PDA

View Full Version : 2021 Bethpage Air Show at Jones Beach - May 29th and 30th

Fighting Falcon
2021-04-20, 08:50 PM
The 2021 Bethpage Air Show at Jones Beach Thread
Hosted by the New York State Office of Parks, Recreation, and Historic Preservation
Title Sponsor: Bethpage Federal Credit Union

***Air show rescheduled to Memorial Day, 5/31, from 12-3pm!***
Link: https://abc7ny.com/community-events/bethpage-air-show-canceled-due-to-inclement-weather/10717169/
All Saturday, Sunday, and healthcare heroes passes will be honored. All others $10 parking pass.

Event Details
Address: Wantagh, NY 11793
Dates: Monday, May 31st
Time: 12pm-3pm
Livestream: abc7ny.com (Saturday only)
Cost: You need to reserve a $10 parking pass for each day (including the Friday practice show). You'll also be given an arrival window.
Note: Parking passes for the Saturday and Sunday shows are sold-out but there are still some available for the Friday practice. Visit the NYS Parks page to purchase your passes.

***Latest Bethpage Air Show News***
[Updated 8:45am, 5/31]: Monday's air show is now open to all, regardless of whether you reserved a parking pass already. Just $10 as usual.

2021 Confirmed Performers:

US Air Force Thunderbirds
US Air Force A-10 Thunderbolt II
C-5 Galaxy (Saturday only!)
US Army Golden Knights Parachute Team
U.S. Coast Guard Search and Rescue Demonstration
American Airpower Museum Warbirds
GEICO Skytypers
Bayport Aerodrome Society
David Windmiller
Mike Goulian
Farmingdale State College Flying Rams

2019's Air Show Attendance:
369,000 attendees (total)
68,000 attendees (Friday)
114,000 attendees (Saturday)
187,000 attendees (Sunday)

This thread will serve as the go-to for all things related to the 2021 Bethpage Air Show at Jones Beach. Join the discussion and be sure to check back on this post, as it will be updated regularly to reflect the most up-to-date information.

Fighting Falcon
2021-04-28, 06:18 PM
Caught a glimpse of David Windmiller landing at Republic yesterday evening!

Speedbagel_001
2021-04-30, 02:59 PM
I'll be stationed over at KFRG, helping out with Civil Air Patrol on the field. As far as I know, this may very well be the first time CAP actually participates IN the Airshow itself, with CAP aircraft. The details are still being worked out.

RCFLYER86
2021-05-02, 12:41 AM
Interesting how they have the 106th and Coast Guard, probably just gonna be some C-130 flybys from the 106th. Also with construction at KFRG I have a feeling that activities there will severely hampered, whole taxiway and ramp area by the museum is being worked on currently. I also have a feeling the A-10s will park where the Blues usually do.

Fighting Falcon
2021-05-04, 10:41 AM
I'll be stationed over at KFRG, helping out with Civil Air Patrol on the field. As far as I know, this may very well be the first time CAP actually participates IN the Airshow itself, with CAP aircraft. The details are still being worked out.

Should be fun to see what comes of it!

Fighting Falcon
2021-05-04, 10:42 AM
Interesting how they have the 106th and Coast Guard, probably just gonna be some C-130 flybys from the 106th. Also with construction at KFRG I have a feeling that activities there will severely hampered, whole taxiway and ramp area by the museum is being worked on currently. I also have a feeling the A-10s will park where the Blues usually do.

I thought the same thing regarding the A10s. The AAM parking lot is already tight as it is with the construction going on. That whole area will be swamped air show weekend.

Fighting Falcon
2021-05-06, 06:34 PM
Lots of action at Republic today. The C-47 seems to have returned for the season and was up in the air for a good part of the day. Also caught a warbird (possibly the SBD-5) in the sky and an aerobatic plane doing a speedy pass upon return to the airport.

Dabbey
2021-05-06, 06:36 PM
Hello all,

I’d like to attend the JBAS on 05/30/21 (Sunday) but wasn’t able to secure a parking pass. Is anybody planning to go that day that has a spare seat in their vehicle and I can hitch a ride with? I’d gladly pay the parking pass fee. I am fully covid19 vaccinated. Please message or call me at 9172880819 or email me: [email protected] if you can be of any assistance. Thank you.

Sincerely,
David Abbey
Queens Village, NY

Fighting Falcon
2021-05-08, 09:51 AM
Hello all,

I’d like to attend the JBAS on 05/30/21 (Sunday) but wasn’t able to secure a parking pass. Is anybody planning to go that day that has a spare seat in their vehicle and I can hitch a ride with? I’d gladly pay the parking pass fee. I am fully covid19 vaccinated. Please message or call me at 9172880819 or email me: [email protected] if you can be of any assistance. Thank you.

Sincerely,
David Abbey
Queens Village, NY

Hope you're able to make it down, David.

AAM Update: 3 Super Hornets are scheduled to arrive at Republic on the morning of Thursday, May 27th. They'll be a static display at the AAM all weekend long.

Fighting Falcon
2021-05-10, 02:24 PM
Skytypers in the air and along Jones Beach this afternoon!

Fighting Falcon
2021-05-13, 01:22 PM
On my most recent check to the Bethpage air show website, I noticed that the 106th and Civil Air Patrol were removed from the featured list of performers. Hope that they're still a part of the show.

