PDA

View Full Version : 2015 Thunder Over the Boardwalk Airshow

Steven Holzinger
2014-12-02, 11:04 PM
Just a quick FYI... the 2015 edition of Thunder Over the Boardwalk (you know, that airshow in Atlantic City...) has MOVED their dates from May 27 (with practice on May 26) to September 2 (with practice on September 1).

It's still Tuesday-Wednesday just like the original dates, the Blue Angels are still scheduled to appear on the new dates, and there is a LOT of speculation now that the show is in September that could possibly be answered next week when the Thunderbirds and Snowbirds schedules for 2015 are released...

puckstopper55
2014-12-03, 11:11 AM
never understood the Wednesday show. Why not make it a weekend?

moose135
2014-12-03, 12:11 PM
Because they have no problem attracting people to AC on the weekend. They're looking to drive some mid-week traffic.

Mateo
2014-12-03, 06:42 PM
They're also pretty much guaranteed one of the big jet teams for a midweek show. I agree with the frustration, though; I've never been because of the midweek timing.

megatop412
2014-12-03, 08:53 PM
I was able to go when I was unemployed a couple years back. It was a great show!

puckstopper55
2014-12-04, 09:54 AM
and this answer makes sense. Thank you!

Steven Holzinger
2014-12-04, 06:46 PM
There will be "more than one team" at AC next year. It's not the Thunderbirds, and this does not include the GEICO Skytypers, even though they are scheduled...

Gerard
2014-12-04, 09:11 PM
Just a quick FYI... the 2015 edition of Thunder Over the Boardwalk (you know, that airshow in Atlantic City...) has MOVED their dates from May 27 (with practice on May 26) to September 2 (with practice on September 1).

So they originally going to do the show the days before the Jones Beach Airshow/Fleet Week/Memorial Day? That would have been interesting!! Now i see its the week before Labor Day!! Mmmm, already planning my summer vacation schedule and its December!! :cool:

Mateo
2014-12-06, 02:22 AM
There will be "more than one team" at AC next year. It's not the Thunderbirds, and this does not include the GEICO Skytypers, even though they are scheduled...Do I hear Anne Murray's most famous song in my speakers....?

moose135
2014-12-09, 03:12 PM
Do I hear Anne Murray's most famous song in my speakers....?
Not according to the schedule they just released:
http://www.airshowstuff.com/blog/?p=2139

In fact, AC is not on the schedules released for the Thunderbirds, Blue Angels, or Snowbirds.

The Breitling Jet Team is scheduled for both Jones Beach and AC, however:
http://www.airshowstuff.com/blog/?p=2145

Gerard
2014-12-09, 07:47 PM
http://www.airshowstuff.com/blog/?p=2139
In fact, AC is not on the schedules released for the Thunderbirds, Blue Angels, or Snowbirds.

John I just saw Angels for AC on the list.
And you going to Moose Jaw on May 1 for the Snowbirds? :rolleyes::tongue::biggrin:

Steven Holzinger
2014-12-09, 08:50 PM
I'm confident the Blues will be in AC next year. I mean, they already made a site visit.........

moose135
2014-12-09, 10:13 PM
I'm confident the Blues will be in AC next year. I mean, they already made a site visit.........
I think they updated the page I originally saw - AC is on their list for 2015. And Gerard, I've wanted to go to Moose Jaw for a long time! :wink:

Mateo
2014-12-10, 12:37 AM
http://www.airshowstuff.com/blog/?p=2139Oh, sure, I finally made it to Quonset this year and the Snowbirds come next year :< . Love the Snowbirds - haven't seen them since Andrews in 06 or 07.

Speaking of Andrews - September 19/20 and it's the same weekend as Oceana? That's going to very annoyingly split up what's available for a static, especially on the Navy side of things. And since when is there an airshow at Westover?

I noticed also on the Blues schedule something called the New York City Airshow at Coney Island in August 2016. Anyone know more about that?

moose135
2014-12-10, 01:15 AM
I noticed also on the Blues schedule something called the New York City Airshow at Coney Island in August 2016. Anyone know more about that?

A couple of years ago there was something like that scheduled, which never came off - might have been on the Thunderbirds schedule. Basically a demo over the water off the beach, like the Jones Beach show. I don't recall anything else scheduled as part of it the last time it was discussed.

Gerard
2014-12-10, 10:09 PM
A couple of years ago there was something like that scheduled, which never came off - might have been on the Thunderbirds schedule. Basically a demo over the water off the beach, like the Jones Beach show. I don't recall anything else scheduled as part of it the last time it was discussed.

Last time it was done if i remember somewhere in late 90s, like 98 or something!! I remember watching it from the Marina with my boys off Flatbush Ave adjacent to Floyd Bennett!! Boy those jets were buzzing low all over the place!!

gettysburgerrn
2015-02-10, 07:01 AM
Is there going to be an airshow in Coney Island this year...I thought I read somewhere that there was goin to be one but I cant seem to find any information on it...thanks...

ken

Chris S
2015-02-10, 12:23 PM
Well the Navy Leap Frogs and USMC Harrier Demo both have Coney Island on their 2015 schedules for Aug. 29-30,
but I haven't heard any other info about the show so I don't know if it's actually going to happen or not :confused:
Coney Island was supposed to have a show back in 2010 also but it was canceled so I'll believe it when I see it :wink:

Chris S
2015-02-23, 05:04 PM
FYI- the F-22 Demo is scheduled to be at Coney Island also and so is Mike Wiskus and his Lucas Oil Aerobatic Demo,
so hopefully we'll hear more official news about the NYC show soon and that they'll post a website for the show also:confused:

Update: Here's the links for the NYC Air Show but there's no info posted yet:
http://newyorkcityairshow.com/
https://www.facebook.com/airshownyc

zigtronics
2015-02-24, 03:31 PM
I believe this show is actually slated for August of 2016 featuring the Blue Angels

zigtronics
2015-02-25, 07:50 AM
Looks like the show is on!!
8/29-8/30/15

B-25 Panchito
USAF F-22A Raptor Demo
USMC AV-8 Harrier Demo
USN Leap Frogs
Mike Wiskus & the Lucas Oil Pitts

Chris S
2015-03-16, 01:54 PM
The USN F/A-18F Super Hornet Demo from VFA-106 is scheduled to be at the show also.

