PDA

View Full Version : Saw "Smiley Jack" over Unisphere on 50th Anniversary

Speedbird1
2014-04-24, 09:03 AM
Anybody else venture-out on Tues. to celebrate the 50th Anniversary of the 1964-65 NY World's Fair? The lines to enter the endangered NYS Pavilion were blocks long so I did LGA departure spotting. I was thrilled to see old friend "Smiley Jack", N742PS, still in PSA livery, fly over the Unisphere around 1030 enroute to CLT. A side-note, looks like the Pavilion will be spared unlike Pan Ams' T3 at JFK.

megatop412
2014-04-24, 06:51 PM
Anybody else venture-out on Tues. to celebrate the 50th Anniversary of the 1964-65 NY World's Fair? The lines to enter the endangered NYS Pavilion were blocks long so I did LGA departure spotting. I was thrilled to see old friend "Smiley Jack", N742PS, still in PSA livery, fly over the Unisphere around 1030 enroute to CLT. A side-note, looks like the Pavilion will be spared unlike Pan Ams' T3 at JFK.

What I want to know is, when are they going to rehab those huge rotating towers. It would be a shame for them to not be used anymore.

moose135
2014-04-24, 11:28 PM
What I want to know is, when are they going to rehab those huge rotating towers. It would be a shame for them to not be used anymore.
Better break out your checkbook...

http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20140422/corona/new-york-state-pavilion-named-national-treasure-by-restoration-group

The Parks Department had estimated in recent studies that it could cost $52 million to fully restore the pavilion and $43 million to restore it without public access.