ANITIX87
2021-05-18, 12:15 PM
I assume the parking passes are for the beach, not for AAM?

Fighting Falcon
2021-05-18, 07:56 PM
I assume the parking passes are for the beach, not for AAM?

Correct, for the beach only.

Bethpage just announced that the air show is officially 100% sold out (practice day included)!

Chris S
2021-05-19, 10:07 AM
Good to see the 2021 Jones Beach Air show thread up and running here on NYCA again !
FYI - I heard back from the show and the good news is the A-10 Demo jets will be using Republic Airport for the Air Show and won't going out to ISP with the Thunderbirds.
I also talked to one of the guys at the AAM, and he said since the 3 Super Hornets will be on static display on the tarmac between Sheltair and AAM, it looks like the A-10s
will probably be parked on the other side of the airport by the terminal most likely.

Speedbagel_001
2021-05-21, 04:12 PM
On my most recent check to the Bethpage air show website, I noticed that the 106th and Civil Air Patrol were removed from the featured list of performers. Hope that they're still a part of the show.

I am able to confirm that Civil Air Patrol will NOT be participating in the show, as performers with aircraft. This change was a relatively late development. However, CAP personnel (myself included) will still be serving on the field at KFRG, as usual.

Fighting Falcon
2021-05-21, 09:12 PM
Good to see the 2021 Jones Beach Air show thread up and running here on NYCA again !
FYI - I heard back from the show and the good news is the A-10 Demo jets will be using Republic Airport for the Air Show and won't going out to ISP with the Thunderbirds.
I also talked to one of the guys at the AAM, and he said since the 3 Super Hornets will be on static display on the tarmac between Sheltair and AAM, it looks like the A-10s
will probably be parked on the other side of the airport by the terminal most likely.

Just as suspected, thanks for the info Chris!

Fighting Falcon
2021-05-21, 09:14 PM
I am able to confirm that Civil Air Patrol will NOT be participating in the show, as performers with aircraft. This change was a relatively late development. However, CAP personnel (myself included) will still be serving on the field at KFRG, as usual.

Sad to hear, but CAP does do a great job supporting the show year after year at both the beach and airport. Enjoy the sights and sounds at KFRG!

Fighting Falcon
2021-05-21, 09:24 PM
With less than a week to go before the air show events are officially underway, the excitement is in the air! Over the last few days, I've been seeing lots of news coverage and social media posts about the air show next week. Lots of questions being asked too, so it's great to know that people are putting some extra thought into preparations this year. In case anyone didn't hear, the QR codes have been sent out via email this afternoon. There was also news this afternoon that a C-5 Galaxy will be added to the show for Saturday only. Another first for the air show!

In the past, the weekend prior to the air show often saw the first arrivals into KFRG. I know that Sean Tucker and the Screamin' Sasquatch team were ones who have historically arrived early, but without their participation this year I'm wondering who if any may be arriving over the next couple of days. I recall that the Golden Knights were also among the earliest arrivals, although two years ago they only showed up the morning of the Friday practice show.

dekdawg21
2021-05-22, 11:54 AM
With less than a week to go before the air show events are officially underway, the excitement is in the air! Over the last few days, I've been seeing lots of news coverage and social media posts about the air show next week. Lots of questions being asked too, so it's great to know that people are putting some extra thought into preparations this year. In case anyone didn't hear, the QR codes have been sent out via email this afternoon. There was also news this afternoon that a C-5 Galaxy will be added to the show for Saturday only. Another first for the air show!

In the past, the weekend prior to the air show often saw the first arrivals into KFRG. I know that Sean Tucker and the Screamin' Sasquatch team were ones who have historically arrived early, but without their participation this year I'm wondering who if any may be arriving over the next couple of days. I recall that the Golden Knights were also among the earliest arrivals, although two years ago they only showed up the morning of the Friday practice show.

No Sean Tucker this year? Don't recall a show without him!

Fighting Falcon
2021-05-22, 01:31 PM
No Sean Tucker this year? Don't recall a show without him!

Unfortunately not. If I recall correctly he had plans to fly as a part of an aerobatic team, but his team's contract fell through due to COVID and they were forced to cancel everything. He even sold some of his planes.

atenzany62
2021-05-22, 07:11 PM
where are the thunderbirds departing from? can I see them if they're stationed at FRG like the blue angels used to be? unfortunately tickets have been sold out for the show itself

Fighting Falcon
2021-05-22, 09:50 PM
The Thunderbirds stage from MacArthur and unfortunately there isn't any public viewing. Most of the other performers will be based out of Republic, as well as a group of super hornets that are on static display at the American Airpower Museum. So still plenty of action going on at Republic next weekend.

alberchico
2021-05-23, 02:22 PM
What would the best day to head out to the AAM to see all the aircraft? On Saturday ?

Fighting Falcon
2021-05-23, 07:33 PM
What would the best day to head out to the AAM to see all the aircraft? On Saturday ?

