http://bethpageairshow.com/

Saturday May 27th and Sunday May 28th from 12 P.M. – 5 P.M

USAF Thunderbirds

Geico Skytypers

Sean Tucker & Team Oracle

US Army Golden Knights

dekdawg21
2017-01-26, 01:24 PM
Fingers crossed for an A-10 Heritage Flight!

fk6065
2017-01-26, 11:47 PM
Heard a rumor Thunderbird 8 was at KFRG yesterday

Gerard
2017-01-28, 09:08 PM
Heard a rumor Thunderbird 8 was at KFRG yesterday

Now THAT is a helluva rumor because if its true that means we get the TBirds at FRG
Right?
Anyone hear or see? :cool:

dekdawg21
2017-01-30, 11:01 AM
That would be awesome if they are going to be based out of Republic! Looked on Twitter and Facebook but just found that #8 was conducting site visits, no specific locations.

fk6065
2017-01-30, 04:40 PM
I wouldn't hold out hope that the Thunderbirds will use Republic. I would bet on McArthur and then JFK. The runways at Republic are to short for the Thunderbirds to use.

If # 8 did indeed come in, and I can't confirm the rumor then it was just a one time thing for the site visit.

Gerard
2017-01-31, 02:29 PM
I wouldn't hold out hope that the Thunderbirds will use Republic. I would bet on McArthur and then JFK. The runways at Republic are to short for the Thunderbirds to use.
If # 8 did indeed come in, and I can't confirm the rumor then it was just a one time thing for the site visit.

It would be nice!! It was 2009 when they last used FRG.
Last years show with the Angels, Snowbirds and the Breitling Team all staged at FRG will be hard to surpass!!

Gerard
2017-01-31, 08:45 PM
FYI the Thunderbirds will be doing the FlyOver for the Super Bowl this Sunday!! Hopefully clear skies and multiple camera angles lol

dekdawg21
2017-02-01, 03:05 PM
It would be nice!! It was 2009 when they last used FRG.
Last years show with the Angels, Snowbirds and the Breitling Team all staged at FRG will be hard ro surpass!!

Agreed, last year was awesome!

dekdawg21
2017-02-01, 03:08 PM
Also just saw added performers on the shows website:

10th Rescue Wing
AAM warbirds
David Windmill er
Matt Chapman
John Katt and Screamin Sasquatch

ch2tdriver
2017-02-07, 05:42 PM
Hhmmm... I know this is our hometown airshow and I'll support it but, they really need to start and mix it up a little bit. They're basically re-running the 2015 show sans the Breitling Team. (Or for that matter the 2014 and 2016 shows just swap out the Blue's). I wish they would take a page from the playbook of the Quonset airshow. It seems like every year they change up the civilian acts. And as far as the military demos go? We'll see....

C'mon this is New York! The show is attended by 400K people. Don't we rate a B-2, B-52 or B-1 flyby?!? It would also be nice if they put together something special like Grumman flight.

dekdawg21
2017-02-09, 12:50 AM
As for those flybys... Doubtful since we had FiFi in town a few years ago and couldn't get a flyby

moose135
2017-02-09, 02:19 AM
As for those flybys... Doubtful since we had FiFi in town a few years ago and couldn't get a flyby

Fifi's visit was sponsored by the American Airpower Museum, not the air show, so there was no obligation to visit the beach.

dekdawg21
2017-02-09, 03:14 PM
Fifi's visit was sponsored by the American Airpower Museum, not the air show, so there was no obligation to visit the beach.

I remember that, was just saying it was in the area and the airshow was unable to get it or had no interest in having it participate.

Gerard
2017-02-10, 02:16 PM
Hhmmm... I know this is our hometown airshow and I'll support it but, they really need to start and mix it up a little bit. They're basically re-running the 2015 show sans the Breitling Team. (Or for that matter the 2014 and 2016 shows just swap out the Blue's). I wish they would take a page from the playbook of the Quonset airshow. It seems like every year they change up the civilian acts. And as far as the military demos go? We'll see....
C'mon this is New York! The show is attended by 400K people. Don't we rate a B-2, B-52 or B-1 flyby?!? It would also be nice if they put together something special like Grumman flight.

Thats why I enjoy the Atlantic City show!! They mix it up with helo flybys and get some of the big metal out of McGuire!!

Chris S
2017-02-11, 05:08 PM
That would be awesome if they are going to be based out of Republic! Looked on Twitter and Facebook but just found that #8 was conducting site visits, no specific locations.

FYI - that question was asked on the show's FB page and unfortunately they
responded that the Thunderbirds would be back at MacArthur again in 2017.
I'm still hoping that the show gets either the Legacy or Super Hornet Demo also
and possibly the A-10 participating in a Heritage flight too this year cause they
would most likely be using FRG along with the rest of the show performers :cool:

BTW, looks like the show is going with a brand new show logo this year >>
http://bethpageairshow.com/wp-content/themes/twentytwelve_JB/images/top_logo.png

OB1500
2017-02-11, 05:36 PM
Looks like AAM will have a B-25, P-51, & SBD. I second the need for a change up.

The MN Wing will offer rides in its B-25 “Miss Mitchell” during the Dixie Wing tour with the P-51 Mustang ‘Red Nose” and the SBD-5 Dauntless. The units also are planning an air-to-air aviation photography workshop at Raleigh.

Preliminary dates:

April 22-23 in Peachtree City, GA then Savannah (04/29-30), Greenville, SC (05/7-8), Raleigh, NC (05/13-14), Virginia Beach, VA ( 05/18-21) Farmingdale, NY ( 05/25-28) then Reading, PA for the WWII Weekend. Stay tuned for the more details!

http://www.warbirdsnews.com/warbirds-news/warbird-collections/commemorative-air-force-news/minnesota-dixie-wings-collaborate-tour-southeast.html

dekdawg21
2017-02-12, 06:29 PM
FYI - that question was asked on the show's FB page and unfortunately they
responded that the Thunderbirds would be back at MacArthur again in 2017.
I'm still hoping that the show gets either the Legacy or Super Hornet Demo also
and possibly the A-10 participating in a Heritage flight too this year cause they
would most likely be using FRG along with the rest of the show performers :cool:

BTW, looks like the show is going with a brand new show logo this year >>
http://bethpageairshow.com/wp-content/themes/twentytwelve_JB/images/top_logo.png

Thanks Chris, didn't see that they answered that.

Hoping for the A-10 but the message I saw was that they wanted to use it for smaller shows that can't support the other aircraft. Guess we'll wait and see when the schedule comes out.
Saw that the Osprey and Harrier demo are elsewhere Memorial Day weekend.

Fighting_falcon_51
2017-02-18, 07:23 PM
It looks like they pushed back the time of the airshow, apparently it will run from 12-5pm this year.

http://bethpageairshow.com/about/

dekdawg21
2017-03-02, 07:30 PM
ACC just released schedules for the Raptor and Viper demos as well as A-10 and F-35 heritage flights and Jones Beach is not on any of them. Viper and heritage flights don't have anything schedule the weekend of the show, hoping at least one gets added!

Innes
2017-03-04, 06:34 AM
Hoping for good weather this year I feel the last few years 1 or 2 of the days have been a wash.

Gerard
2017-03-04, 08:04 PM
Hoping for good weather this year I feel the last few years 1 or 2 of the days have been a wash.