Aviation.High.Guy
2015-03-16, 02:07 PM
Looking forward to this show! Thanks for the updates folks

Gerard
2015-03-21, 06:34 PM
Looks like the show is on!!
8/29-8/30/15

B-25 Panchito
USAF F-22A Raptor Demo
USMC AV-8 Harrier Demo
USN Leap Frogs
Mike Wiskus & the Lucas Oil Pitts

That might be it!! Angels ARE scheduled for 2016 but no Angels/TBirds this year!!

fk6065
2015-03-25, 07:53 PM
While I am thrilled at the possibility of having another air show in our area I have to agree with Chris S, "I'll believe when I see it"

Part of the reason it was cancelled last time was the Bloomberg administration realized it would cost the city way to much money in overtime and cleanup as opposed to what revenue it would generate.

As for my personal opinion this is one of the worst venues in NYC to have an air show. There is very little public parking in Coney Island, the two largest venues, The Aquarium and The Cyclones Park aren't handling the cars. Plus there are only a few roads into Coney Island from the main part of Brooklyn. It is going to be a nightmare!

That means the Subway or bus as the LIRR doesn't run to Coney Island.

As for shuttle buses my only guess would be, Flyod Bennett Field and that's a half hour ride easily on the bus if there is no traffic on the Belt.

So take the sheer magnitude of people that normally go to Coney Island in the summer and add the air show attendees and good luck ................

Gerard
2015-03-25, 09:34 PM
That means the Subway or bus as the LIRR doesn't run to Coney Island.

I've been to Brooklyn Cyclones games coming in from L.I on the LIRR. Once I changed at Jamaica and took the train to Atlantic and caught the subway therer!! Second time i went straight to Penn then walked down to 6 Ave and caught subway there and found that faster and more convenient as the wait time at Jamaica for my connection was a half hour!! It wasnt a bad ride. There are 3 lines that go into Coney!! For me it was more relaxing as driving on the SSP/Belt Parkway especially in the summer can be a pain AND I would be indulging in adult beverages before, during and after the game :eek::tongue: :cool: so mass transportation was a great option.

fk6065
2015-03-26, 01:17 PM
I've been to Brooklyn Cyclones games coming in from L.I on the LIRR. Once I changed at Jamaica and took the train to Atlantic and caught the subway therer!! Second time i went straight to Penn then walked down to 6 Ave and caught subway there and found that faster and more convenient as the wait time at Jamaica for my connection was a half hour!! It wasnt a bad ride. There are 3 lines that go into Coney!! For me it was more relaxing as driving on the SSP/Belt Parkway especially in the summer can be a pain AND I would be indulging in adult beverages before, during and after the game :eek::tongue: :cool: so mass transportation was a great option.

I was saying that there is no LIRR branch that runs into Coney Island.

dekdawg21
2015-03-26, 07:47 PM
I remember back in 98 I think it was, the Blues did a show there and we were coming across the bridge saw the Blues and parked along the Belt. Lots of cars had the same idea

Gerard
2015-03-26, 09:31 PM
I was saying that there is no LIRR branch that runs into Coney Island.

Yes I know, I was just giving an account how easy it is to get there if you want to take LIRR then subway.

Gerard
2015-03-26, 09:33 PM
I remember back in 98 I think it was, the Blues did a show there and we were coming across the bridge saw the Blues and parked along the Belt. Lots of cars had the same idea

Yup!! I watched it from the marina across from Floyd Bennett Field with my two boys. The Blues were buzzing all over the place low level!! It was pretty cool!

Chris S
2015-04-11, 08:18 PM
The Horsemen Flight Team have the Coney Island Air Show on their 2015 schedule also :cool:
http://www.horsemenflight.com/

gettysburgerrn
2015-04-15, 05:15 AM
Any other information about this show?

Ke

Chris S
2015-06-01, 10:51 AM
Update: According to info posted by the Air Combat Command the show at
Coney Island has been moved up to Stewart ANG in Newburgh, NY.
That will definitely be a better venue than Coney Island !! :cool:

eric8669
2015-06-01, 02:14 PM
I believe the Coney Island Airshow has been cancelled and moved.

Yup. Chris you are correct.

Gerard
2015-06-01, 10:00 PM
Update: According to info posted by the Air Combat Command the show at
Coney Island has been moved up to Stewart ANG in Newburgh, NY.
That will definitely be a better venue than Coney Island !! :cool:

You have a link for that?
Not sure a better venue. Not a whole lot of parking or places to watch. Not that CI had great parking but closer and public transportation available

ch2tdriver
2015-06-02, 07:53 PM
This is great news! I remember going to the show at Stewart in September of 1988. Great static display line up! It was the first time I saw a B-1 and B-52 up close. (Well sort of, behind the armed guards, but at least clear picture taking) Also F-111's from Pease NH. Great stuff. They had the show on the long runway and there was plenty of room for the spectators along that parallel taxiway where the statics were parked. Thunderbirds headlined that year.

Gerard
2015-06-02, 09:41 PM
This is great news! I remember going to the show at Stewart in September of 1988. Great static display line up! It was the first time I saw a B-1 and B-52 up close. (Well sort of, behind the armed guards, but at least clear picture taking) Also F-111's from Pease NH. Great stuff. They had the show on the long runway and there was plenty of room for the spectators along that parallel taxiway where the statics were parked. Thunderbirds headlined that year.