Both days should be similar. If you're hoping to catch some of the flyovers, take-offs, and landings, then I'd recommend Saturday. The C-5 Galaxy is only scheduled to participate in the air show on Saturday, so there's a chance (although I'm not sure how likely) that it could do a flyover at Republic before departing from the airspace. The USCG Search and Rescue demo is also only scheduled for Saturday as of now and they'll be based out of New England, so it's conceivable that they could flyover on their way out also.

dekdawg21
2021-05-23, 09:14 PM
Unfortunately not. If I recall correctly he had plans to fly as a part of an aerobatic team, but his team's contract fell through due to COVID and they were forced to cancel everything. He even sold some of his planes.

Wow! That stinks, always loved seeing him (then them) tear up the beach. Was wondering why i couldn't find anything on him for this season.

Dabbey
2021-05-24, 04:48 PM

AAM Update: 3 Super Hornets are scheduled to arrive at Republic on the morning of Thursday, May 27th. They'll be a static display at the AAM all weekend long.

Thanks, maybe I’ll go to AAM if I can’t see the air show at JB. Still looking for a ride and am willing to pay for the pass. It’s not a must see but I’ve enjoyed going to it each year. FRG will be a fair backup if necessary.

Dabbey
2021-05-24, 04:49 PM
Correct. Passes just needed for parking at Jones Beach. Sold out.

ANITIX87
2021-05-25, 10:44 AM
Is there a schedule/timeline yet? I plan to head to AAM on Saturday but if all the 'heavy hitters' are later in the day maybe a move to Stew Leonard's is in the cards for the sun.

WW2 Warbirds
2021-05-25, 11:20 AM

Aside from the 3 Super Hornets. Does anybody know if anything else is going on at the AAM. They really haven't posted any info to the public. I know that things will be limited due to the construction. But I wouldn't have even known about the Super Hornets had it not been for this forum. It just seams like they have been very quiet.

TJK
2021-05-25, 11:32 AM
Any word on the arrival times for the Superhornets Thursday?

WW2 Warbirds
2021-05-25, 01:31 PM
Aside from the 3 Super Hornets. Does anybody know if anything else is going on at the AAM. They really haven't posted any info to the public. I know that things will be limited due to the construction. But I wouldn't have even known about the Super Hornets had it not been for this forum. It just seams like they have been very quiet.

For those who are interested, after doing a great deal of searching on the AAM , I found the following link: http://warbirdsnews.com/aviation-museum-news/american-airpower-museum-join-jones-beach-air-show-ready.html

Cscottrun
2021-05-25, 05:25 PM
For those who are interested, after doing a great deal of searching on the AAM , I found the following link: http://warbirdsnews.com/aviation-museum-news/american-airpower-museum-join-jones-beach-air-show-ready.html

Thanks for posting this. So all we know re: hornets arrival is early Thursday morning? Has anyone found an actual time?

Fighting Falcon
2021-05-25, 09:46 PM
Regarding an air show schedule: I remember that BFCU released a tentative schedule several years back but have since scrapped its public release citing uncertainty due to the weather, airspace regulations, and other operational unknowns. And they weren't lying - to my memory, the Skytypers, Superhornet, Sean Tucker, and the Golden Knights have all had their time slots moved up/back in the last few years (as per Rob Reider's commentary) for various reasons. So the only "definite" time slot is the Thunderbirds from ~2pm on.

Also haven't heard anything specific for the Superhornets yet aside from "early morning" on Thursday.

Dabbey
2021-05-26, 05:37 AM
From Live Air Show TV website, tentative schedule of performers on 05/29/21

https://liveairshowtv.com/bethpage21-schedule/

Dabbey
2021-05-26, 05:39 AM
For anyone not able to secure a parking permit and wanting to attend the Air Show, there is the NICE N88 Bus option. The bus goes from Freeport LIRR to the Central Mall bus stop at Jones beach. I am planning to use this option on Sunday, 05/30

Chris S
2021-05-26, 11:01 AM
Not sure exactly when the (3) EA-18 Growler Super Hornets are due in tomorrow morning,
but I heard the A-10 Demo jets flying in from AZ should be arriving around 3:30 if all goes well.

WW2 Warbirds
2021-05-26, 11:26 AM
Not sure exactly when the (3) EA-18 Growler Super Hornets are due in tomorrow morning,
but I heard the A-10 Demo jets flying in from AZ should be arriving around 3:30 if all goes well.

Is that 3:30 today or tomorrow?

Chris S
2021-05-26, 03:49 PM
Is that 3:30 today or tomorrow?

Thursday, arrival day.
BTW, also heard that the A-10s are going to be parked at Sheltair's new facility across from the Terminal.

Innes
2021-05-26, 04:50 PM
Anybody advise what time the Thunderbirds will arrive tomorrow at macArthur airport

Chris S
2021-05-26, 07:10 PM
Anybody advise what time the Thunderbirds will arrive tomorrow at macArthur airport

Not sure when they'll be arriving tomorrow at ISP, but the FAA TFR has been posted and the T-Birds have the air space over
Jones Beach on Thurs. afternoon from 3:30 to 4:30 to do their circles and arrival to get familiar with Jones Beach area,
so there should be some takeoffs and landings by the T-Bird diamond and then the solo pilots during that time period at ISP also.

Fighting Falcon
2021-05-26, 08:57 PM
Excited for the next few days!

Chris - thanks for providing the TFR info. I actually looked about an hour prior to your post and couldn't find anything at that time. Hoping to catch a bit of the site familiarization tomorrow afternoon.