Last year was quite good except for the fog rolling in during the Blues performance!! Im a little biased as I saw a great practice show and hung out at Republic from the time they arrived on Thursday to Sunday night and got some great action at FRG especially when they were using Runway 14 for landings and they were roaring in low over Route 110.

ch2tdriver
2017-03-06, 12:34 PM
It looks like they pushed back the time of the airshow, apparently it will run from 12-5pm this year.

http://bethpageairshow.com/about/

Ugh! Again? Is this due to JFK ATC requirements? We hate it when they do this. Would much rather get up bright and early and hit the beach at 8AM, show underway at 10 and over by 2:45. Hang out an hour and drive pretty much right out. With a 5pm end time this totally overlaps the time to be at an afternoon BBQ somewhere else. This might be the first year we skip the beach and just head to the AAM as the show is a repeat of the last two years and nothing I haven't seen before. And it sounds like there'll be some warbirds at the AAM I've never seen before. Much more excited about that.

dekdawg21
2017-03-06, 07:05 PM
Navy Tac Demo released their schedule and Jones Beach made it! Didn't say if it was Hornet or Super Hornet

Gerard
2017-03-07, 10:29 AM
Ugh! Again? Is this due to JFK ATC requirements? We hate it when they do this. Would much rather get up bright and early and hit the beach at 8AM, show underway at 10 and over by 2:45. Hang out an hour and drive pretty much right out. With a 5pm end time this totally overlaps the time to be at an afternoon BBQ somewhere else. This might be the first year we skip the beach and just head to the AAM as the show is a repeat of the last two years and nothing I haven't seen before. And it sounds like there'll be some warbirds at the AAM I've never seen before. Much more excited about that.

Weather permitting I always attend the practice show!! Its been a number of years since I actually went to the Sat/Sun show!!

dekdawg21
2017-03-07, 11:06 AM
Weather permitting I always attend the practice show!! Its been a number of years since I actually went to the Sat/Sun show!!

Agreed Friday is the best day to go. Less crowded. Only problem is it's not always a full show. Last year the Breitling Jet team didn't fly the practice.

dekdawg21
2017-03-07, 11:07 AM
At least with the later show if there's fog in the morning it has time to burn off...

fk6065
2017-03-07, 02:26 PM
https://www.facebook.com/BethpageAirShow/posts/1572547786112090

Apparently the Hornet Demo that was announced is not going to happen a/t/t

Gerard
2017-03-07, 08:31 PM
At least with the later show if there's fog in the morning it has time to burn off...

Yeah but last year the Sunday show was cut short as a fog bank rolled in.

dekdawg21
2017-03-07, 09:04 PM
Yeah but last year the Sunday show was cut short as a fog bank rolled in.

Sorry Gerard, tried to find a positive in the later time slot!

dekdawg21
2017-03-07, 09:06 PM
https://www.facebook.com/BethpageAirShow/posts/1572547786112090

Apparently the Hornet Demo that was announced is not going to happen a/t/t

Sent a message to Navy Tac Demo's page, they replied "interesting, we'll look into it and post if needed"

Innes
2017-03-12, 04:29 AM
Last year was quite good except for the fog rolling in during the Blues performance!! Im a little biased as I saw a great practice show and hung out at Republic from the time they arrived on Thursday to Sunday night and got some great action at FRG especially when they were using Runway 14 for landings and they were roaring in low over Route 110.

Yes that fog started earlier then the blues not as bad but then rolled in hard for the blues. I always pic bad day to go.

Gerard
2017-03-20, 11:13 AM
Sent a message to Navy Tac Demo's page, they replied "interesting, we'll look into it and post if needed"

Are we getting the Tac Demo?

dekdawg21
2017-03-20, 11:49 AM
Are we getting the Tac Demo?

They left it vague when asked if it was a misunderstanding saying "they will post something if needed- stay tuned!"

As of right now it's still listed on their Facebook page in their events section. Hope they're a go because with it being about 2 months out the lineup is looking a little empty for the show.

Chris S
2017-03-23, 05:47 PM
FYI - The show just posted this unfortunate news about the F-18 Demo status on their FB page:

"Due to runway construction at JFK, our air space has been restricted for this year's show.
While we would love to have them, we are unfortunately unable to accommodate the requirements
of the F-18 Demonstration Team this year. We look forward to hosting them in the future,
and can’t wait for another great show. See you at the beach!"

gettysburgerrn
2017-03-24, 05:20 AM
Wow ...looking like quite the light schedule indeed.......am I reading correctly that the only jet noise will be the Thunderbirds? bummer....

ken

Gerard
2017-03-24, 08:30 AM
Wow ...looking like quite the light schedule indeed.......am I reading correctly that the only jet noise will be the Thunderbirds? bummer....
ken

Yeah it will be Air Show Lite. Too bad!! Spoiled from last years spectacular show!!

ch2tdriver
2017-03-24, 11:38 AM
Meanwhile, after 17 years the Wikes Barre/Scranton Airshow is back this year for August 12 and 13! And to boot they already have the F-22 and F-18 demos locked up! Can't wait to see what else they have lined up.

https://nepairshow.com/

This was my GOTO airshow back in the 80s and 90's. Bethpage needs to change things up.

Gerard
2017-03-24, 04:03 PM
Bethpage needs to change things up.

Well to be honest last year with all the demo teams and the Heritage Flight with the F-22 the show was quite good but, and no disrespect to the aerobatic guys, it can get tedious sitting on the beach without some well placed THUNDER!! And it doesnt help this year that the show is at the mercy of JFK operations!! Hey maybe those inbounds can drop down low and give us some nice flybys :biggrin::tongue:

dekdawg21
2017-03-24, 09:31 PM
Guess the guy running demo team's schedule was last to find out!

It is a shame. Spoiled with the Snowbirds and Breitling teams last two years. But it's a shame there's no other demos. I wish the Redbull chopper was still around, never got to see that. Would be nice to see the leap frogs or something different. I remember the Misty Blues backed out a few years ago.

Nick
2017-04-18, 07:15 PM
Hopefully we at the 106th RQW can give you a proper SAR demo.

Billbo1970
2017-04-19, 06:27 PM
Wow, I just finally went to the website to check out who will be performing this year... and then came straight here! What the heck, this is the weakest one yet, very disappointing. Got VERY spoiled that year they had the A-10, B-1B, F-22, F-18 etc etc. Must've been 5 or 6 years ago now? What a show that was!

gettysburgerrn
2017-05-05, 01:00 PM
Wow less than a month to go....very quiet board....

Ken

dekdawg21
2017-05-05, 02:57 PM

Ken

Yeah... and looking like a quiet show minus the Thunderbirds.

Billbo1970
2017-05-06, 12:14 PM

Yeah... and looking like a quiet show minus the Thunderbirds.Hence the quiet board? LOL I think if we're being honest... we're all a bit disappointed at this years turnout...

dekdawg21
2017-05-06, 02:23 PM
Yeah Bill, you're right!

Hate to say it but looks like I'm just doing Friday at the beach this year. Aside from the warbirds not much else going on at Republic sadly. Will be cool to see the Dauntless.

Shame I can't make the show at Stewart in July, that looks to be an awesome lineup!

Gerard
2017-05-07, 12:54 PM
Hate to say it but looks like I'm just doing Friday at the beach this year. Aside from the warbirds not much else going on at Republic sadly. Will be cool to see the Dauntless

I agree!! Not sure how they are going to fill up 4 hours or so, Lots a dead air, so to speak.

fk6065
2017-05-15, 10:19 AM
Updated performer list;

United States Air Force Thunderbirds
Golden Knights
106th Air National Guard Rescue Wing
American Airpower Museum Warbirds
Bayport Aerodrome Society
David Windmiller
GEICO Skytypers
John Klatt Airshows/Jack Links’ Screamin Sasquatch
Matt Chapman
Sean Tucker
SUNY Farmingdale Aerospace
Warrior Flight Team

It is what it is .................... But it's still an airshow in our own backyard.

dekdawg21
2017-05-15, 12:01 PM
Updated performer list;

United States Air Force Thunderbirds
Golden Knights
106th Air National Guard Rescue Wing
American Airpower Museum Warbirds
Bayport Aerodrome Society
David Windmiller
GEICO Skytypers
John Klatt Airshows/Jack Links’ Screamin Sasquatch
Matt Chapman
Sean Tucker
SUNY Farmingdale Aerospace
Warrior Flight Team

It is what it is .................... But it's still an airshow in our own backyard.