Sounds cool but where would everyone park? I've been up there a bunch of times and except for the grounds of the airport by the Terminal not sure where other parking would be.

ch2tdriver
2015-06-03, 03:55 PM
I don't specifically remember the parking situation, but obviously it was taken care of as I vaguely remember driving in and parking on grass somewhere on the military (airport South Side?) side of the base. There was plenty of room that I recall. We were no where near the terminal. While the airshow was free, I do remember them charging a flat fee of $25 a car to park, regardless of how many people were in it. Back in those days airshows were what? $5-$8 pp tops? I also remember (which was typical of airshows back then) being acosted in the parking lot by those people out in mass who would hand you a sticker and ask for a $5 donation. Had no idea what that charity was, but they always were in airshow parking lots it seems and they weren't associated with the show ever.

Gerard
2015-06-03, 07:12 PM
I don't specifically remember the parking situation, but obviously it was taken care of as I vaguely remember driving in and parking on grass somewhere on the military (airport South Side?) side of the base. There was plenty of room that I recall. We were no where near the terminal. While the airshow was free, I do remember them charging a flat fee of $25 a car to park, regardless of how many people were in it. Back in those days airshows were what? $5-$8 pp tops? I also remember (which was typical of airshows back then) being acosted in the parking lot by those people out in mass who would hand you a sticker and ask for a $5 donation. Had no idea what that charity was, but they always were in airshow parking lots it seems and they weren't associated with the show ever.

Moonies? LOL!! Thanks for the info! Of course that was 27 tears ago and we know things have changed!! As is i wouldnt have been able to go there or CI as we have a wedding in Philly that weekend but curious none-the-less!! I used to take my boys up there in the late 90s and hang out on the road overlooking the runways!! Caught some of those C-5s a number of times along with other military aircraft and were never hassled!!

Chris S
2015-06-04, 08:41 AM
The ACC has also updated their Air Show schedule showing that the F-22 Demo will now be at Stewart IAP on Aug. 29 - 30th.
http://newpreview.afnews.af.mil/acc/aerialevents/f22a/f-22demoschedule.asp

I know back in 2003 they used school buses to shuttle the people into the show from nearby parking fields and
I believe they charged a separate fee for parking and admission. Anyway, hopefully they'll post info for the Air Show
soon and that they'll set-up the show like they did in 2003 where you were facing NW with the sun behind you! :cool:

ch2tdriver
2015-06-04, 05:13 PM
The ACC has also updated their Air Show schedule showing that the F-22 Demo will now be at Stewart IAP on Aug. 29 - 30th.
http://newpreview.afnews.af.mil/acc/aerialevents/f22a/f-22demoschedule.asp

I know back in 2003 they used school buses to shuttle the people into the show from nearby parking fields and
I believe they charged a separate fee for parking and admission. Anyway, hopefully they'll post info for the Air Show
soon and that they'll set-up the show like they did in 2003 where you were facing NW with the sun behind you! :cool: Yes, hope so. I'm planning on attending. I hope they expand the line up.

gettysburgerrn
2015-06-04, 06:28 PM
Is there a website for this airshow?

Ken

Chris S
2015-06-04, 06:53 PM
The PANYNJ is the lead agency for the show now and I heard they should have a show update in a couple of weeks.:cool:

moose135
2015-06-04, 07:29 PM
The PANYNJ is the lead agency for the show now and I heard they should have a show update in a couple of weeks.:cool:

That's great news - maybe Chris Christie will be out setting up cones for traffic control...
;-)

Chris S
2015-06-05, 10:55 AM
BTW, here's the show's new FB page link and they should be posting an update around June 18th:

https://www.facebook.com/airshowny

Mateo
2015-06-05, 11:13 AM
The PANYNJ is the lead agency for the show now and I heard they should have a show update in a couple of weeks.:cool:Oh God.

ch2tdriver
2015-06-05, 05:37 PM
Oh God.I'll take the Bronx River Pkwy/Sprain Brook to the Tappan Zee. That GWB is always a disaster even without Christie!

fk6065
2015-06-05, 09:18 PM

I had very little hope we The City of NY was running this show .................now I have no hope ............

Gerard
2015-06-06, 08:49 AM
I'll take the Bronx River Pkwy/Sprain Brook to the Tappan Zee. That GWB is always a disaster even without Christie!

I used to continue on the Sprain then it turns into the Taconic State Parkway up to 84 West over the Newburgh-Beacon Bridge.

Chris S
2015-06-18, 02:11 AM
The New York Air Show's website is finally up and the Raptor and Super Hornet Demos are still listed,
but unfortunately the USMC Harrier Demo isn't listed on their performers page also :confused:

Here's the new link for the show's website:
http://airshowny.com/

ch2tdriver
2015-06-18, 03:50 PM
Without a Demo Team that lineup is pretty light. If the TAC demos run 10-15 minutes, how long do you figure the show will last? I'm hoping they fill it out a little bit more with civilian teams and some warbirds. I'm planning on attending regardless because of the Horsemen and if the C-5 Unit involved up there has connections and brings in the military statics. If anything like the old days we could see a B-52, B-1, KC-135 etc.....

Chris S
2015-06-18, 06:51 PM
Well, according to the show's FB page, they're waiting for the USMC to confirm the venue change before
they officially add the USMC Harrier Demo to their performers list, so that's promising news.:cool:
Right now with the present line-up the show will probably last only about 3 hours but hopefully they'll add
some flybys with the C-17 and KC-130 that are based up at Stewart and some Warbirds too if we're lucky :wink:

fk6065
2015-06-20, 08:36 PM
Seems to be a lot of $$$$$$$$ being thrown around. Parking, admission, photopit, VIP ..................

chrisparypa
2015-06-20, 10:12 PM
http://amusingthezillion.com/2015/06/02/new-york-air-show-planned-for-coney-island-moved-to-newburgh-ny/

Mateo
2015-06-20, 10:22 PM
Charging for admission (at a military base!) and charging for parking? No way in hell they're going to put on anything that's even close to being a $25 airshow.