Chris S
2021-05-27, 06:35 AM
Hey man,

I just made this account to post this info but I think my account is too new to post. For tomorrow at Republic there will be 2 Growlers (not super hornets) arriving in the evening, not the morning. We will be no earlier than 5pm. Likely some tome between 5:30pm and 7pm local if nothing breaks on the trip. Expect the growlers on the ramp at the museum until Tuesday morning with at least one aircrew at the jets for tours and Q&As while the museum is open.

Pass the info on, I don’t want people sitting around all morning waiting for jets that are coming in later.

Have a good night!

FYI - just noticed this private message from a new member "Chunk" who's apparently with the Growler team that's visiting the AAM this weekend.
The info sounds legit especially since I know the Growlers will be traveling cross country today from NAS Whidbey Island, WA.

dekdawg21
2021-05-27, 12:39 PM
Just drove by MacArthur going down Smithtown. Thunderbirds weren't there but they have 3 tents set up and a row of minivans next to where they usually park. They have tape up blocking the grass

MORS-AB-ALTO
2021-05-27, 01:14 PM
Thanks for all the info Chris. I had a feeling it would be Growlers considering The East Coast Rhino team is basically non existent this year. Hope to catch them and the A-10''s arriving in the sunshine today. Happy hunting! So they don't go to waste I have 1 extra parking pass for each day at Jones Beach. They will be on the house PM me if interested.

imyrless
2021-05-27, 01:44 PM
Hi Everyone, first a big THANK YOU to all of you who go out of your way to inform us and keep us up to date on the specifics.

With that, are the A-10’s still planning to fly the beach today to get acquainted? There was a post stating a 3:30-4:30 timeframe today.

Thank You.

-dave-

RepublicAviation
2021-05-27, 01:53 PM
For what it's worth, Flight Radar 24 is reporting Thunderbirds arrival at ISP @ 4:30pm, with their C-17 lagging behind around 6:30pm. I found this info by searching KISP on the app and looking through the scheduled arrivals. Of course, nothing is ever confirmed with these flights so take this as you may. Good luck to everyone and hope the weather holds out. Enjoy the weekend!

RepublicAviation
2021-05-27, 02:17 PM
For what it's worth, Flight Radar 24 is reporting Thunderbirds arrival at ISP @ 4:30pm, with their C-17 lagging behind around 6:30pm. I found this info by searching KISP on the app and looking through the scheduled arrivals. Of course, nothing is ever confirmed with these flights so take this as you may. Good luck to everyone and hope the weather holds out. Enjoy the weekend!

Here is the link to track Thunderbird 1: https://www.flightradar24.com/THBRD01/27d93e4d

Chris S
2021-05-27, 02:43 PM
Here is the link to track Thunderbird 1: https://www.flightradar24.com/THBRD01/27d93e4d

Thanks for that tracking link on Flight Radar 24 for T-Bird #1.
Oh well, doesn't look like the T-Birds will be able to make their scheduled TFR time down at the beach today,
so hopefully they'll be able fly early down at the beach tomorrow when the TFR for the Air Show starts at
10:00AM since it's practice day anyway.

RepublicAviation
2021-05-27, 02:46 PM
No problem. I will be down there for the practice. Would love to see them twice.

Cscottrun
2021-05-27, 02:49 PM

Are the A-10s on there as well? Also, where are they based out of? Republic or Islip? Thanks.

RepublicAviation
2021-05-27, 02:55 PM
Are the A-10s on there as well? Also, where are they based out of? Republic or Islip? Thanks.

It's much harder to track them as they are based out of an AFB, and I'm not sure where they would be staging from if coming from a different show site. Was able to find the Thunderbirds due to them flying out of/into public airports.

WW2 Warbirds
2021-05-27, 02:55 PM
Thanks for that tracking link on Flight Radar 24 for T-Bird #1.
Oh well, doesn't look like the T-Birds will be able to make their scheduled TFR time down at the beach today,
so hopefully they'll be able fly early down at the beach tomorrow when the TFR for the Air Show starts at
10:00AM since it's practice day anyway.

If the Thunderbird's arrival at ISP is 4:30, Any possibility that they are going to use their scheduled TFR at 3:30 and then go to ISP?

fieldywanb
2021-05-27, 03:32 PM
I was at the beach but left after seeing the thunderbirds were so far away. Now at republic. Anyone have any idea when the a10's will be arriving?

RepublicAviation
2021-05-27, 03:37 PM
Looks like the A-10s already arrived at KFRG, BFCU posted a video on their main Instagram page.

fieldywanb
2021-05-27, 03:40 PM
Aaarggghhh, so nothing here until later, I guess I'll drive over to Islip. Thank you.

WW2 Warbirds
2021-05-27, 03:41 PM
A-10s have definitely arrived. I have my scanner on. I heard them talking to the tower a while ago.

fieldywanb
2021-05-27, 03:45 PM
I see thunderbird 1 is flying with a stratotanker. Will that be arriving at Islip as well or is it just refueling all the thunderbirds?