Cool, got the Warrior Jet team! That'll add some noise and is something new!

And agreed that any show is a good show, was just concerned with the time in between

Innes
2017-05-20, 08:25 PM
Less then one week away. I wish the Thunderbirds were going be at republic the one year they did come into republic it was real nice. They let us walk up to the planes

gettysburgerrn
2017-05-21, 06:48 AM
I agree....When will the Thunderbirds fly into MacArthur? Do they have anything that is the equivalent of the Blue Angels Meet and Greets (don't know if that's a formal name lol, but when folks <especially the kids> get to meet the pilots) that they do after their demo?

Ken

dekdawg21
2017-05-21, 08:47 PM
I agree....When will the Thunderbirds fly into MacArthur? Do they have anything that is the equivalent of the Blue Angels Meet and Greets (don't know if that's a formal name lol, but when folks <especially the kids> get to meet the pilots) that they do after their demo?

Ken

Last time they were here TB 8 came in Wednesday and the rest Thursday if i remember correctly. And don't think they do any kind of meet and greet or even access to the team/jets at ISP

Innes
2017-05-22, 12:03 AM
That's why my 11y/o son is a blueangels fan first it's all about the pr. Maybe they read this lol

dekdawg21
2017-05-22, 12:12 PM
I think it might be because of the airport and not the teamn but not sure. Blues I find more interactive on social media.

gettysburgerrn
2017-05-22, 02:26 PM
My daughter loves the Blue Angels because of the interactions that she has had with its members, unfortunately she has never had the opportunity to meet any of the Thunderbirds, as said above I think that's more of a testament to the PR...I thought maybe the Thunderbirds would be a bit more accessable this time around as I think one of their members is from Long Island.....

Ken

rkfast
2017-05-22, 04:46 PM
It was to do with runway length. The USAF wont allow use of FRG because they feel 32/14 is "too short" at FRG for the T-Bird F-16s.

The F16C has a takeoff length of about 1,750 feet and landing distance of 2,650 with an external load. (http://www.aerospaceweb.org/aircraft/fighter/f16/).

32/14 at FRG is 6,833 feet. Longest at ISP? 7,000 feet.

So total difference between FRG and ISP? 200 feet. Hmmmmmm.

Now....200 feet is a lot of valuable space in an emergency, no doubt. But given both runways at FRG and ISP are well beyond whats needed for the F16C for takeoff and landing, the F16 has that big GE F100 engine, the arresting gear would be in place, and 32/14 at FRG has EMAS, the fact they wont use FRG seems weird to me.

What am I missing?

Chris S
2017-05-22, 09:36 PM
Looks like AAM will have a B-25, P-51, & SBD. I second the need for a change up.

The MN Wing will offer rides in its B-25 “Miss Mitchell” during the Dixie Wing tour with the P-51 Mustang ‘Red Nose” and the SBD-5 Dauntless. The units also are planning an air-to-air aviation photography workshop at Raleigh.

Preliminary dates:

April 22-23 in Peachtree City, GA then Savannah (04/29-30), Greenville, SC (05/7-8), Raleigh, NC (05/13-14), Virginia Beach, VA ( 05/18-21) Farmingdale, NY ( 05/25-28) then Reading, PA for the WWII Weekend. Stay tuned for the more details!

http://www.warbirdsnews.com/warbirds-news/warbird-collections/commemorative-air-force-news/minnesota-dixie-wings-collaborate-tour-southeast.html

Bummer to hear this unfortunate news on the AAM's FB page about CAF Dixie Wing's
P-51 Mustang & SBD Dauntless having to cancel their appearance at the AAM this weekend ...

UPDATE FOR THE Legends of Airpower Weekend 2017 (https://www.facebook.com/events/1433976363339935/?acontext=%7B%22source%22%3A3%2C%22source_newsfeed _story_type%22%3A%22regular%22%2C%22action_history %22%3A%22%5B%7B%5C%22surface%5C%22%3A%5C%22newsfee d%5C%22%2C%5C%22mechanism%5C%22%3A%5C%22feed_story %5C%22%2C%5C%22extra_data%5C%22%3A%5B%5D%7D%5D%22% 2C%22has_source%22%3Atrue%7D&source=3&source_newsfeed_story_type=regular&action_history=%5B%7B%22surface%22%3A%22newsfeed%2 2%2C%22mechanism%22%3A%22feed_story%22%2C%22extra_ data%22%3A%5B%5D%7D%5D&has_source=1&fref=mentions) -
UNFORTUNATELY THE COMMEMORATIVE AIR FORCE DIXIE WING HAS NOTIFIED US THAT
THEY HAVE TO CANCEL THEIR APPEARANCE AND RIDE TOUR AT OUR EVENT WITH THEIR
P-51 Mustang (https://www.facebook.com/p51mustang/?fref=mentions) and Dixie Wing SBD Dauntless (https://www.facebook.com/dixiewingsbd.dauntless/?fref=mentions) DUE TO WEATHER AND LOGISTICAL ISSUES.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=10155210983143400&id=123023458399

RepublicAviation
2017-05-23, 01:04 PM
It was to do with runway length. The USAF wont allow use of FRG because they feel 32/14 is "too short" at FRG for the T-Bird F-16s.

The F16C has a takeoff length of about 1,750 feet and landing distance of 2,650 with an external load. (http://www.aerospaceweb.org/aircraft/fighter/f16/).

32/14 at FRG is 6,833 feet. Longest at ISP? 7,000 feet.

So total difference between FRG and ISP? 200 feet. Hmmmmmm.

Now....200 feet is a lot of valuable space in an emergency, no doubt. But given both runways at FRG and ISP are well beyond whats needed for the F16C for takeoff and landing, the F16 has that big GE F100 engine, the arresting gear would be in place, and 32/14 at FRG has EMAS, the fact they wont use FRG seems weird to me.

What am I missing?

You made some good points and it definitely has been disappointing that they haven't used FRG since what feels like ages ago. Maybe they don't like that the jets are kept so close to the fence at FRG? ISP definitely offers more seclusion and security if you will. Besides the 200 extra feet at ISP, can't think of any other possible reasoning behind it. Makes you wonder for sure.

fk6065
2017-05-23, 01:23 PM
Sean Tucker & Team Oracle are at Republic. They were doing a photo mission over NYC this morning.

fk6065
2017-05-23, 01:25 PM
This is coming from a Blue Angel fan but ..... The last time the Thunderbirds staged at Republic the team members were wonderful! They interacted with the crowds at the fence and were very friendly, true ambassadors of the Air Force and the military just the way the Blue Angels are.

Innes
2017-05-23, 06:45 PM
Yes just got back from the airport with the kids orical and jack links are there think I saw the national guard plane too on the 109 side sticking out of a hanger.

Innes
2017-05-23, 06:53 PM
Talking to a airport employee he was telling me the reason the thunderbirds won't come into republic is runway length not fod always thought it was fod. The runway is just short of 7000 so the thunderbird xo won't allow them to land there.

Chris S
2017-05-23, 08:48 PM
Yeah, it's unfortunate the T-Birds won't be using Republic Airport, cause they first used it way back in 1983 for the Coney Island Show when they started flying the F-16, and the last time they used it was back in 2009 for Jones Beach with the temporary arresting cable installed also. So it CAN be used, even if they need a waiver! The T-Birds are missing out on a great USAF recruiting opportunity by not using the much more fan friendlier Republic Airport, especially when the Blue Angels ALWAYS use Republic Airport and have great interaction with all the fans there!

moose135
2017-05-23, 10:19 PM
Talking to a airport employee he was telling me the reason the thunderbirds won't come into republic is runway length not fod always thought it was fod. The runway is just short of 7000 so the thunderbird xo won't allow them to land there.

The runway length is an issue, but the last time the Snowbirds were here, they did have a problem with FOD.