Who owns this crap?

Gerard
2015-06-20, 10:51 PM
Charging for admission (at a military base!) and charging for parking? No way in hell they're going to put on anything that's even close to being a $25 airshow.
Who owns this crap?

I was thinking the same thing!! Plus for people coming from downstate its a hike!! And no Jet Team? Mmmmm......

chrisparypa
2015-06-21, 07:37 AM
This airshow is under the same promoter as OC Airshow, Melburne Airshow and used to be Coco beach airshow and for one year FT Lauderdale Airshow. Expect bunch of BS around, they will do and tell you everything just to sell tickets.... their airshows are very "commercial" you will have chance to see 3 hours of BS and one hour of flying...

moose135
2015-06-21, 08:47 AM
Stewart is not a military base, it is a civilian airport, operated by the Port Authority. The Air Force decommissioned it in the early 1970s, and while it houses a unit of the NY ANG, it is not a military field.

fk6065
2015-06-21, 11:39 AM
PANY/NJ involved so there is one reason for all the money being charged.

Speedbird1
2015-06-25, 11:33 AM
Sad to report the show has been canceled as I reported in another forum. No reason was given but probably the cost for permits, security, need for sponsorship, etc. It has now been 15 years since the last show in 2000. The show was moved up to Newburgh but I have no car. My consolation is that the US Open has free shows that weekend offering nice views of LGA departures. If lucky, you will see the Williams sisters practice, as I did, or others. Sorry to report about the show.

Speedbird1
2015-06-25, 01:41 PM
Yup, all us doubters about a show were right all along. Too much hassle to get NYC permits, insurance costs, lack of sponsors, inability to charge spectators at Coney, airspace over LGA, etc. It was a pipe dream. Doubt if they'll ever repeat air shows over Coney and we in Brooklyn have the Friday Fireworks, Hot Dog Eating Contest, the Mermaid Parade, Luna Park, etc as consolation.

ch2tdriver
2015-06-25, 04:14 PM
Well, technically the "New York Airshow" was moved. Should we rename the thread then? I'm actually kind of glad it moved to SWF. I had no plans to head over to Coney Island, let alone with a $1000+ camera. Its not Jones Beach with a custom made parkway to take you directly to a huge parking lot. With the show at SWF, we now have the hope that the NY Air Guard can pull out the stops and get some decent statics, let alone some military fly-bys. Just look what the RI Air Guard does for the Quonset Show.

Gerard
2015-06-25, 08:29 PM
I'm actually kind of glad it moved to SWF. I had no plans to head over to Coney Island, let alone with a $1000+ camera.

Been to CI a number of times the last few years attending Cyclones games!! Never had any issues with any of the locals or anyone for that matter and always had a great time!! And I came in from Long Island taking the LIRR to Penn then a choice of 4 different subway lines that leave you right there!! I would have been going if i didnt have a wedding that weekend in Philly!! But I wouldnt have been driving up to SWF even if they had a jet team anchoring the show!! Thunder Over The Boardwalk is a few days after this and lot more relaxing and fun to be at!!
Will be interesting how the show goes logistical wise (traffic, parking, facilities etc).. A lot of this will go towards getting it happen again next year but they should pick a different date, not so close to a bigger air show so they can get a jet team in!!

Chris S
2015-06-25, 11:14 PM
FYI- the Breitling Jet Team updated their 2015 schedule recently and unfortunately the AC Show is no longer listed.

http://www.breitling-jet-team.com/en/news-events/

fk6065
2015-07-02, 01:47 PM
I know you should never say never but You will probably never see an air show in NYC again.

ch2tdriver
2015-07-08, 08:04 PM
The NYAS FB page now has the USMC Harrier officially listed.

markg
2015-07-09, 02:32 PM
Oh God.

LOL Matthew!

I was just thinking the same thing!

No cameras allowed!

markg
2015-07-09, 03:14 PM
Don't think I'll bother! Not paying $30 for that!

Might just go sit at MGJ I'm sure everything will be seen from there even at a distance.

Gerard
2015-07-09, 06:52 PM
LOL Matthew!
I was just thinking the same thing!
No cameras allowed!

Where does it say "no cameras"?
Just looking at the parking area and if its a really nice day, I'm not sure they have enough spaces there!! And you cant bring in your own food/beverages!!

moose135
2015-07-09, 10:31 PM
Where does it say "no cameras"?
I think that was just a poke at Port Authority, and the way they discourage photography at their airports.

And you cant bring in your own food/beverages!!
Of course, they want you to spend money at the concession stands.

fk6065
2015-07-10, 09:48 AM
This show seems to be all about money.

ch2tdriver
2015-07-28, 04:21 PM
B-25 Panchito just added.

Chris S
2015-07-29, 11:19 AM
FYI- I just noticed the Horsemen have updated their 2015 show schedule and AC is on it too now :cool:
http://www.horsemenflight.com/

Chris S
2015-07-30, 03:52 PM
Update: The AC show posted on the Horsemen's website schedule was a mistake and is no longer listed now. Oh well !!

Chris S
2015-08-14, 09:21 PM
New York's 106th Rescue Wing CSAR Demo has been added to the performers list also:cool:

Landing Lights
2015-08-15, 02:58 PM
There is a drawing on the air show's Facebook page ( http://woobox.com/btzg4q/fpinti) for a free ride in Panchito at the Sunday show.