ANITIX87
2021-05-27, 03:49 PM
Is there a runway the F-18s will definitely use at FRG over the others? With it being late afternoon, the Stew Leonard's seems like a good bet if they use Runway 19. If they're on 14, though, one of the parking lots on Broadhollow might be the way to go.

fieldywanb
2021-05-27, 03:54 PM
Is there a runway the F-18s will definitely use at FRG over the others? With it being late afternoon, the Stew Leonard's seems like a good bet if they use Runway 19. If they're on 14, though, one of the parking lots on Broadhollow might be the way to go.

I think there is only 1 runway at republic right now. Usually when the blue angels come no matter what they use runway 32. Runway 32 is what is being used for the civilian flights right now. Usually you can park on new highway on the shoulder and not be bothered by anyone

ANITIX87
2021-05-27, 04:02 PM
Thanks, maybe I'll see you there if I can get this client to stop talking to me on the phone.

TJK
2021-05-27, 04:03 PM
I think there is only 1 runway at republic right now. Usually when the blue angels come no matter what they use runway 32. Runway 32 is what is being used for the civilian flights right now. Usually you can park on new highway on the shoulder and not be bothered by anyone

32 is in use right now and was used for the A-10s. That being said, I think 1/19 are open although not in use at the moment. I’d guess they’re still use 32 unless there’s a wind shift.

fieldywanb
2021-05-27, 04:23 PM
32 is in use right now and was used for the A-10s. That being said, I think 1/19 are open although not in use at the moment. I’d guess they’re still use 32 unless there’s a wind shift.

I hadn't realized they finished construction on 1/19

WW2 Warbirds
2021-05-27, 04:27 PM
I hadn't realized they finished construction on 1/19

Actually, I am not sure if that they did finish work on 1/19. I heard the tower on my scanner this morning talking to a pilot and they said that they weren't sure when 1/19 would be open. They said it could be tomorrow or next week. But that it still wasn't open yet.

fieldywanb
2021-05-27, 04:31 PM
Just got by Islip. Anyone have any good places to park to see the thunderbirds?

Fighting Falcon
2021-05-27, 04:47 PM
Lots of great insightful info on here. Thanks to everyone for sharing. Two years ago, I recall that the Tbirds did do a site familiarization (either 4-ship or opposing solos, can’t remember which) before landing at MacArthur. They did it again with the others on practice morning. With the TFR having expired I’m not sure if they would do something similar on their approach today but we shall see.

dekdawg21
2021-05-27, 04:47 PM

No longer showing Thunderbird1, stopped saying they were about 14 minutes out

fieldywanb
2021-05-27, 04:48 PM
No longer showing Thunderbird1, stopped saying they were about 14 minutes out

Found him over Connecticut. Just about to hit the LI sound

RepublicAviation
2021-05-27, 04:50 PM
Found him over Connecticut. Just about to hit the LI sound

Yeah, about 3/4 of the way through the flight a second "Thunderbird 1" popped up on the Radar from Sioux Falls (not sure why), but that is the one to keep track of now.

https://www.flightradar24.com/THBRD1/27d9b7c9

WW2 Warbirds
2021-05-27, 04:54 PM
I am picking up the Thunderbirds on my scanner. I am in Farmingdale. So they are in the area.

fieldywanb
2021-05-27, 04:59 PM
They have arrived

fieldywanb
2021-05-27, 05:00 PM
Any word on the e18's?

MORS-AB-ALTO
2021-05-27, 05:15 PM
32 is still in use and BUSY. Missed the A-10's by 5 minutes bit I'll be here with my ladder waiting for the Growlers to arrive in the PERFECT light.

fieldywanb
2021-05-27, 05:34 PM
Does anyone know what is down at Jones beach right now doing circles that left farmingdale?

RepublicAviation
2021-05-27, 05:44 PM
Does anyone know what is down at Jones beach right now doing circles that left farmingdale?

My guess is the Skytypers, saw a formation of 3 fly over my place not too long ago.

Fighting Falcon
2021-05-27, 05:47 PM
Yep it was Skytypers. Doing a rough run through.

ANITIX87
2021-05-27, 05:50 PM
32 is still in use and BUSY. Missed the A-10's by 5 minutes bit I'll be here with my ladder waiting for the Growlers to arrive in the PERFECT light.
I must be standing 50 feet away from you, then. Bright blue t-shirt and checkered blue shorts. Come say hi if you want, there are too many ladders for me to pick you out, haha

fieldywanb
2021-05-27, 05:56 PM
Yep it was Skytypers. Doing a rough run through.

Thank you. Will be nice to see them come back to farmingdale

fieldywanb
2021-05-27, 06:03 PM
For anyone still by Islip the globe master should be there soon. Just getting over conmecticut

ANITIX87
2021-05-27, 07:19 PM
F-18s just landed at FRG. Did a low pass, a touch-and-go, and a full-stop.

fieldywanb
2021-05-27, 07:33 PM
F-18s just landed at FRG. Did a low pass, a touch-and-go, and a full-stop.

They put on quite the little show

RepublicAviation
2021-05-27, 08:30 PM
Thunderbirds confirmed on their Twitter that they will be flying at 10am and 2pm tomorrow (Friday).

Fighting Falcon
2021-05-27, 08:43 PM
Agreed, it was a great little show at KFRG courtesy of the Growlers! The touch-and-go's surprised me - a nice added bonus. Fingers crossed for great weather tomorrow and over the weekend!