Yeah, it's unfortunate the T-Birds won't be using Republic Airport, cause they first used it way back in 1983 for the Coney Island Show when they started flying the F-16, and the last time they used it was back in 2009 for Jones Beach with the temporary arresting cable installed also. So it CAN be used, even if they need a waiver!

Yes, they can get a waiver to use a shorter runway, but if there's a problem, would you want your signature on the "approval" line of the waiver form?

Chris S
2017-05-23, 11:36 PM
The runway length is an issue, but the last time the Snowbirds were here, they did have a problem with FOD.

Yes, they can get a waiver to use a shorter runway, but if there's a problem, would you want your signature on the "approval" line of the waiver form?

That's my point, WHY has the runway length at Republic always been OK for the Blue Angels to use, but now it's NOT OK for the Thunderbirds ???

gettysburgerrn
2017-05-24, 06:04 AM
What do the Thunderbirds use for a support aircraft? Can that aircraft land at Republic? Is that maybe the reason for using MacArthur <which is such a God-awful bummer>

Ken

Mateo
2017-05-24, 09:17 AM
What do the Thunderbirds use for a support aircraft? Can that aircraft land at Republic? Is that maybe the reason for using MacArthur <which is such a God-awful bummer>
They use a C-17 (not dedicated; from whichever base has one available at the time). The C-17 can pretty much land on your street, pull into your driveway, then back up and take off again.

In all seriousness, if the CO says 7,000', then it's 7,000', so tough luck for Farmingdale. Islip also has a DoD facility on the premises, so that might sway the decision against any waiver, as well.

Chris S
2017-05-24, 10:24 AM
Yes, the T-Birds usually use a C-17 for their support aircraft, but they also can use 2 C-130s too, like they did this past weekend in OK.

fieldywanb
2017-05-24, 10:35 AM
Hey everyone, every year I watch these forums in hopes to see arrival times and practice times. So far we are 2 days out from practice and 3 days from first show and I haven't seen much. Does anyone know when the first thunderbird will be coming to ISP and if there is any spot where we can watch it approach without causing alarm to the airport or suffolk PD?

DAL777LR
2017-05-24, 10:40 AM
Yes, the T-Birds usually use a C-17 for their support aircraft, but they also can use 2 C-130s too, like they did this past weekend in OK.
The last time they were at FRG they used a C-17 it backed down the runway. Does anyone know where they will park at ISP

Chris S
2017-05-24, 11:24 AM
Hey everyone, every year I watch these forums in hopes to see arrival times and practice times. So far we are 2 days out from practice and 3 days from first show and I haven't seen much. Does anyone know when the first thunderbird will be coming to ISP and if there is any spot where we can watch it approach without causing alarm to the airport or suffolk PD?

Well, the T-Birds are doing their flyover for the USAFA Graduation today,
so I'm not sure if T-Bird #7 will be arriving at ISP later on today, or tomorrow?
Here's the FAA's TFR for the Jones Beach show starting tomorrow between 4PM - 5PM.

Effective Date(s):

From May 25, 2017 at 2000 UTC

To May 25, 2017 at 2100 UTC

From May 26, 2017 at 1400 UTC

To May 26, 2017 at 2100 UTC

From May 27, 2017 at 1400 UTC

To May 27, 2017 at 2100 UTC

From May 28, 2017 at 1600 UTC

To May 28, 2017 at 2100 UTC

Here's the link:
http://tfr.faa.gov/save_pages/detail_7_0271.html

fieldywanb
2017-05-24, 11:31 AM
Thanks for the info. Although I would usually spend my pre-show Wednesday and Thursday at republic I'm not sure if that makes any sense this year as there won't be too much noise there. I guess I will try to be at the beach tomorrow at 4, but I know the forecast for tomorrow isn't great. I know in years passed if the weather wasn't great on thursday for the main act to go and get their show center aligned, they would go on Friday mornings before the other acts to work it out. Tomorrow afternoons weather calls for off and on showers. Hope we get a little dry weather in for them to come down and fly a little bit.

ch2tdriver
2017-05-24, 11:43 AM
Well just when we thought this airshow/FRG observers weekend couldn't get any less quiet....The AAM on their FB page says the CAF's Dixie Wing P-51 and SBD will NOT be coming. They say enroute weather is the issue. Also for anyone that booked a ride refunds are available. The B-17 is still attending.

gettysburgerrn
2017-05-24, 04:40 PM
Does anyone know what time the Thunderbirds will be landing at Macarthur tomorrow?

Ken

fieldywanb
2017-05-24, 08:01 PM
I live very close to republic, and although my ears hear a lot of noise during airshow week, I heard a louder than average jet about an hour ago, anyone know what it was?

fk6065
2017-05-24, 09:19 PM
For those of you interested in viewing The Thunderbirds;

Long Island MacArthur Airport (ISP) has been selected as the staging site for the United States Air Force Thunderbirds for the Bethpage Federal Credit Union Air... Show at Jones Beach Memorial Day weekend. We are offering a public viewing Friday, May 26, 2017 from 2pm-6pm.
Anyone interested in attending is asked to park in the Economy Lot at the Airport’s Main Terminal standard parking fees apply, where a shuttle bus will be waiting to transport guests to the viewing area. There is no parking available at the viewing area. If needed, the shuttle buses are handicapped accessible. Unfortunately, due to FAA regulations that govern commercial airports, no guests will be permitted outside of the viewing area or onto the active ramp

fk6065
2017-05-24, 09:20 PM
Thunderbird 8 arrived at ISP today.

dekdawg21
2017-05-24, 10:41 PM
Thunderbird 8 arrived at ISP today.

Thanks for the info!

gettysburgerrn
2017-05-25, 06:10 AM
Anyone know if and when the Thunderbirds will be flying around the beach today? Weather permitting of course...

Ken

Gerard
2017-05-25, 08:46 AM
Does anyone know when the first thunderbird will be coming to ISP and if there is any spot where we can watch it approach without causing alarm to the airport or suffolk PD?

So two years ago I drove over to MacArthur and knowing how much a pain in the butt authorities are there I decided I would try to find a spot under the arrival path once I found out what Runway they were using!! Not sure the Runway # but they were coming in from the East and I found a nice location
on Railroad Avenue, settled in and got pretty good, though quick because of the trees, views of the Tbirds coming in. Also the C-17.That was around 4PM. Later I drove over to the area where they were parking off of Smithtown Avenue and along with a bunch of other people got to see them lined up and saw the C-17 depart. Surprisingly no one bothered us,

Gerard
2017-05-25, 08:49 AM
Anyone know if and when the Thunderbirds will be flying around the beach today? Weather permitting of course...

Two years ago they didn't come in until late in the afternoon on Thursday around 4PM. And from what my weather sources tell me including the very reliable "Angry Bens Angry Weather" on Facebook,(shameless plug for a friend lol) it should be much better by Friday afternoon.

dekdawg21
2017-05-25, 08:54 AM
Thunderbird 8 is behind Liberty Jet on Smithtown Ave. Can just see the tail when driving by

Gerard
2017-05-25, 09:03 AM
Thunderbird 8 is behind Liberty Jet on Smithtown Ave. Can just see the tail when driving by

Yes thats where everyone was parking last year, in the lot just east of the Liberty Jet facility.

fk6065
2017-05-25, 09:41 AM

Ken

Thunderbirds are expected between 1:00pm & 3:00pm at ISP. I guess the weather will factor in on their arrival time as this front slowly moved through.

They then hen have the airspace at the beach reserved from 4:00-5:00pm probably to run through circles and landmarks.

Again in all this is weather permitting

fieldywanb
2017-05-25, 01:38 PM
Anyone else out by the airport?

Mathgod55
2017-05-25, 01:54 PM
Anything going on down at the beach?

fk6065
2017-05-25, 02:00 PM
Golden Knights arrived at Republic earlier today.

Ronnie
2017-05-25, 03:11 PM
Via a Thunderbirds crew IG photo. They left Colorado Springs 27 minutes ago.