Chris S
2015-08-19, 12:53 PM
According the Show's website they're planning a special NYC flyover up the Hudson River next Thurs., 8/27 at 11AM ...
http://airshowny.com/air-force-heritage-flight/

"During transit from Langley Air Force Base to Stewart International Airport the F-22 Raptor and P-51 Mustang
will be joined by an F-16 from the Viper Demo Team. The three aircraft will make a single pass up the Hudson River
from South to North at approximately 11:00 am on Thursday, August 27th, passing over the Statue of Liberty and
by the World Trade Center."

fk6065
2015-08-20, 09:07 AM
Tentative flying schedule released

National Anthem Flag Jump by the West Point Parachute Team
Mike Wiskus in the Lucas Oil Pitts
L-39 Cold War Era Jet Demo
B-25 Mitchell “Panchito” WWII Bomber
USMC AV-8B Harrier Demo
Andrew Wright
ANG 106th Rescue Wing Combat Search and Rescue Demo
The Horsemen P-51 Flight Team
USN F-18 Super Hornet Demo
Mike Wiskus in the Lucas Oil Pitts
GEICO Skytypers
USAF F-22 Raptor Demo
USAF Heritage Flight

Chris S
2015-08-20, 09:49 AM
I'm sure there's going to be some long intermissions for departing commercial flights
during the show also because that line-up is only a about 3 hours worth of flying.
It's too bad they can't have the Super Hornet Demo do double duty especially since
they usually bring 2 qualified Super Hornet Demo pilots to each show anyway ! :wink:

Landing Lights
2015-08-20, 05:12 PM
I guess that means the USN Leapfrogs have been scratched. Totally understandable considering what happened last weekend.

ch2tdriver
2015-08-26, 03:47 PM
I just noticed that the site schedule shows that "The Horsemen" 3 ship P-51 Mustang team was dropped?! They now list a single P-51 Demo. I think now I may reconsider going. Because of the cost and light show itinerary it doesn't appear worth it. Hopefully next year Jones Beach will get a Raptor and Super Bug. I just saw a Harrier at Geneseo.

fk6065
2015-08-27, 06:00 PM
Flying schedule released

Wednesday, September 2, 2015 – 11:30 AM:

11:35 AM – Airshow Tow Banner Flybys
11:37 AM – Jim Beasley III – L4 Flyby
11:40 AM – Jim Beasley Jr. – SNJ Texan Aerobatics
11:50 AM – US Army Golden Knights (http://www.goarmy.com/events/golden-knights.html) – Flag Jump w/National Anthem
11:58 AM – US Army Golden Knights (http://www.goarmy.com/events/golden-knights.html) – Mass Exit Show
12:06 PM – Andrew Wright (http://www.carbonfiberairshows.com/) – Giles 202 Aerobatics
12:21 PM – Jack Kelly – Bell 47D1 Helicopter Flybys
12:22 PM – AtlantiCare (http://www.atlanticare.org/) – Medical Helicopter Flybys
12:23 PM – MidAtlantic – MedEvac Helicopter Flybys
12:26 PM – Chopper 6 (WPVI – Channel 6 ABC) (http://6abc.com/)
12:28 PM – NJ Army National Guard (http://www.177fw.ang.af.mil/) – UH-60 Flyby & Combat Insertion Demonstration
12:39 PM – Raiders Aerobatic Demonstration Team (http://raidersflightdemoteam.com/)
12:54 PM – Jim Beasley – P-51D Mustang Demonstration
1:02 PM – US Air Force (http://www.acc.af.mil/aerialevents/f22a/) – F-22 Raptor Demonstration
1:17 PM – US Air Force (http://www.acc.af.mil/aerialevents/index.asp) – Heritage Flight (F-22 & P-51)
1:27 PM – GEICO Skytypers (http://www.geicoskytypers.com/)
1:42 PM – GEICO Skytypers (http://www.geicoskytypers.com/) vs. Miss GEICO Speedboat Race (http://www.missgeicoracing.com/)
1:47 PM – Mike Wiskus – LUCAS Oil Pitts Aerobatics & Skydivers
2:06 PM – Andrew Wright (http://www.carbonfiberairshows.com/) – Giles 202 World Record Attempt – Inverted Flat Spins
2:16 PM – US Coast Guard Search & Rescue Demonstration (http://www.gocoastguard.com/)
2:31 PM – US Army Golden Knights (http://www.goarmy.com/events/golden-knights.html) – Mass Exit Show
3:00 PM – US Navy Blue Angels (http://www.blueangels.navy.mil/) – C-130T Hercules
3:10 PM – US Navy Blue Angels (http://www.blueangels.navy.mil/)

Landing Lights
2015-08-27, 06:10 PM
I just noticed that the site schedule shows that "The Horsemen" 3 ship P-51 Mustang team was dropped?!

While I didn't hear anything official today, rumor has it that there is a health issue involving one of the pilots.

The other news that was shared with us today is that this will be an annual show. They're already planning for next year, and will be at ICAS this winter to try to secure a jet team.

Chris S
2015-08-27, 07:13 PM
While I didn't hear anything official today, rumor has it that there is a health issue involving one of the pilots.

The other news that was shared with us today is that this will be an annual show. They're already planning for next year, and will be at ICAS this winter to try to secure a jet team.

Well, the Blue Angels were already scheduled to be at Coney Island August 20 -21st next year,
so as long as Stewart keeps the same date I would think they should be able to get the Blue Angels.

