phil"

NLovis
    Quote Originally Posted by pgengler View Post
    Reminds me of a couple of years ago (ok, so nearly six years ago) when there was a bunch of snow everywhere except NJ:
    Oh thats a riot. Indeed everything wants to be away from NJ. Lets hope I can advoid going there when EIA starts its winter UPS season. (for those of you EIA during peak from Nov to Dec 25 sends most a/c to support UPS. This is an ideal time to possibly see EIA at EWR, Louieville and maby an oddball flight from the orig supertanker N470EV or 471 into JFK)

Another crazy evening of weather. It has been pouring out since I got home at 5:30 and looking at the radar it doesnt look like it will stop for awhile. Nor'easter coming up the
    coast with high winds following in its wake. One good thing is all of this is happening while I am safely at home and the heavy rains should be over by morning rush. Of course
    who knows how that will turn out. But it is Friday.................

I got 1.5" of rain out in Lake Grove. This may not seem like a lot, but believe it or not, its the most rain from a single 12 hour span we have had in a long while. Hopefully the winds arent anything too severe.

It was a complete fluke.... As usual... It rained for about 3 hours than got breezy... This morning, I wake up and look out the windows to see the sun beaming down.. Quite a few white caps on the water though.... It's saying it's in the 60's right now but I went out to run a few errands wearing a fleece and it was still a bit chilly... Maybe, with a little luck we can squeeze one more day in the low 70'sa out of 2010 before I start making most of my posts from SRQ.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"