PDA

View Full Version : Hockey is back!!

captmjk16
2013-10-02, 11:33 PM
Well the first two days of the NHL season haven't disappointed despite some of the dumbest new rules in the history of the game. Fighting is up (so far) and the games I've seen have been pretty exciting! I just hope this dumb helmet rule goes away sooner rather than later so things can get back to the way they should be.

The Wings looked pretty strong against the Sabres, but that's not saying much... Should be interesting with the Winged Wheel heading up and down the east coast a lot more than in the past.

While it might not be as popular around here, GO WINGS! (And screw the Pens and Hawks... seriously)

wunaladreamin
2013-10-03, 06:45 AM
Cancel the season the Caps will win it all. LETS GO CAPS!!!

lijk604
2013-10-03, 08:47 AM
It will be interesting to see how Detroit "screws" the Eastern conference. A decent team who probably could have made it this year to the playoffs will most likely not now due to their move. You hear me Columbus?

My predictions:
Atlantic top 4 (in no particular order) - Boston, Detroit, Montreal, Toronto

Metropolitan top 4 (in no particular order) - Pittsburgh, New Jersey, New York, Washington

Central top 4 (in no particular order) - Chicago, Nashville, Dallas, Minnesota

Pacific top 4 (in no particular order) - LA, Vancouver, San Jose, Edmonton

Ok, hockey fans, what say you???

captmjk16
2013-10-03, 11:12 AM
It's good to see Patty Roy out of the mental institution that is junior hockey where he was being held. I can't help but picture him and Babcock getting into a fight on the bench if the Wings and Avs were to play more than twice this year. I wonder if everyone's favorite farce of a rules committee will make him wear a helmet on the bench just in case he gets angry and falls off to prevent concussions... On the plus side, hybrid icing should keep players safer in a sane way, it's too bad there isn't enough respect left in the game across the board that it became necessary to implement it though.

I am not convinced the Devils will be in the top four, they've got a bit of rebuilding to do, but it's possible of they come together. I just hope the level of aggression I've seen so far stays up all year.

wunaladreamin
2013-10-03, 04:22 PM
I agree with Mark. NJ's time has passed man. I'd say the Islanders will take Jerseys place in the top 4. They have a very solid core. If Nabokov stays strong they'll go far.

Gerard
2013-10-03, 07:01 PM
Cancel the season the Caps will win it all. LETS GO CAPS!!!

Had to check the date on this post!! Looked like the same one from previous years!! :biggrin:

wunaladreamin
2013-10-03, 07:35 PM
Lol the dedication to our losing cause will never wane!

captmjk16
2013-10-03, 11:49 PM
Just take comfort in the fact that you're not a Lions fan Kenny lol

Gerard
2014-02-15, 01:20 PM
OSHIE IN SOCHI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What an amazing game!! What a fantastic ending!! Wow!!!!
USA USA USA!!!! :cool::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::cool:
Yeah only a Prelim game but ANYTIME you can beat Russia IN Russia in the Olympics and while Putin is watching, ahhhh you gotta love it!!
https://vine.co/v/M7j9a7PtvY1

Gintaras B.
2014-02-15, 04:56 PM
I'm rooting for Russia, mainly because of all the dirt spewing on Russia by NBC and others...
I'm glad, not all are the same - photos of Sochi 2014 by an american tourist:

http://imgur.com/a/e6hHh

Gerard
2014-02-16, 03:34 PM
Russia goes to 2nd shootout today to beat Slovakia 1-0. They have elimiunation game vs Norway Tues.
US beats Slovenia 5-1 Natural Hat Trick by Phil Kessel, "Backup" goalie Ryan Miller has shutout until :17.6 seconds left.
Top Seeds are #1 Sweden, #2 USA, #3 Canada and #4 Finland.
USA will play winner of the Czech-Slovakia (Game Tues) on Wed.

Gintaras B.
2014-02-16, 04:49 PM
I need to get Roku 3 box and to get channels that I could watch KHL Hockey. I've heard that KHL becoming better and better hockey league - more finesse hockey vs. NHL - grit/power hockey.

As for Olympics hockey, not much is on NBC, maybe will be shown more when play-offs start.
I don't think, Sweden, Finland could go far, Czech, Canada, Russia, US could go to finals.