Gerard
2015-08-27, 10:39 PM
http://abc7ny.com/society/stunning-video-f-22-raptor-and-f-16-viper-perform-flyover-nyc/959774/

Innes
2015-08-28, 03:07 PM
Anybody at Stewart airport can you confirm if a plane went down. Seen something on FB chatter

Innes
2015-08-28, 03:25 PM
IMed a friend he said something about it is a small prop stunt plane and the tail wing came off and the plane did crash it is on local news. I'm unable to put up link. http://nycaviation.com/forum/[email protected]

Gerard
2015-08-28, 03:50 PM
Anybody at Stewart airport can you confirm if a plane went down. Seen something on FB chatter

ABC NY confirming plane crashed, pilot killed. Practice cancelled but they are planning to have the show go on tomorrow and Sunday

ch2tdriver
2015-08-28, 04:46 PM
http://abc7ny.com/news/plane-practicing-for-ny-air-show-crashes-killing-pilot/960733/ Photos show structural failure. They report that the plane came down in the trees behind the crowd line.

fk6065
2015-08-28, 08:25 PM
http://www.cbs6albany.com/news/features/top-story/stories/army-officials-ask-ny-public-help-finding-lost-missile-28404.shtml?wap=0

Landing Lights
2015-08-28, 09:00 PM
Those photos showing structural failure are mine. I was there yesterday and today covering the process of putting the show together for a future article here. I don't have time to write much right now, but suffice to say it was a stunning experience top watch firsthand.

Landing Lights
2015-08-28, 10:01 PM
http://www.cbs6albany.com/news/features/top-story/stories/army-officials-ask-ny-public-help-finding-lost-missile-28404.shtml?wap=0

Well that explains why they initially forbid us from taking photos of one side of the Apache when they brought us over to it just after arrival.

fk6065
2015-08-29, 10:39 AM
Reports are traffic is backed up from the entrance of the airport all the way up 787 to Route 84.

fk6065
2015-08-29, 12:22 PM
As anticipated they are pausing the show for commercial arrives at the airport

Innes
2015-08-29, 02:54 PM
Anybody do preferred parking if so do they let you go back and forth to your car.

fk6065
2015-08-29, 06:40 PM
Anybody do preferred parking if so do they let you go back and forth to your car.

I didn't do preferred parking, I did prepaid general parking. And while it took a lot longer to get in than the preferred parkers leaving was easy and fast as we drove by the preferred lot that was backed up.

Also once your through the gates your in, there is no re admission including preferred parking.

You go through a long wait at security and then another wait at the next entrance where they scan your ticket.

No no food or water of any kind allowed.

Be be prepared for extremely long wait lines, 30 to 60 minutes at least to get food & water.

Also so you can only get food on the food line.

And you you can only get drinks on the drink line.

rmssch89
2015-08-29, 08:03 PM
A few people mentioned to me that they began allowing in sealed water bottles at some point, so anyone going tomorrow can take the chance if they want. I also agree that the food and drink situation could have been managed better. Also, the photo pit was kind of useless. There were plenty of places along the general admission fence with shots that were just as good. It was nice though not needing to get there early and to have a spot to go back to after taking food breaks and such. Given the circumstances of the Horsemen not performing and the unfortunate death on Friday the show was understandably a bit short, but it was still really fun. I'm really interested to see what they can bring in next year.

fk6065
2015-08-29, 09:04 PM
Anyone going tomorrow you will want to bring a 500mm for the reach for some of the performers. 400mm on my D3 didn't cut it on some acts. Lighting isn't bad at all.

As for the flying portion of the show the performers were great, but some, like the L-39, and the SAR demo from the 106th were out just a little to far. There were a few long pauses, about 20 minutes for commercial flights, runway sweep, and just down time because they didn't have enough performers to fill the schedule. But overall the three main performers did not disappoint.

What was really annoying was the amount of airport vehicles riding back and forth on the fence line all day long.

Sequence of flight today was;

- West Point flag jump
- Lucas Oil teaser
- L-39
- B-25
- Harrier
- 106th NYANG Pavehawk SAR Demo
- Geico Skytypers
- Lucas Oil full demo
- SuperHornet
- West Point mass jump
- Raptor
- USAF Heritage flight F-22 & P-51

I think the show has a lot of potential but really needs to be run much better from a logistics stand point.

Innes
2015-08-29, 09:35 PM
this food line situation is real bothersome bringing wife and 3 kids from long island trying to make a family day. my wife prepaid for the preferred parking hoping we would have a cooler option at the car for her and my 2 daughters. 30-60 mins for a bottle of water for me and my son to miss the show not to dehydrate is even crazy. what are they thinking

fk6065
2015-08-29, 10:39 PM
Aside from the logistics on the organizers part, lets get to some flying

https://fredkopf.smugmug.com/photos/i-GGhSZst/0/M/i-GGhSZst-M.jpg

https://fredkopf.smugmug.com/photos/i-MrFzZ4D/0/M/i-MrFzZ4D-M.jpg

https://fredkopf.smugmug.com/photos/i-z6ZPTXM/0/M/i-z6ZPTXM-M.jpg

https://fredkopf.smugmug.com/photos/i-NdHDJ3F/0/M/i-NdHDJ3F-M.jpg

https://fredkopf.smugmug.com/photos/i-4Rzhp99/0/M/i-4Rzhp99-M.jpg

https://fredkopf.smugmug.com/photos/i-r7g2sZF/0/M/i-r7g2sZF-M.jpg

https://fredkopf.smugmug.com/photos/i-5DC76gG/0/M/i-5DC76gG-M.jpg

https://fredkopf.smugmug.com/photos/i-dXwqFQs/0/M/i-dXwqFQs-M.jpg

https://fredkopf.smugmug.com/photos/i-7cKKqLP/0/M/i-7cKKqLP-M.jpg

https://fredkopf.smugmug.com/photos/i-R6nLRFd/0/M/i-R6nLRFd-M.jpg

Innes
2015-08-30, 09:07 AM
Real Nice pics

Gerard
2015-08-30, 02:40 PM
this food line situation is real bothersome bringing wife and 3 kids from long island trying to make a family day. my wife prepaid for the preferred parking hoping we would have a cooler option at the car for her and my 2 daughters. 30-60 mins for a bottle of water for me and my son to miss the show not to dehydrate is even crazy. what are they thinking

They are thinking about making $$$$$$. I believe in retrospect after this is all over they will get together, have meetings and debrief and figure out how to make it better and more comfortable for the crowds for next year!! Not sure who the promoter is but this is a first for this location in a long time so naturally bugs need to be worked out!! But if they do this again next year and they get a aerobatic team like the Angels they can sure anticipate even larger crowds!!

