Thread: JFK 3/29/2013

Thanks everyone.
    It's hard to take chances but sometimes it's better if you do

http://www.southpawcaptures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/southpawcaptures/
    On Twitter @southpawcapture

Quote Originally Posted by eric8669 View Post
    Are you serious?
    Really looks like whenever someone with less than 20 posts in here says something, they are not taken seriously... Anyways. I've never had any issues whatsoever there, but I've always been there by myself and I do understand the unsafe feeling, especially if it's your first time there.

Old timers, try to bear with the noobs, please.

thank you Rom, You said exactly what i wanted to say... and as i said in the private message i sent to eric...
    The reason i feel unsafe is not because of the people and the neighborhoods that surround the park, I've met some of the people that live in that neighborhood, very nice people... The reason I feel it is unsafe is Because of the park itself. Every time i go to spot there, I am usually the only one there or with a friend. Being in a park or any place like that ANYWHERE, where you are alone and there is no one else around, can lead to some sense of endangerment (atleast for me).

Please bare in mind that I am somewhat new to spotting and I did not mean to offend anybody if I did. I was not even thinking about the surrounding neighborhoods when i made that comment, all I was talking about was Bayswater State Park itself.

Since there has been some confusion about the comment i made, I do not want any enemies and am here to learn about the hobby and enjoy it with as much passion as every other member of NYCA.

I have a question that I would be pleased for someone to answer and would likely clear things up for me.
    In the summer, does the park get used more often, whether it be for (picnics, family outings, or just more spotters in general)? It feels kind of eery and deserted in the winter.
    I am truly sorry for the confusion, Jared.

Yes the park does get more people and bugs during warmer weather. Mostly fisherman but on occasion the park fills up. I myself perfer it empty just the sound of planes.

Quote Originally Posted by RomNYC View Post
    Really looks like whenever someone with less than 20 posts in here says something, they are not taken seriously... Anyways. I've never had any issues whatsoever there, but I've always been there by myself and I do understand the unsafe feeling, especially if it's your first time there.

Old timers, try to bear with the noobs, please.
    Not at all. I didn't even look to see if he was new or old or whatever.

Great stuff Eric!!! I finally got around to processing a few of mine and still have a few more to do (which I'll post some time later tonight). I started out the day at HoBe, and then ended up meeting Eric, and then finishing off the day at the field. Enjoy!

Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

Loving that evergreen shot!!

Jared .... Thanks for the comments. If I can chime in .... I understand your comments about Bayswater, but as Eric mentioned it is one of the best spotting locations JFK has to offer. I've been there alone in the dead of winter and have no problem being there. Yes, during the summer it picks with people and bugs (make sure you get some bug spray). It's a fantastic place for early morning arrivals when they are on the 4s or if you want to shoot 22R departures. Don't be a stranger ... If you see some shooting come over and say hi .... It may be one of us or another fellow spotter.
    Last edited by Zee71; 2013-03-31 at 12:56 AM.
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

Hi Jared, the only reason I dislike Bayswater is that in the winter, you are completely open to the westerly winds and it gets COLD AS S**T, and there is no way to take refuge in your car. Otherwise it's perfect!

Also great shots Mark and Eric

Senior Member Aviation.High.Guy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zee71 View Post
    Great stuff Eric!!! I finally got around to processing a few of mine and still have a few more to do (which I'll post some time later tonight). I started out the day at HoBe, and then ended up meeting Eric, and then finishing off the day at the field. Enjoy![/IMG]
    Mark that Evergreen is extra sweet! Happy Easter
    -Don B.

Thank you everyone... I am probably going to go to bayswater more now that it is getting warmer...and like i said before I am sorta new to spotting and just didn't know what to expect from bayswater... I have been there during the day (hour or two) without camera, then at sunset one time... will post some pictures later

Outstanding photos everyone! I've got to get up to JFK for a day now that it is getting warmer!

If there is also another piece of advise that hasn't been shared here with regards to Bayswater, it's that I would be 1000% sure your car is locked and the valuables out of sight.

Great shots Mark! Love the Emirates....

Rich B

I am definatly going to agree with Steven here...

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Holzinger View Post
    If there is also another piece of advise that hasn't been shared here with regards to Bayswater, it's that I would be 1000% sure your car is locked and the valuables out of sight.
    That's not unique to Bayswater, that pretty well applies anywhere. Heck, I even lock my car in the driveway at home.