Not sure how long the flight is from CO though

Chris S
2017-05-25, 03:36 PM
Yeah, I see T-Birds #14 & #15, 2 C-130Js, are enroute to ISP from CO also.

Boxman
2017-05-25, 03:46 PM
Via a Thunderbirds crew IG photo. They left Colorado Springs 27 minutes ago.

Not sure how long the flight is from CO though
~1,800 miles between Colorado Springs and Islip. That's, what, somewhere in the neighborhood of 3+ hours flight time, I would guess.

Gerard
2017-05-25, 05:03 PM
Anything going on down at the beach?

Nothing going to happen today!! Visibilty and ceiling are just well below minimums!! Right now I'm watching a live feed from ABC7NY who are out in Islip and no arrival yet at 5PM. Im wondering that along with the Practice Show will they go up in the morning to do their familiarization flight. Once again weather permitting!! Saturday looking the better of the 3 days for flying but low temps and clouds will definitely keep the beach crowd down, IMO,

Gerard
2017-05-25, 05:07 PM
Golden Knights arrived at Republic earlier today.

Yes and saw one of the State PD Hueys parked over at Atlantic. Usually they have two copters for SAR/Medevac for the show.
Anyone know when the Warrior Team coming in? This weather is really screwing up arrivals.

dekdawg21
2017-05-25, 05:34 PM
Something just buzzed my house but ceiling too low to see. I'm just north of the airport

Fighting Falcon
2017-05-25, 10:10 PM
I know the practicing has been limited due to the weather, so do we know how this will affect tomorrow's practice? I know some were mentioning that the Thunderbirds might do the familiarization flight tomorrow morning. Do we know what time? And how about the others?

Gerard
2017-05-26, 09:36 AM
Weather looks to be improving as we go through the day so Practice Show looks good.

fieldywanb
2017-05-26, 09:53 AM
Just got to the beach, weather is improving, blue skies and low clouds appear to be moving out...hope to see the thunderbirds twice today.

Boxman
2017-05-26, 10:25 AM
Yep, there's been a nice clearing over the beach for a while now. Slightly surprised no one had come out to get while the weather is, if not quite great, adequate. Hopefully the clouds that surround the beach in a semi-circle now, don't eventually sock it in.

fieldywanb
2017-05-26, 10:39 AM
Blackhawk just did a low pass along the beach and I haven't seen a JFK arrival for about 10 minutes. Looks like we might be seeing something soon...and as soon as I post it a JFK arrival comes by

dekdawg21
2017-05-26, 10:55 AM
Thunderbird/birds just took off. Heard but couldn't see.

Gerard
2017-05-26, 11:02 AM
Heading out!! Doing a run by Republic to see if any warbird visitors showed up then out to the Beach.

Fighting Falcon
2017-05-26, 11:15 AM
Have a great view of the beach now. All is quiet right now, but I expect we will be seeing some action soon!

fieldywanb
2017-05-26, 11:22 AM
Press conference just wrapped up, was really hoping a thunderbird was going to interrupt it

dekdawg21
2017-05-26, 11:39 AM
Just passed the airport on my way to the beach,
Thunderbird are lined up on the ramp with canopies up.

Fighting Falcon
2017-05-26, 11:43 AM
dekdawg,

It looks like they will take off soon?

dekdawg21
2017-05-26, 12:13 PM
dekdawg,

It looks like they will take off soon?

Sorry was driving to the beach. Hard to say, canopies were up and cars were pulling in. No one was by the jets and couldn't tell if covers were on. Couldn't stop and look as there was a lot of security around.

dekdawg21
2017-05-26, 12:13 PM
Darn just missed the Farmingdale Flyers...

Fighting Falcon
2017-05-26, 12:17 PM
Ok, thanks for sharing!

Krash11554
2017-05-26, 12:44 PM
Does anyone know if the Thunderbirds are back from earlier this morning and when they are scheduled to go back up for the practice runs today?

fieldywanb
2017-05-26, 12:51 PM
Seems they are doing a full show today. Weather is cooperating for now which means the thunderbirds will be around 4

dekdawg21
2017-05-26, 05:11 PM
Good practice run, weather held. Skytypers were short one and Thunderbirds had to do their circle and arrivals before their practice. Solos returned to the airport early guessing due to fuel.

gpalz1
2017-05-26, 06:29 PM
For those of you interested in viewing The Thunderbirds;

Long Island MacArthur Airport (ISP) has been selected as the staging site for the United States Air Force Thunderbirds for the Bethpage Federal Credit Union Air... Show at Jones Beach Memorial Day weekend. We are offering a public viewing Friday, May 26, 2017 from 2pm-6pm.
Anyone interested in attending is asked to park in the Economy Lot at the Airport’s Main Terminal standard parking fees apply, where a shuttle bus will be waiting to transport guests to the viewing area. There is no parking available at the viewing area. If needed, the shuttle buses are handicapped accessible. Unfortunately, due to FAA regulations that govern commercial airports, no guests will be permitted outside of the viewing area or onto the active ramp

Thanks for sharing. Where was this posted? Thanks!

gpalz1
2017-05-26, 06:50 PM
Well just when we thought this airshow/FRG observers weekend couldn't get any less quiet....The AAM on their FB page says the CAF's Dixie Wing P-51 and SBD will NOT be coming. They say enroute weather is the issue. Also for anyone that booked a ride refunds are available. The B-17 is still attending.

First the T-birds at MacArthur and now this. Shame. Was looking forward to seeing those two. I'll probably skip it this year, since its starting to feel like I've seen it all before.

Chris S
2017-05-26, 09:12 PM

This info about today's public viewing of the T-Birds at ISP was also mentioned this morning on News 12.
I was just curious if anyone went to it and where exactly this viewing area was ??

Gerard
2017-05-26, 09:44 PM
Good practice run, weather held. Skytypers were short one and Thunderbirds had to do their circle and arrivals before their practice. Solos returned to the airport early guessing due to fuel.

Yes it seems like that was their first chance to familiarize themselves to the area but when they did their show it was pretty good. It was about 45 minutes in total and I was down by the shoreline and they got me twice with the sneak passes, one which literally scared the heck out of everyone!! Weather cleared up pretty good with the sun shining and temp around 70.

fk6065
2017-05-26, 09:47 PM

From MacArthur Airport.

fk6065
2017-05-26, 09:51 PM
A few from Friday afternoon;

https://photos.smugmug.com/Other/My-Smug-Mug/n-MTwKGQ/i-sFc6qwb/0/d860633a/L/i-sFc6qwb-L.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/Other/My-Smug-Mug/n-MTwKGQ/i-fRNKfxK/0/31088a90/L/i-fRNKfxK-L.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/Other/My-Smug-Mug/n-MTwKGQ/i-kSXbKHz/0/2528b918/L/i-kSXbKHz-L.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/Other/My-Smug-Mug/n-MTwKGQ/i-Gw2RML9/0/bd51e23f/L/i-Gw2RML9-L.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/Other/My-Smug-Mug/n-MTwKGQ/i-c5Rf2Qt/0/fe8c3b4f/L/i-c5Rf2Qt-L.jpg

Fighting Falcon
2017-05-26, 10:00 PM
GREAT pictures, fk6065!

The practice was awesome this afternoon. I really appreciating the sight surveying that took place 20 minutes before the practice flight.

Chris S
2017-05-26, 10:38 PM
Great shots, Fred ! Where exactly were you set up for those shots ?
Yeah, we lucked out and got some decent light down at the beach this afternoon.

dekdawg21
2017-05-26, 10:46 PM
Yes it seems like that was their first chance to familiarize themselves to the area but when they did their show it was pretty good. It was about 45 minutes in total and I was down by the shoreline and they got me twice with the sneak passes, one which literally scared the heck out of everyone!! Weather cleared up pretty good with the sun shining and temp around 70.