ANITIX87
2015-08-31, 09:37 AM
Overall, a good show on Sunday. The clouds were slightly problematic, but I'm glad I paid for the Photo Pit tickets. Impressive demo by the F-22 and F-18. I can't believe how loud that Harrier is!

I didn't eat or drink anything (brought my own water) so I can't comment on the lines, but security was easy and getting to the show wasn't a problem at all. None of the roads were backed up anywhere, and I arrived around 11:15.

However, leaving the show was a complete and utter disaster. I left immediately following the F-22 demo to try and beat the bulk crowd. I beat many people and was at my car (in preferred parking) at 3:20. I got back onto International, the road leaving SWF, at 5:05PM. I waited almost two hours in basically stand-still traffic, to the point where people were standing outside their cars or urinating on the taxiway and perimeter road because they'd been there so long. This really, really needs to be addressed for next year - my friend who was NOT in preferred parking said it took him about 20 minutes to leave the airport. The perimeter road has another exit on Rt 747 to the West of the airport, and I don't understand why they didn't open this up for those leaving. What a mess.

Landing Lights
2015-08-31, 10:22 AM
I'm shocked you had such an issue, Antonis. I stuck around until just after 4 and got right out from the media lot, which was a bit closer to the exit from the preferred and VIP lots. A better alternative exit would be to bring traffic from those lots out by the cargo ramp. That road leads to an entirely separate onramp to I-84 and doesn't include the steep hill and tight turns of the runway end road. Here's a map of what I'm thinking. (https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zNnL5gn4GAos.kLOw8bID3gKg&usp=sharing)

The issues I had leaving were the massive number of people trying to get over the Newburgh-Beacon Bridge and the backup caused by the toll plaza. It was bumper to bumper traffic from about half a mile after I got onto 84. I ended up taking back roads through Newburgh to avoid the traffic. Not much the show organizers can do about that though.

ANITIX87
2015-08-31, 01:04 PM
Once I got out of the airport, I made a left on 747 and drove south on 208 -> Rt 6 -> Rt 17 -> I-87. Saved me quite a lot of time avoiding I-84 and I-287.

But yeah, getting out of SWF was a complete nightmare.

TriStatePlaneSpotting
2015-08-31, 10:20 PM
How is the Pier? It's free for practice day, but I want to go in the water so badly. Which one is better?

Gerard
2015-08-31, 10:44 PM
How is the Pier? It's free for practice day, but I want to go in the water so badly. Which one is better?

I tried the end of the pier last year for the TBirds and the only reason it wasnt crowded was because it started to rain!! The TBirds only flew for a little bit before calling it a day!! But Id rather be on the beach out in the open with the sun shining on me!!:cool: For me you get better visuals especially with the Angels who zoom all about!! I'll be on the north side of the Pier a ways down!! Thats where I 've been the last few years and really enjoy it AND I get to dip my foots in the water LOL!! BTW I heard the Pier is under new Mgt so its possible it won't be free tomorrow!! Some people have been speculating on FB but nothing definite yet!!

fk6065
2015-08-31, 11:41 PM
Updated flying schedule

11:50 AM – Airshow Tow Banner Flybys
11:55 AM – Jim Beasley III – J3 Cub Flyby
12:05 PM – LUCAS Oil Skydivers Flag Jump with National Anthem by Lee Greenwood
12:10 PM – Mike Wiskus – LUCAS Oil Pitts Aerobatic Teaser
12:17 PM – GEICO Skytypers – Tribute Pass
12:21 PM – Jim Beasley Jr. – SNJ Texan Aerobatics
12:31 PM – Jack Kelly – Bell 47D1 Helicopter Flybys
12:33 PM – AtlantiCare – Medical Helicopter Flybys
12:35 PM – MidAtlantic – MedEvac Helicopter Flybys
12:37 PM – Chopper 6 (WPVI – Channel 6 ABC)
12:39 PM – New Jersey State Police Aviation Unit
12:41 PM – Raiders Aerobatic Demonstration Team
12:57 PM – Jim Beasley – P-51D Mustang Demonstration
1:07 PM – US Air Force – F-22 Raptor Demonstration
1:21 PM – US Air Force – Heritage Flight (F-22 & P-51)
1:31 PM – GEICO Skytypers
1:46 PM – GEICO Skytypers vs. Miss GEICO Speedboat Race
1:53 PM – Matt Chapman Embry Riddle CAP580 Aerobatics
2:08 PM – US Coast Guard Search & Rescue Demonstration
2:23 PM – Mike Wiskus – LUCAS Oil Pitts Aerobatics & Skydivers
2:45 PM – US Navy Blue Angels – C-130T Hercules
3:00 PM – US Navy Blue Angels

Gerard
2015-09-01, 06:33 PM
We're there 2 Raptors flying today? Was coming down the AC Expressway and saw two jets flying!! Angels came on exactly at 3 but you could tell this was pretty much a practice for them but still enjoyed it!! It was pretty hazy out there and with the use of smoke and pretty much no wind the smoke hung around sometimes obscuring the aircraft!! Thought it was over but Fat Albert came in and did a number of nice climbing and high speed flybys!! That was cool!!
It will be hot again tomorrow so dress accordingly and have water and sunscreen!!

