PDA

View Full Version : President in Friday?

Gerard
2013-10-21, 07:28 PM
Hearing that the President is coming in to NYC Friday for a fundraising event!!
Any info on ETA would be appreciated!! Hoping for a 5-ish arrival so I could scoot down from work (leave early) to Wall Street and get a gander (and some pics) of the Nighthawk V-22s.
With Daylight Savings Time in effect Sunday morning it would be my last chance for awhile to see these babys before the early darkness settles in for the winter!!
Thanks.

moose135
2013-10-21, 08:40 PM
No TFR yet - you can see the list here: http://tfr.faa.gov/tfr2/list.html

It does look like the Vice President will be in Boston on Wednesday...
http://tfr.faa.gov/save_pages/detail_3_9385.html

BTW, Daylight Saving Time ends Sunday, November 3.

Gerard
2013-10-21, 09:59 PM
BTW, Daylight Saving Time ends Sunday, November 3.

Thats what I get for listening to my brother after he drank a growler of Pumpkin Ale!! :rolleyes:
Thanks!!

Mateo
2013-10-22, 12:04 AM
Yes, the President will be in on Friday for a fundraiser. He'll also be visiting a high school in Brooklyn.

fk6065
2013-10-22, 03:30 PM
TFR posted http://tfr.faa.gov/save_pages/detail_3_9711.html

Gerard
2013-10-22, 09:37 PM
TFR posted http://tfr.faa.gov/save_pages/detail_3_9711.html

Thanks guys!! As soon as I saw he would be visiting the school in Brooklyn I knew he'd be coming in early. Wonder if he's going by land from JFK to the school, or fly to Wall Street then drive to school or an off site
LZ by the school?

Mateo
2013-10-22, 10:16 PM
There was a practice landing by the ballfields in Prospect Park this afternoon, so there's your Brooklyn answer.

I also saw 3 CH-46s (they're not gone yet!) fly down the East River around 1:30, but unless they did the landing staging during the 3 minutes I was inside buying lunch, they didn't do a practice at Wall Street.

Gerard
2013-10-23, 08:07 AM
There was a practice landing by the ballfields in Prospect Park this afternoon, so there's your Brooklyn answer.
I also saw 3 CH-46s (they're not gone yet!) fly down the East River around 1:30, but unless they did the landing staging during the 3 minutes I was inside buying lunch, they didn't do a practice at Wall Street.

Very cool!! Thanks!! Now watching the landings in Prospect Park would be so nice no matter what the Nighthawks were flying!! Many (many) years ago (early 90s) I was at Miller Field in Staten Island when Daddy Bush flew
in for a rare visit!! They were using the Sea Knights back then also!!

Gerard
2013-10-24, 06:31 AM

On 10/10 WINS this morning a report that the WHOLE of Prospect Park will be closed for 6 hours FRiday!! Not sitting well with the residents of the area!!

Mateo
2013-10-24, 04:49 PM
On 10/10 WINS this morning a report that the WHOLE of Prospect Park will be closed for 6 hours FRiday!! Not sitting well with the residents of the area!!Annoying, but it's much easier to close a small number of entrances than try to set up an amorphous perimeter around a certain area of the park. I still haven't been able to find out if there's going to be a second landing at Wall Street. If it's late in the afternoon, might get some good side light as they touch down.

Gerard
2013-10-24, 06:43 PM
Annoying, but it's much easier to close a small number of entrances than try to set up an amorphous perimeter around a certain area of the park. I still haven't been able to find out if there's going to be a second landing at Wall Street. If it's late in the afternoon, might get some good side light as they touch down.

If they are closing the park for that amount of time I would think its because the copters will still be sitting there?
BTW when they did the practice run on Tuesday who secured the field? PD/ESU? USSS? I mean they just didnt drop down then leave. Or did they?

emshighway
2013-10-24, 07:59 PM
Yes, the President will be in on Friday for a fundraiser. He'll also be visiting a high school in Brooklyn.

He is correct POTUS on deck.