Chris S
2021-05-28, 12:22 AM
Yeah, the Growlers did a nice lil show for us at FRG this evening. BTW, I got to talk to "Chunk", the Growler pilot who gave me the info about their arrival time,
and he told me the Growlers will departing FRG on Tues. morning around 11AM for those interested in seeing that too. Good hear the T-Birds will be flying
at the beach tomorrow morning right away at 10AM and hopefully they'll be able to fly again at 2PM before the weather gets crappy.

Innes
2021-05-28, 05:35 AM
Question are they Growlers or Superhornets and how do you tell looking at the planes.
I was there yesterday they gave a great little show at the airport.

Chris S
2021-05-28, 07:35 AM
Question are they Growlers or Superhornets and how do you tell looking at the planes.
I was there yesterday they gave a great little show at the airport.

The ones at FRG right now are Growlers, and they are actually a specialized electronic warfare version of the 2 seat Super Hornet.
One way you can tell them apart is that the Growler has large Wing tip pods that house electronic jamming receivers.

mazgirl10
2021-05-28, 09:35 AM
Hello, do you know if the Growlers will be taking off today (Friday) at all and if so what time?

mazgirl10
2021-05-28, 09:47 AM
Yeah, the Growlers did a nice lil show for us at FRG this evening. BTW, I got to talk to "Chunk", the Growler pilot who gave me the info about their arrival time,
and he told me the Growlers will departing FRG on Tues. morning around 11AM for those interested in seeing that too. Good hear the T-Birds will be flying
at the beach tomorrow morning right away at 10AM and hopefully they'll be able to fly again at 2PM before the weather gets crappy.

Hello, do you know if the Growlers will be taking off today (Friday) at all and if so what time?

fieldywanb
2021-05-28, 10:51 AM
Great performance this morning with the thunderbirds circles.

imyrless
2021-05-28, 11:21 AM
Great performance this morning with the thunderbirds circles.

Good morning, did the Thunderbirds put on a full show this morning? Or was it more of a testing out the space? Thanks for the feedback.

Also, do we know for sure if they’re coming back at 2 PM?

-Dave-

fieldywanb
2021-05-28, 11:39 AM
Good morning, did the Thunderbirds put on a full show this morning? Or was it more of a testing out the space? Thanks for the feedback.

Also, do we know for sure if they’re coming back at 2 PM?

-Dave-

The 2 solos came and did their site familiarization, the the 4 came. Did a few tricks as well as circles. They stated on the narration that they will be back at 2

imyrless
2021-05-28, 11:43 AM
The 2 solos came and did their site familiarization, the the 4 came. Did a few tricks as well as circles. They stated on the narration that they will be back at 2

Excellent, thanks for the info.

Billbo1970
2021-05-28, 12:35 PM
I couldn't get tickets this year.... This makes 2 years of no show for me, for a show I've attended every single year since inception :(

fieldywanb
2021-05-28, 01:42 PM
I couldn't get tickets this year.... This makes 2 years of no show for me, for a show I've attended every single year since inception :(

There are options to take the bus down here if the weather clears out for either day for the weekend. If not go hang out by either airport.

Billbo1970
2021-05-28, 03:03 PM
Is there no B-17 at the AAM this year? I drove by earlier and did not see one.

WW2 Warbirds
2021-05-28, 05:09 PM
Is there no B-17 at the AAM this year? I drove by earlier and did not see one.

Unfortunately, the Yankee Lady is not here this year. Last time I checked it was scheduled to be somewhere else. This was somewhat of a disappointing year. I am hoping for better next year. John Klatt retired, Sean Tucker isn't flying right now due to financial issues. I just hope that they can revive things by next year. I too am missing a show last year and this year. Although, I was lucky enough to see the Thunderbirds and the Red Arrows at Atlantic City in 2019.

Chris S
2021-05-28, 06:17 PM

The Growlers aren't flying in the Air Show and are only on static display at the American Airpower Museum this weekend.
They will be taking off on Tues. morning around 11AM to fly back to NAS Whidbey Island in WA.

Chris S
2021-05-28, 06:23 PM
BTW - I was impressed with the Thunderbirds new show routine for this year.
More sneak passes and afterburners over the crowd had my ears ringing a couple of times today !! Ha!!

aerialalan
2021-05-28, 08:44 PM
The Seaford FD just changed the time for them to leave the firehouse for the airshow standby from 7:30 to 9:45. I thinking a change in start time for the airshow might be announced. Keep your ears open.

RCFLYER86
2021-05-28, 10:48 PM
Show at the beach was good today, few gaps in the schedule as expected with a reduced lineup but it was cool seeing the T-Birds twice. In total there were 9 high speed flybys! Was kind of disappointed that the A-10 demo used the spare jet instead of the new camo one and didnt perform a Heritage Flight as was supposed to happen, but was still nice seeing an A-10 here after almost 10 years. Also glad the warbirds came out today as I thought they only flew Sat-Sun.

Chris S
2021-05-29, 07:27 AM
FYI - the A-10 Demo team has their merchandise tent set up on the boardwalk on the south side of the Boardwalk Cafe
for anyone interested in picking up a shirt, hat, coins or patches from them. I also heard the A-10s be departing FRG
to go back home on Tues. morning but they didn't have an exact time yet.
I talked to Thunderbird #7 down at the beach also and he said they have an extended stay on Long Island this week
and won't be departing ISP to go to their next show site in TN until Thursday morning at around 11AM.