Chris S
2015-09-01, 10:40 PM
FYI - This is what flew during the practice show today over the beach and approximate times:

11:25 - P-51 Demo
11:35 - F-22 Raptor Demo (1 - ship)
11:50 - P-51 & F-22 Heritage Flight
12:10 - Blue Angels Diamond ( Circles & Arrival)
1:00 - Blue Angels ( 6 -ship) and Geico Skytypers together for a Air to Air photo op further south of show center
1:15 - Blue Solos ( Circles & Arrivals )
2:00 - Raiders Demo
2:20 - GEICO Skytypers Demo
2:40 - Lucas Oil Jumpers circled by Mike Wiskus and then he practiced his full aerobatic demo also
3:00 - Blue Angels ( 6-ship) Practice Demo
3:40 - Blue Angels C-130 Fat Albert Demo

Gerard
2015-09-01, 10:53 PM
Thanks Chris!! Got to the beach right before the Raiders started their demo!! Gotta say the Angels flew pretty low around the buildings!! Haha I wasn't complaining!!
BTW tons of vapor today with the Angels!! Even Fat Albert pulled vapor lol

Gerard
2015-09-02, 10:12 AM
Curious, I wonder if anyone walked over to the show? There are a number of hotels in walking distance and that would have been a great option!! Save $$$ on parking also!!

Landing Lights
2015-09-02, 04:11 PM
A few of my favorites from Sunday:
http://www.nycaviation.com/newspage/wp-content/gallery/new-york-air-show-2015/img_7367.jpg
http://www.nycaviation.com/newspage/wp-content/gallery/new-york-air-show-2015/img_7643.jpg
http://www.nycaviation.com/newspage/wp-content/gallery/new-york-air-show-2015/img_7771.jpg
http://www.nycaviation.com/newspage/wp-content/gallery/new-york-air-show-2015/img_7853.jpg
http://www.nycaviation.com/newspage/wp-content/gallery/new-york-air-show-2015/img_7981.jpg
http://www.nycaviation.com/newspage/wp-content/gallery/new-york-air-show-2015/img_8048.jpg
http://www.nycaviation.com/newspage/wp-content/gallery/new-york-air-show-2015/img_8240.jpg
http://www.nycaviation.com/newspage/wp-content/gallery/new-york-air-show-2015/img_7314.jpg

See the rest of my shots here (http://www.nycaviation.com/2015/09/photos-inaugural-new-york-air-show-soars-hudson-valley/).

fk6065
2015-09-02, 09:48 PM
Real Nice pics

Thank you very much.

fk6065
2015-09-02, 10:01 PM
Good show as always, kept right on time with the schedule they posted.

No surprise aircraft as hinted at.

USCG Demo only brought in two ships and they went way to the right of show center.

Lighting was absolutely horrible, beyond description. Between the haze, the smoke, humidity and lack of a strong breeze it was brutal. Be lucky to find 10 keepers. Put the camera away for most of the show and just watched and enjoyed it.

Fat Albert crew tore the beach up.....................

Crowded but not the sea of humanity like other years. Got there at 11:45am, parked, was on the beach at noon, and from the time I got back to the car till I was out of the city was under 10 minutes.

Gerard
2015-09-03, 04:38 PM
Good show as always, kept right on time with the schedule they posted.
No surprise aircraft as hinted at.
USCG Demo only brought in two ships and they went way to the right of show center.
Lighting was absolutely horrible, beyond description. Between the haze, the smoke, humidity and lack of a strong breeze it was brutal. Be lucky to find 10 keepers. Put the camera away for most of the show and just watched and enjoyed it.
Fat Albert crew tore the beach up.....................
Crowded but not the sea of humanity like other years. Got there at 11:45am, parked, was on the beach at noon, and from the time I got back to the car till I was out of the city was under 10 minutes.

Pretty much on point with everything you wrote!! The Angels were magnificent and from where I was standing, to north of the Pier just about in the middle on the shoreline the Angels flew over my head a number of times heading back over the city and somewhat low!! Have to say that was quite cool!! And yeah Fat Albert was amazing!! They hinted at it during the practice run but yesterday was wild! That one flyby when they came from the back and fast it looked like they flew between two hotels!!! And it was so hot they even pulled vapor! LOL!!
Enjoyed the Raptor!! Boy it could be incredibly LOUD and quiet!! Very enjoyable along with their Heritage Flight!!
For the USCG they always bring in two Dolphins but they would do the SAR demo closer to the Pier!! From my vantage point if I didnt have binoculars I wouldnt have seen much and I thought they would come around for a FlyBy after but they just headed out to sea!!
Yes it was HOT!!! Knowing the schedule I left the beach during two of the acts and found shade behind the Boardwalk in a park by Ballys!! I have my Canon PowerShot which gets me what I want but found it very hard to shoot with yesterday so didnt use that much!! Actually got better pics with my iPhone 6 and took a bunch of video with it!!
I stayed at Ballys in the Tower and had a great view of the beach and city to the north and there were lots of parking available even from the time I headed down at 11:50 and the Boardwalk didnt seem as crowded in the past!! I guess the later date and school open impacted the attendance! And too bad there was no live music!! Last year they had concerts on the beach by the Pier!! Charlie Daniels Monday, Tues cancelled due to rain and Wed right after the show Felix Cavaliere and the Rascals which was fantastic!
Good way to end the summer!!

Gerard
2015-09-03, 05:44 PM
Fat Albert during Thunder Practice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geFu0EOCYx4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGNdjjEDt38

Gerard
2015-09-05, 09:46 AM
Am I the only one seeing the NYC air show threads mixed in this AC thread?

Chris S
2015-09-05, 01:36 PM
Am I the only one seeing the NYC air show threads mixed in this AC thread?

Yeah, I see the two Air Show threads were merged together for some reason:confused:

fk6065
2015-09-06, 12:12 PM
I think they were trying to merge the "Coney Island" thread with the newly started "NY Air Show" Thread and misfired .......................