I was down there too. And it was good seeing it was there first run. Like seeing the circle and arrivals. Had the scanner going, didn't have most of their frequencies loaded but kept hearing 5 tell 6 to go chase! And the second sneak pass really got everyone around me!

fk6065
2017-05-26, 10:46 PM
Great shots, Fred ! Where exactly were you set up for those shots ?
Yeah, we lucked out and got some decent light down at the beach this afternoon.

Chris I was just to the right of show center. Parked in field 4, walked out to the center mall and done to show center down by the water.

Gerard
2017-05-27, 08:36 AM
And the second sneak pass really got everyone around me!

Yes that was the one. Super fast and Super LOUD!!!

dekdawg21
2017-05-27, 10:02 AM
Two years ago they didn't come in until late in the afternoon on Thursday around 4PM. And from what my weather sources tell me including the very reliable "Angry Bens Angry Weather" on Facebook,(shameless plug for a friend lol) it should be much better by Friday afternoon.

Angry Ben is awesome!

gpalz1
2017-05-27, 11:15 AM
From MacArthur Airport.

Thanks Fred. That was the first place I looked in case they did another public viewing before they leave. Couldn't find the post.

Nice pics as usual.

Gerard
2017-05-28, 08:18 AM
How was the crowd at the beach yesterday? I went over to Wantagh Park after the Fleet Week Fly In at Eisenhower Park and watched the show from the shoreline there!! A different perspective but wasnt so bad. They flew right overe us as they came in for their entrance and we had a number of fly overs during the course of the show!! Also I had my mini-binocs which helped. Cloud cover forced a low show but from the park it also seemed to generate more Thunder. I did notice when I drove into the Park that the entrance to the SB Wantagh was open. There were two State trucks parked on the side I guess to close off if necessary but they just sat there. Was wondering if I had decided to head down to the beach, how far would I get? Would I be able to pull over and park on the grass to watch?
Thanks all, have a great Sunday!!

gettysburgerrn
2017-05-28, 08:24 AM
Anyone Know what time the Thunderbirds take off from Islip for the 4 pm demo at the beach?

Ken

gettysburgerrn
2017-05-28, 08:28 AM
Crowds not terrible yesterday. I guess overcast and chilly weather kept them away...I did see some cars parked on side of ocean pkwy. That said, I left after the Thunderbirds finished, and between packing up walking to my car (in back of field 4 lot), we were home (Massapequa) in maybe an hour...traffic not bad at all....dunno bout today...want to go to islip today

ken

Gerard
2017-05-28, 09:05 AM
Crowds not terrible yesterday. I guess overcast and chilly weather kept them away...I did see some cars parked on side of ocean pkwy. That said, I left after the Thunderbirds finished, and between packing up walking to my car (in back of field 4 lot), we were home (Massapequa) in maybe an hour...traffic not bad at all....dunno bout today...want to go to islip today

Thanks and I hear they leave sometime after 3:30

mirrodie
2017-05-28, 09:47 AM
Doubtful we'll see the show but curious is there is a real benefit to seeing at Islip. Tough viewing,no?

moose135
2017-05-28, 05:12 PM
Here's a look at the action around the American Airpower Museum on Friday and Saturday.

Bill Evans of WABC-7 was on the air live from the museum a number of times on Friday.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Airplanes/Air-Shows/Jones-Beach-Air-Show-2017/i-nNRWbCj/1/179f020e/XL/JM_2017_05_26_Jones_Beach_Air_Show_002-XL.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/Airplanes/Air-Shows/Jones-Beach-Air-Show-2017/i-2S3PZKs/1/b15f7207/XL/JM_2017_05_26_Jones_Beach_Air_Show_009-XL.jpg

NYPD made a fly over on Saturday morning.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Airplanes/Air-Shows/Jones-Beach-Air-Show-2017/i-r6swS7j/0/3b6cb512/XL/JM_2017_05_27_Jones_Beach_Air_Show_003-XL.jpg

Yankee Lady heads out for a flight.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Airplanes/Air-Shows/Jones-Beach-Air-Show-2017/i-TXJmcGr/0/7f534646/XL/JM_2017_05_27_Jones_Beach_Air_Show_001-XL.jpg

AAM's C-47 departs while Sean Tucker waits to head to the beach.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Airplanes/Air-Shows/Jones-Beach-Air-Show-2017/i-vvHh5Ls/0/6aa8b1eb/XL/JM_2017_05_27_Jones_Beach_Air_Show_004-XL.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/Airplanes/Air-Shows/Jones-Beach-Air-Show-2017/i-jBs9mpn/0/39ebddeb/XL/JM_2017_05_27_Jones_Beach_Air_Show_008-XL.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/Airplanes/Air-Shows/Jones-Beach-Air-Show-2017/i-Wh7L7rW/0/0062673e/XL/JM_2017_05_27_Jones_Beach_Air_Show_009-XL.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/Airplanes/Air-Shows/Jones-Beach-Air-Show-2017/i-kqbGdwj/0/332b0c7a/XL/JM_2017_05_27_Jones_Beach_Air_Show_012-XL.jpg

Gerard
2017-05-28, 06:48 PM
Hung out at the Plaza by Stew Leonards today and was fortunate to catch the whole Warbird Flight of 5 as they headed down to the beach. Then when they came back they all did FlyBys before they landed. Also got to see the B-17 Yankee Lady depart and return.
The Warrior Team headed home after the came back to Republic but treated us to a high speed flyby when they returned from the beach. So did the Screaming Sasquatch, all smoke and noise lol!
Speaking of the beach, just for the heck of it, I drove down there around 3:30. No traffic at all and the Tbirds actually came on early at 4:52. They were, of course, pretty strict about parking on the shoulders but I was able to do that a few times before getting chased and driving slowly in the right lane I got
to see most of the show. Many others were doiung the same!!
I was surprised how much of a good time I had at Republic today but I have to wonder how many people had no idea that the Tbirds were not there and
would not be flying past!! From reading comments sections on different stories about the show on social media apparentl there were quite a few!!
Oh well another Jones Beach Air Show comes to an end!! I have a few more planned as the Summer arrives!! And that cant be soon enough!! Once the sun left it got quite chilly out!!

dekdawg21
2017-05-28, 11:26 PM
Thunderbird came back early, fly in around 4:30ish. Sounded like they left an hour or so later but didn't see if it was them.

Gerard
2017-05-29, 09:12 AM
Thunderbird came back early, fly in around 4:30ish. Sounded like they left an hour or so later but didn't see if it was them.

Yes they did the full show but started earlier than the 4:00 start time. Back in 2009 when the Thunderbirds last stayed at Republic they didnt leave till Monday!! That was pretty cool. Even got to see their C-17 land and takeoff on Runway 1. Very impressive. When I went back to Republic all the civilan performer had packed and left. The Warrior Team left around 2PM. Did get to see the visiting Grumman Avenger head out around 5:15. Anyone know where they came from? The B-17 is still there. Not sure when they are leaving but all flight operations have been cancelled today because of the weather. This from the AAM Facebook page!!

moose135
2017-05-29, 12:03 PM
The Avenger was out of White Plains. He took it home and came back with a Yak. The B-17 usually leaves on Tuesday. If the weather improves, they do plan to fly it today.

Gerard
2017-05-29, 12:37 PM
The Avenger was out of White Plains. He took it home and came back with a Yak. The B-17 usually leaves on Tuesday. If the weather improves, they do plan to fly it today.

Thank you!!! Looks like the rain is gone but still pretty cloudy!!

Gerard
2017-05-29, 02:36 PM
Looks like the rain is gone but still pretty cloudy!!

Of course a half hour later I go out with my wife and we were on 110 not far from the airport and it started pouring out!! Yeah I'm no Bill Evans lol

ch2tdriver
2017-05-30, 09:49 AM

Where is the AAM's Avenger?

moose135
2017-05-30, 10:05 AM
Where is the AAM's Avenger?

It was on the ramp this weekend.

ch2tdriver
2017-05-31, 09:38 AM
It was on the ramp this weekend.