Chris S
2021-05-29, 07:36 AM
Just saw on WABC Eyewitness News that the Jones Beach Air show has been canceled for Saturday.

aerialalan
2021-05-29, 07:57 AM
Bethpage also just sent a notification on the App. Hopefully the weather Will improve tomorrow

Fighting Falcon
2021-05-29, 08:04 AM
Heard it on News 12 - sad that the weather didn't cooperate today. Let's hope for some better news tomorrow.

mazgirl10
2021-05-29, 09:26 AM
The Growlers aren't flying in the Air Show and are only on static display at the American Airpower Museum this weekend.
They will be taking off on Tues. morning around 11AM to fly back to NAS Whidbey Island in WA.

Thank you so much!! What’s the best location to watch the take off? I usually park at the end of runway on New Highway. Excited to see them takeoff!!

Chris S
2021-05-29, 10:34 AM
Thank you so much!! What’s the best location to watch the take off? I usually park at the end of runway on New Highway. Excited to see them takeoff!!

Depends on the winds and what the active runway is on Tues. but the Growlers should be using RWY 14/32.
When the Growlers landed the other night they used RWY 32 with the winds coming from the northwest.

Chris S
2021-05-29, 10:36 AM
For anyone interested in seeing a webcast of yesterday's practice show at Jones Beach here's the live Youtube link for LiveAirshowTV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xZhZr1nHxI

fieldywanb
2021-05-29, 12:44 PM
BTW - I was impressed with the Thunderbirds new show routine for this year.
More sneak passes and afterburners over the crowd had my ears ringing a couple of times today !! Ha!!

You aren't kidding. Whoever came up with the new show really did their job. It was very "interactive" if you know what I mean.

Chris S
2021-05-29, 02:09 PM
You aren't kidding. Whoever came up with the new show really did their job. It was very "interactive" if you know what I mean.

The Thunderbirds actually worked with former Disney employees and the Blue Angels to come up with their new show routine.
You can read more about here:
Ex-Disney Employees Helped The Thunderbirds Create Their New Shortened Air Show Routine (thedrive.com) (https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/40169/thunderbirds-brought-in-disney-to-help-create-new-shortened-air-show-routine?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=EBB%2004.14.21&utm_term=Editorial%20-%20Early%20Bird%20Brief)

Innes
2021-05-29, 05:48 PM
I don’t see the A10s did they leave anticipating tomorrow will be canceled too. I see the golden knights plane but can’t see the A10s

Chris S
2021-05-29, 09:21 PM
I don’t see the A10s did they leave anticipating tomorrow will be canceled too. I see the golden knights plane but can’t see the A10s
There's a good chance they just put the A-10s inside one of Sheltair's new hangars close to where they were parked with all the bad weather today.

aerialalan
2021-05-30, 08:48 AM
It’s a Wrap for the Jones Beach airshow for 2021. According to Bethpage’s Airshow App. Sunday’s show is canceled due to weather. Hopefully THE AMA at FRG can get some airplanes in the air on Monday.

Fighting Falcon
2021-05-30, 10:09 AM
It's unfortunate that the air show was cancelled again this morning. Looking forward to next year.

Chris S
2021-05-30, 10:17 AM
Breaking News .... Bethpage Air Show a go for 1st time on Memorial Day after weekend cancellations

https://abc7ny.com/community-events/bethpage-air-show-canceled-due-to-inclement-weather/10717169/

Fighting Falcon
2021-05-30, 10:33 AM
Breaking News .... Bethpage Air Show a go for 1st time on Memorial Day after weekend cancellations

https://abc7ny.com/community-events/bethpage-air-show-canceled-due-to-inclement-weather/10717169/

I was just about to post this - you're so quick! Fantastic news!

RepublicAviation
2021-05-30, 10:41 AM
Excellent news for those who couldn't make it down there Sat & Sun. Friday was great!

atenzany62
2021-05-30, 03:16 PM
Is it possible to do planespotting to view the f16's at islip? Where are they parked? I know the ramps at heritage, and helicopter training, near hawthorne fbo have parking lots. Maybe in the lot behind the fence? If not then I'll just get to the strip mall off of runway 14 at Farmingdale.

Fighting Falcon
2021-05-31, 08:45 AM
Update: The air show is now open to all, regardless of whether or not you reserved a parking pass already. Just $10 as usual.

RCFLYER86
2021-05-31, 11:39 PM
Went to the museum today, arrived after the flights for the airshow and they didn't have any flying after unfortunately. The Growlers were cool and the pilot gave a nice walk around of it.

mazgirl10
2021-06-01, 08:17 AM
Depends on the winds and what the active runway is on Tues. but the Growlers should be using RWY 14/32.
When the Growlers landed the other night they used RWY 32 with the winds coming from the northwest.

Great, thank you so much for this information! They flew right over my house on Thursday night and I thought they were F-18’s so excited to (hopefully) see them take off!

RepublicAviation
2021-06-01, 12:24 PM
Presuming the Growlers have departed a few minutes ago - It sounded like they stayed low up until they reached the bay and then went vertical because I heard them for a good few minutes after they flew over (very loud).

bgny61
2021-06-01, 03:43 PM
Does Anyone know when the ThunderBirds are leaving Islip?