Gerard
2013-10-25, 06:26 AM
Annoying, but it's much easier to close a small number of entrances than try to set up an amorphous perimeter around a certain area of the park. I still haven't been able to find out if there's going to be a second landing at Wall Street. If it's late in the afternoon, might get some good side light as they touch down.

Looks like they relented and only certain parts of the park, I would guess closest to the ballfield, will be closed off.
And I've been seeing sunset around 6PM lately so not sure how much light would be available though I'm guessing he wont spend that much time at the HS.
Happy hunting!!

Vinny Ohare
2013-10-25, 12:03 PM
Any idea what time frame he is coming in?

Jared Blech
2013-10-25, 12:19 PM
I wanna run to the field to catch her departure anybody know which
Runway they normally use... And the departure time?

Ari707
2013-10-25, 01:54 PM
President's daily schedule http://www.whitehouse.gov/schedule shows he is scheduled to land at 2:30 at JFK

Gerard
2013-10-25, 10:20 PM
I wanna run to the field to catch her departure anybody know which
Runway they normally use... And the departure time?

I would think late!! After 10 closer to 11?

PhilDernerJr
2013-10-26, 08:15 AM
Last night I heard the whole Marine fleet fly over my house in Astoria low as fuh. The sound was more intense and even sounded as though they were taking their time.

Gerard
2013-10-26, 09:58 AM
Last night I heard the whole Marine fleet fly over my house in Astoria low as fuh. The sound was more intense and even sounded as though they were taking their time.

Interesting!! Wonder what they were doing so far North? Maybe they used Randalls Island for his departing LZ?

PhilDernerJr
2013-10-26, 12:08 PM
They do use Randall's Island a bit, yeah. They pass overhead less than 500ft above my place.

Gerard
2013-10-26, 12:27 PM
They do use Randall's Island a bit, yeah. They pass overhead less than 500ft above my place.

That Big Metal must have rocked the whole neighborhood at that altitude!!

PhilDernerJr
2013-10-26, 05:14 PM
It really did. Other neighbors came out to see what was causing it.

Gerard
2013-10-26, 05:50 PM
It really did. Other neighbors came out to see what was causing it.

Should have told them you just heard Obama declared martial Law and the helicopters were landing in Astoria Park!!! I bet it would have been easy to pick out the Tea Party people in the crowd!!! :biggrin::cool::biggrin:

Gerard
2013-10-27, 11:44 AM

Saw a short video from Prospect Park and they were using the Sea Knights again for Nighthawk support!! Those tandem rotor copters are truly LOUD adding to the intensity if flying low!!

Mateo
2013-10-27, 09:15 PM
Wonder if the Ospreys are only being used for hard LZs, especially after what one did to Eisenhower Park during Fleet Week!

Gerard
2013-10-27, 10:00 PM
Wonder if the Ospreys are only being used for hard LZs, especially after what one did to Eisenhower Park during Fleet Week!

Could be and I believe it was Staten Island or Flushing Meadow where they had the brownout/rotorwash issue!! I was at Eisenhower both years the V-22s were there and there were no problems!!

Speedbird1
2013-10-28, 05:30 AM
I saw and heard an Osprey and 2 choppers overhead while sunbathing at Coney beach last week a few days before the Presidential visit. They were heading over the Brooklyn coast from JFK towards either Prospect Pk. or Wall St. Heliport. They never returned so maybe they landed in Brooklyn. I waited 3 hours but saw nothing. A seagull tried to steal my lunch to boot.

Mateo
2013-10-28, 06:07 PM
Could be and I believe it was Staten Island or Flushing Meadow where they had the brownout/rotorwash issue!! I was at Eisenhower both years the V-22s were there and there were no problems!!Ah, whoops, I thought Eisenhower was the one on Staten Island. Staten Island was supposedly the one with major turf damage. Before anyone asks, on the Washington side of the trip, it's only the VH-3 that lands on the South Lawn. Passengers who are on the -46s (mostly press and junior WH staff) at the visit site go by road back from Andrews.

Gerard
2013-10-28, 07:17 PM
A seagull tried to steal my lunch to boot.

The seagull was spotting also!!
Spotting your lunch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek::biggrin:
Sorry Speed couldnt resist!!!!!!!!!!