NIKV69
2014-02-16, 05:28 PM
Canada is so #NASHTY

Gerard
2014-02-16, 06:20 PM
Gintaras all the games so far are on NBCSports, CNBC and USA Network. NBC will do the Gold Medal game and maybe? the semis on Friday!! I've been fortunate to see the games last Thursday, Sat and this morning!! Interesting I DVR'd the USA-Russia game and a little voice told me to record another hour. Thank you voice!!
Dont count out Finland and definitely not Sweden. Both have world class goalies (Rask & Lundqvist) that can steal games!! Rask almost did that vs Canada today!!

Gerard
2014-02-16, 06:21 PM
Canada is so #NASHTY

On the same line with Tavares today!! Still, the D men have more goals than the O men!!:tongue:

PhilDernerJr
2014-02-16, 07:34 PM
I've heard that KHL becoming better and better hockey league - more finesse hockey vs. NHL - grit/power hockey.

That's exactly why Olympic hockey is annoying to me, and while I prefer the NHL over other forms. I hate how it's becoming so "weak."

Gintaras B.
2014-02-16, 07:39 PM
Gintaras all the games so far are on NBCSports, CNBC and USA Network. NBC will do the Gold Medal game and maybe? the semis on Friday!! I've been fortunate to see the games last Thursday, Sat and this morning!! Interesting I DVR'd the USA-Russia game and a little voice told me to record another hour. Thank you voice!!
Dont count out Finland and definitely not Sweden. Both have world class goalies (Rask & Lundqvist) that can steal games!! Rask almost did that vs Canada today!!

Besides goalies, there are 5 players...I'm very against defensive hockey...that NJ Devils used to play for years - it wasn't entertaining...
I did watch some of US-Russia on the net. I don't have cable TV - cable - just for iNet...I've bought an antenna to watch Olympics and only I have - NBC.

I'd like Russia to win, but they might have a problem because they have too many stars on...Dunno much about others...
And I'm about attacking, finesse hockey rather defensive, grit/power hockey...
I do like to see nice passes, speed rather than hits - it should be left for boxing...

Many people consider W.Gretzky - the great one...not me. For me - Mark Messier is The Greatest One...W.Gretzky had good numbers while he played with a bunch of great passers - Y.Kurri, Tikannen...Gretzky wasn't able to win another cup after Oilers. M.Messier did. And Mark did that, and he did, that prolly no one else did - he promised to win a game a night before the game - vs. NJ Devils, 1994 and he did almost by himself...Prolly one of greatest matches of hockey I've ever seen...

http://youtu.be/51eHVcnGe0o

Gerard
2014-02-16, 09:25 PM
That's exactly why Olympic hockey is annoying to me, and while I prefer the NHL over other forms. I hate how it's becoming so "weak."

Olympic hockey "Annoying"? Dont get that!! Finding all the games quite exciting!!
And "weak?" How so?

Gerard
2014-02-16, 09:30 PM
Besides goalies, there are 5 players...I'm very against defensive hockey...that NJ Devils used to play for years - it wasn't entertaining...]

In a playoff series/Olympics a hot goalie can carry a team to a championship. Seen it many times over the years just like Mr Quick did with the Kings a few years ago.
Devils may not be entertaining but many playoff appearances and a few Stanley Cups would be entertaining enough for me!!
And totally agree about Messier!! I am a life long Ranger fan so you know where I stand with Messier!!

PhilDernerJr
2014-02-17, 12:05 AM
Olympic hockey "Annoying"? Dont get that!! Finding all the games quite exciting!!
And "weak?" How so?

The wider rinks mean less hitting. It's too "pretty" and almost slow feeling with these guys having the ability to take their time since they have so much space to skate around on and no enforcers to keep them on their toes.

Therefore, weak, "pretty" and tame.

RomNYC
2014-02-17, 04:56 AM
The day I can see the puck on TV, I'll watch hockey... Til then, I'll stick to soccer.

/French-rant-over :tongue:

Gerard
2014-02-17, 07:29 AM
The wider rinks mean less hitting. It's too "pretty" and almost slow feeling with these guys having the ability to take their time since they have so much space to skate around on and no enforcers to keep them on their toes.

I hear what you are saying!! But I will agree to disagree!!
I like the speed and there has been plenty of hitting and action but I dont miss the enforcers!! Its like playoff hockey where enforcers pretty much ride the bench!! So much is at stake that you cant afford some goon to give the other team a power play and put you at a disadvantage!!
BTW Womans team vs Sweden today in the Semis!! That might be "pretty".

Gerard
2014-02-17, 07:24 PM
BTW Womans team vs Sweden today in the Semis!! That might be "pretty".