Chris S
2021-06-01, 08:24 PM
Does Anyone know when the ThunderBirds are leaving Islip?

Thunderbird #7 said they were departing around 11AM on Thursday and heading to their next show site in TN.
Their C-17 support aircraft will probably be departing about an hour after they depart also.

Chris S
2021-06-01, 08:32 PM
Presuming the Growlers have departed a few minutes ago - It sounded like they stayed low up until they reached the bay and then went vertical because I heard them for a good few minutes after they flew over (very loud).

The A-10s departed around 10:15 and the Growlers departed around 12:15 and they all used RWY 14, and yes, the Growlers were very LOUD !:biggrin:

bgny61
2021-06-01, 09:33 PM
Thunderbird #7 said they were departing around 11AM on Thursday and heading to their next show site in TN.
Their C-17 support aircraft will probably be departing about an hour after they depart also.

Thanks for the info. I'll be looking out for them.

Chris S
2021-06-03, 11:20 AM
FYI - According to the departures list on Flight Radar 24, the Thunderbirds "THBRD01"are now scheduled for a 1:00 departure from ISP
and their C-17 support aircraft, call sign "THBRD14", is scheduled to depart around 2:20 today.
Here's the link:
Flightradar24: Live Flight Tracker - Real-Time Flight Tracker Map (https://www.flightradar24.com/airport/isp/departures)

Bluesubaru
2021-06-03, 02:25 PM
Didn't hear the F16s take off at 1:22. Departure board now shows a 5:20 time.

Chris S
2021-06-03, 02:40 PM
Didn't hear the F16s take off at 1:22. Departure board now shows a 5:20 time.

Yeah, I saw that new departure time on FR24 posted for the Thunderbirds and also heard one of the
ISP controllers mention he heard they were delayed also while I was listening to LiveATC before.

According to Flightaware it looks like their C-17 support aircraft arrived at ISP last night around 6:00
THBRD14 Flight Tracking and History 02-Jun-2021 (KSUU-KISP) - FlightAware (https://flightaware.com/live/flight/THBRD14/history/20210602/1635Z/KSUU/KISP)

bgny61
2021-06-03, 03:24 PM
Yeah, I saw that new departure time on FR24 posted for the Thunderbirds and also heard one of the
ISP controllers mention he heard they were delayed also while I was listening to LiveATC before.

According to Flightaware it looks like their C-17 support aircraft arrived at ISP last night around 6:00
THBRD14 Flight Tracking and History 02-Jun-2021 (KSUU-KISP) - FlightAware (https://flightaware.com/live/flight/THBRD14/history/20210602/1635Z/KSUU/KISP)

I work not too far from the airport. The C-17 was still on the ramp 30 mins ago, TBIRDS still parked as well. May get to see all of them take off after work anyway :)

Chris S
2021-06-03, 06:14 PM
Wow, FR24 is now posting that the Thunderbirds won't be departing ISP until Friday morning at 9:45AM !!
Flightradar24: Live Flight Tracker - Real-Time Flight Tracker Map (https://www.flightradar24.com/airport/isp/departures)

Bluesubaru
2021-06-04, 08:42 AM
T-birds still at the airport this morning behind the North American building. When I passed last night, looked like there might have been some PR activities going on.

dekdawg21
2021-06-04, 09:37 AM
They are getting ready to go

Bluesubaru
2021-06-04, 10:07 AM
... and they are gone. Took off to the south-west

bgny61
2021-06-04, 10:16 AM
Saw and heard them as well.. :) C-17 Still here and one or two of the other F-16s as well

dekdawg21
2021-06-04, 10:31 AM
Only 6 left, 2 more had canopies up

Chris S
2021-06-04, 10:56 AM
According to FR24, it looks like the other 2 F-16s "THBRD02" are scheduled to depart around 11:45.

dekdawg21
2021-06-04, 11:30 AM
According to FR24, it looks like the other 2 F-16s "THBRD02" are scheduled to depart around 11:45.

Must have went a little early, just heard them.

Any word on the C-17?

Chunk
2021-06-11, 11:10 AM
Did anybody here get any shots or videos of the Growlers arriving or departing Republic?

Joe
2021-06-23, 08:23 PM
Did anybody here get any shots or videos of the Growlers arriving or departing Republic?

https://scontent-lga3-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.6435-9/193582974_4359088867455114_3785182143451053302_n.j pg?_nc_cat=109&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=VKNFN8gKmrEAX8EDQk1&tn=gwd031XZCsT-sF-s&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-2.xx&oh=b54d1ad4201ebc1fc7ff49263ef174ff&oe=60D87C79

https://scontent-lga3-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.6435-9/194757104_4359088950788439_5415228177891913904_n.j pg?_nc_cat=111&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=8xzyFgORgzQAX8FkMdO&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-2.xx&oh=5c08b72d6ca02c2217b09dfd30f079f3&oe=60D8A6E3
(https://scontent-lga3-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.6435-9/194757104_4359088950788439_5415228177891913904_n.j pg?_nc_cat=111&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=8xzyFgORgzQAX8FkMdO&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-2.xx&oh=5c08b72d6ca02c2217b09dfd30f079f3&oe=60D8A6E3)