I wonder if they are short of pilots? I know Nick was flying his own Stearman in the BAS segment and he's checked out on it. I was surprised when I saw the TBM was Charlie's "She's the Boss". Would've loved to see two TBMs in the air and the B-25 as well, since this year is the 75th anniversary of the Doolittle raid. Would've made up for the B-17 not in the show this year.

Gerard
2017-05-31, 11:35 AM
I wonder if they are short of pilots? I know Nick was flying his own Stearman in the BAS segment and he's checked out on it. I was surprised when I saw the TBM was Charlie's "She's the Boss". Would've loved to see two TBMs in the air and the B-25 as well, since this year is the 75th anniversary of the Doolittle raid. Would've made up for the B-17 not in the show this year.

The B-25 Miss Hap did fly this weekend

rkfast
2017-05-31, 05:04 PM
Very disappointed that Yankee Lady and Miss Hap didn't fly the air show. At least they didn't on Saturday.

moose135
2017-05-31, 08:58 PM
Very disappointed that Yankee Lady and Miss Hap didn't fly the air show. At least they didn't on Saturday.

Miss Hap didn't really fly much at all this weekend. Saturday late afternoon, it went up for an FAA checkride for one of the pilots. As in the past, Yankee Lady got sponsorship through the AAM to appear, not the air show organizers. If they wanted her to fly at the beach, they would have needed to help cover expenses.

Gerard
2017-05-31, 10:35 PM
Miss Hap didn't really fly much at all this weekend. Saturday late afternoon, it went up for an FAA checkride for one of the pilots. As in the past, Yankee Lady got sponsorship through the AAM to appear, not the air show organizers. If they wanted her to fly at the beach, they would have needed to help cover expenses.

John, Miss Hap was part of the flight that went up Sunday to the beach. They did a fly by at the airport with the others when they returned and then landed and that was it.

moose135
2017-05-31, 10:46 PM
Thanks, Gerard, I skipped the festivities on Sunday.

rmssch89
2017-06-01, 08:27 PM
Here are some shots from Republic on Saturday.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4270/34230346103_b6be59fae6_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/U9Ptk6)
US Army Golden Knights (https://flic.kr/p/U9Ptk6) by Ryan Schmelzer (https://www.flickr.com/photos/rmssch89/), on Flickr

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4284/34197145554_e692490b5f_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/U6TiXQ)
L-39C N55107 (https://flic.kr/p/U6TiXQ) by Ryan Schmelzer (https://www.flickr.com/photos/rmssch89/), on Flickr

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4199/34230344823_f5b73171ee_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/U9PsX2)
C-47 &quot;Second Chance&quot; (https://flic.kr/p/U9PsX2) by Ryan Schmelzer (https://www.flickr.com/photos/rmssch89/), on Flickr

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4251/34876716342_426957bfa9_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/V8WhFy)
B-17 &quot;Yankee Lady&quot; (https://flic.kr/p/V8WhFy) by Ryan Schmelzer (https://www.flickr.com/photos/rmssch89/), on Flickr

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4242/34197144074_6734c68aa8_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/U6Tiwj)
C-47 &quot;Second Chance&quot; (https://flic.kr/p/U6Tiwj) by Ryan Schmelzer (https://www.flickr.com/photos/rmssch89/), on Flickr

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4248/34197143954_b5fca78b16_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/U6Tiuf)
TBM-3U Avenger &quot;She&#x27;s the Boss&quot; (https://flic.kr/p/U6Tiuf) by Ryan Schmelzer (https://www.flickr.com/photos/rmssch89/), on Flickr

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4273/35000715006_f73481e9a5_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/VjTPay)
T-6G N27409 (https://flic.kr/p/VjTPay) by Ryan Schmelzer (https://www.flickr.com/photos/rmssch89/), on Flickr

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4259/34197143854_32b78e5fda_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/U6Tisw)
AT-6C &quot;Dazzling Deb&quot; (https://flic.kr/p/U6Tisw) by Ryan Schmelzer (https://www.flickr.com/photos/rmssch89/), on Flickr

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4206/35041069745_1b38db0c75_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/VosDdV)
P-40M &quot;The Jackie C.&quot; (https://flic.kr/p/VosDdV) by Ryan Schmelzer (https://www.flickr.com/photos/rmssch89/), on Flickr

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4236/34230342383_3c2994d6cb_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/U9PsdX)
C-47 &quot;Second Chance&quot; (https://flic.kr/p/U9PsdX) by Ryan Schmelzer (https://www.flickr.com/photos/rmssch89/), on Flickr

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4217/34909076871_778b8ec887_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/VbN9kH)
Private G-V N37AL (https://flic.kr/p/VbN9kH) by Ryan Schmelzer (https://www.flickr.com/photos/rmssch89/), on Flickr

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4274/35041068325_e63350004d_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/VosCNr)
Geico Skytyper 5 (https://flic.kr/p/VosCNr) by Ryan Schmelzer (https://www.flickr.com/photos/rmssch89/), on Flickr

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4249/35041068035_9109f18366_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/VosCHr)
B-17 &quot;Yankee Lady&quot; (https://flic.kr/p/VosCHr) by Ryan Schmelzer (https://www.flickr.com/photos/rmssch89/), on Flickr

captmjk16
2017-06-03, 04:56 PM
Nice shots Ryan!

Zee71
2017-06-03, 10:17 PM
Way to go Ryan .... nice work! Here are some shots taken from Field 5 during the practice run on Friday of the T-Birds.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Aviation/Air-Shows/Jones-Beach-2017/i-6S57ChN/0/60b418bd/L/TBs_01_JonesBeach_26May2017_150-600mm-L.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/Aviation/Air-Shows/Jones-Beach-2017/i-szfnLJP/0/0c227e72/L/TBs_02_JonesBeach_26May2017_150-600mm-L.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/Aviation/Air-Shows/Jones-Beach-2017/i-SX6bc5V/0/c76d4c21/L/TBs_03_JonesBeach_26May2017_150-600mm-L.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/Aviation/Air-Shows/Jones-Beach-2017/i-4kzpXc2/0/ddb66126/L/TBs_04_JonesBeach_26May2017_150-600mm-L.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/Aviation/Air-Shows/Jones-Beach-2017/i-qQ86hjv/0/2b5cd8d3/L/TBs_06_JonesBeach_26May2017_150-600mm-L.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/Aviation/Air-Shows/Jones-Beach-2017/i-n6JbjWq/0/6039c254/L/TBs_05_JonesBeach_26May2017_150-600mm-L.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/Aviation/Air-Shows/Jones-Beach-2017/i-z7QcvxV/0/225fad05/L/TBs_07_JonesBeach_26May2017_150-600mm-L.jpg

WestJet heading to JFK for a 22R arrival.
https://photos.smugmug.com/Aviation/Air-Shows/Jones-Beach-2017/i-NCsBNmQ/0/03268512/L/TBs_08_JonesBeach_26May2017_150-600mm-L.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/Aviation/Air-Shows/Jones-Beach-2017/i-Ng7gGq3/0/4f97132a/L/TBs_09_JonesBeach_26May2017_150-600mm-L.jpg

rkfast
2017-06-07, 09:39 AM

That was my understanding. Makes sense. Still stinks, as in years past we got the whole magilla of aircraft. Now its cut way back it seems.

Overall...and I'm sure Ill get flamed for this...is the show getting kind of stale? Its the same acts and same routine year after year and even more so the last few years. No Heritage Flights, few if any TAC Demos, no "special visitors" like Growlers, the Bone or even a Rhino up from Oceana for the weekend, which we used to get almost every year. The Air Force has been almost non-existent at these shows (besides the T-Birds) lately and then when they are here they are out at ISP. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy we have a show at all, but it seems some of the "juice" has been taken out of it lately. The show still pulls in over 300,000 between the two days (on a bad weather year) so its not because of lack of spectator interest, that's for sure.

Mateo
2017-06-07, 11:53 AM
That was my understanding. Makes sense. Still stinks, as in years past we got the whole magilla of aircraft. Now its cut way back it seems.

Overall...and I'm sure Ill get flamed for this...is the show getting kind of stale? Its the same acts and same routine year after year and even more so the last few years. No Heritage Flights, few if any TAC Demos, no "special visitors" like Growlers, the Bone or even a Rhino up from Oceana for the weekend, which we used to get almost every year. The Air Force has been almost non-existent at these shows (besides the T-Birds) lately and then when they are here they are out at ISP. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy we have a show at all, but it seems some of the "juice" has been taken out of it lately. The show still pulls in over 300,000 between the two days (on a bad weather year) so its not because of lack of spectator interest, that's for sure.
Post-sequestration, a lot of airshow everything has been cut back - even AFBs that used to do shows every year (like Andrews) have busted down to biennial.

Billbo1970
2017-06-08, 12:01 PM

I agree 100%. This is the 1st year since it started that I did not attend. I think most of us want to hear the thunder more than anything, and that was distinctly lacking in this years show. No snowbirds, no CAF Hornet, No Breitling, No A-10, no TAC Demo, No Raptor, No B-1B... doubt we'll EVER get a B-2 or F-35. I wonder how the AC show will be this year? Still no performers listed.

ch2tdriver
2017-06-08, 12:23 PM
You've got to remember that again this year construction at JFK was a big issue. The TAC demos and teams need the 15K and 5 miles TFR restriction and besides the TB's at 4pm, TRACON was not giving up their airspace. It was the reason that the F18 TAC Demo was scrubbed, and why the show was held from Noon to 5pm. The same thing occurred in 2015. Last year we had a good show. 3 teams and the F-22 with HF including the F35. Who could we reach out to in order to make suggestion for the show? Does anyone have the organizers contact info?

puckstopper55
2017-06-08, 01:58 PM
You've got to remember that again this year construction at JFK was a big issue. The TAC demos and teams need the 15K and 5 miles TFR restriction and besides the TB's at 4pm, TRACON was not giving up their airspace. It was the reason that the F18 TAC Demo was scrubbed, and why the show was held from Noon to 5pm. The same thing occurred in 2015. Last year we had a good show. 3 teams and the F-22 with HF including the F35. Who could we reach out to in order to make suggestion for the show? Does anyone have the organizers contact info?

Its my understanding that this show draws more people than most airshows. Is this correct? I cannot understand why we have such a difficult time attracting top level planes & performers. Long Island has such a proud aviation heritage and I am shocked that with our still current companies (although only a shell of what they used to be) Grumman, Lockheed, BAE etc they cant "press" to have some of their metal flying up here.

Billbo1970
2017-06-09, 07:09 AM
Last year we had a good show. 3 teams and the F-22 with HF including the F35. Who could we reach out to in order to make suggestion for the show? Does anyone have the organizers contact info?

We had an F-35 last year?! How do I not remember seeing this?!?!

Billbo1970
2017-06-09, 07:10 AM
Its my understanding that this show draws more people than most airshows. Is this correct? I cannot understand why we have such a difficult time attracting top level planes & performers. Long Island has such a proud aviation heritage and I am shocked that with our still current companies (although only a shell of what they used to be) Grumman, Lockheed, BAE etc they cant "press" to have some of their metal flying up here.

Right?!

puckstopper55
2017-06-09, 08:40 AM
yes we did, but it was just a heritage flight. I think it did a single pass and that was it. It actually put on a great display at FRG. Several passes and a touch and go.

ch2tdriver
2017-06-09, 10:22 AM

Here's a little bit of history. Back in 2003 there was a group who wanted a "New York Airshow" on LI and it was held at Calverton. It was a disaster in every respect. Apparently however, that same group had bid and won the Blue Angels for their 2004 show. That show was not going to happen, at least not at Calverton. Rather than tell the BA's to stay home, the NYS powers that be said "How about we have an airshow at Jones Beach?" The rest is history.

That first show in 2004 was pretty light. It was David Winmiller, Sean Tucker, the AAM warbirds, the F-16 Demo twice, a pair of S-3 Vikings and the Blue Angels. Bethpage FCU was a sponsor. Over the years the airshow grew and Bethpage FCU pretty much took over the show as the major if not sole sponsor. So today it sounds like they hold the purse strings and plan the show. The folks in charge seem to be taking the easy route and just pull out the same play book year after year. They may be tightening the budget too for all we know, as evidenced by the B-17 not flying in the show.

Also some of you may not know but the Bethpage FCU started out as the Grumman employees FCU. So there is a bit of history there. However, Northrup/Grumman is a shadow of its former self on LI, and other than a sanctioned company event there won't be a pressing need to get a Growler or E-2C to make a few passes. Military fly-bys since the sequestration seem to be few and far between nowadays. Budgets must be tight. Yes with the attendence we rate them, but its going to take an effort by someone to coordinate them. At AFB open houses there is some commanding officer with clout to get them, but we don't have that with Bethpage. We would need some local politicians to get involved. I have a feeling they have no interest in doing so. After all when you have the TB/BA an F-22 or F-18 why do you need more?

Are only option is to find out those in charge of planning next years show, and let it be known what we want to see. Politely ask them to change it up a bit. Although I have a feeling the like booking the local "talent".

Chris S
2017-06-09, 05:25 PM
We had an F-35 last year?! How do I not remember seeing this?!?!

Yeah, it did some great low approaches at FRG all 3 days last year, here's a video I found ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwYqWhi8Sfk

Chris S
2017-06-09, 05:45 PM

FYI - This is the info listed on the International Council of Air Shows (ICAS) website
for the contact info for Bethpage Air Show at Jones Beach:

Bethpage Air Show at Jones Beach
2017-05-26 - 2017-05-28 (Wantagh, NY - US)
For more information, contact George Gorman Jr at 631-321-3403
Organization Points of Contact:
Mr George Gorman (https://www.airshows.aero/MemberProfile/23166/)
Ms Ann Marie Agostinello (https://www.airshows.aero/MemberProfile/24166/)

https://www.airshows.aero/OrgProfile/23165

Gerard
2017-06-10, 11:03 AM
I believe its been established that the B-17 only comes in for the AAM event and not the air show. That's been the way it's been for years.
And also mentioned was the closing of R22 of JFK and TRACON not budging for any airspace.
Last tear I was only at the practice shop but I do remember the F-35 and the Heritage Flight doing a number of passes including a pretty cool entrance over the Water Tower.
Look it was an off year. The year before was amazing. It happens. The alternative is having no air show at all and I don't think anyone here wants to see that happen.

Chris S
2017-06-10, 12:07 PM
I believe its been established that the B-17 only comes in for the AAM event and not the air show. That's been the way it's been for years.

Actually, the B-17, Yankee Lady has flown in the Jones Beach Show many times, like 2012, 2014 and 2015 just to name a few years.

Here's a video from 2012 when it did the cool watermelon drop over the ocean >>>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVnnqZEt7GI

Gerard
2017-06-10, 06:57 PM
Actually, the B-17, Yankee Lady has flown in the Jones Beach Show many times, like 2012, 2014 and 2015 just to name a few years.

Here's a video from 2012 when it did the cool watermelon drop over the ocean >>>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVnnqZEt7GI

Tten I stand corrected. I probably don't remember as I usually go to the practice shows and the warbirds mostly don't fly that. And the one show I did go on a Sunday I didn't get over to the beach until after the Warbirds.
Thanks

dekdawg21
2017-06-13, 10:28 AM
Yeah, F-22 wasn't there on practice day last year. I have to say though that minus other jet teams this year's show (practice day anyway as it was the only day i went) wasn't as bad as i feared. Yes i wish there was more and i didn't start going down to the beach until around 2010 as i always enjoyed the airport activity so it seems i missed some good flybys before then. I am hopeful though now seeing the A-10 back in heritage flights, maybe we'll see the demo soon. And is the f-35 doing demos or only heritage flights?