USA Womens team beat Sweden today 6-1 outshooting them 70-9!! YES SEVENTY to NINE!! Now that aint pretty for the Swedes!! They play Canada for the Gold Thursday at Noon!! Canada beat them last year and will be going for their fourth in a row.
Mens elimination plays starts tomorrow (Today in Sochi) with the first game here at 3AM. Gintaras, Russia-Norway at 7:30AM

Gintaras B.
2014-02-17, 10:22 PM
The day I can see the puck on TV, I'll watch hockey... Til then, I'll stick to soccer.

/French-rant-over :tongue:

I you can't see the puck on TV, don't even try to go to watch hockey in arena - everything is much faster than on TV :smile:. I used to watch some games @ MSG 94-95...
As for soccer - it's #1 sport for me, but i'm loosing interest because too much commerce involved - not only in soccer, but in all sports together.

Hockey isn't about hitting, hockey is about plays, nice passes, speed - it's called finesse hockey. If I'd like to watch hitting, I would watch boxing. :smile:

USA Womens team beat Sweden today 6-1 outshooting them 70-9!! YES SEVENTY to NINE!! Now that aint pretty for the Swedes!! They play Canada for the Gold Thursday at Noon!! Canada beat them last year and will be going for their fourth in a row.
Mens elimination plays starts tomorrow (Today in Sochi) with the first game here at 3AM. Gintaras, Russia-Norway at 7:30AM

Gerard, I don't give a damn about women's hockey - it's not women's sport, and women should stay women(Just I don't have nothing against women - pilots - like Svetlana Kapanina or other women - like the one on Lufthansa A380...:smile:). And, 6-1 - it doesn't sound like good game. I do like tight games.

Tomorrow I have to go to work and I would be able to see just a little of 1st period. It's just sports and I don't take that seriously. Much worse would be if I would miss some rare airplane - to take photo of....:smile:

Gerard
2014-02-17, 11:17 PM
Hockey isn't about hitting, hockey is about plays, nice passes, speed - it's called finesse hockey. If I'd like to watch hitting, I would watch boxing.
Gerard, I don't give a damn about women's hockey - it's not women's sport, and women should stay women
It's just sports and I don't take that seriously. Much worse would be if I would miss some rare airplane - to take photo of....:smile:

Hitting is a big part of the game!! A good clean hit is exciting!! Its the goon crap I could do without!!
I'll stay away from "women should stay women" quote!! :tongue::eek:
I LOVE sports!! I've played baseball and basketball. My sons both played ice hockey and roller hockey, my oldest as
far as the Junior level in ice. My daughter played travel soccer!! To me, and many others, sitting down watching games of your favorite team or a big game like Super Bowl, World Series, Stanley Cup etc, well nothing better! It is the ultimate reality show!! A great bonding experience with friends and strangers. Its both exciting and frustrating, exhilarating and depressing! Just cant beat it!!

Gerard
2014-02-18, 07:18 PM
Quarter-Finals set: USA-Czech 12PM
Canada-Latvia 12PM
Sweden-Slovakia 3AM
Russia-Finland 7:30AM

Gintaras B.
2014-02-18, 07:47 PM
Gerard, I do like sports. When I was kid, back in my native country, I used to play hockey on a frozen river ice with friends, neighborhood kids. I did a lot of skiing in a winter. in summertime we used to play basketball, soccer. Basketball in my native country is not a sport - it's religion. I do have skates and I do go sometimes(less lately) to skate to the rink in Brooklyn - Coney Island.
For me, main sports event - soccer World Cup. I watch when I can UEFA Champions League. I'm planning to get Roku 3 mainly for sports to watch - KHL, UEFA Cups, Bundesleague, English Premier League...etc...
Soccer is most exiting sport to me. Hockey comes second. I've watched all 3 Rangers home games 94-95 Stanley Cup 1st round vs. Quebec Nordiques(next year the moved to Colorado) @ The Garden. I've watched Ranger game when Mark Messier scored his 500th goal(vs. Calgary, I think) at the Garden.

Gerard
2014-02-18, 10:17 PM
I've watched all 3 Rangers home games 94-95 Stanley Cup 1st round vs. Quebec Nordiques(next year the moved to Colorado)

Mmm, if one of them was an OT winner I was there with a buddy from work!! Not sure if it was that year!!

Gintaras B.
2014-02-19, 06:49 PM
Quarter-Finals set: USA-Czech 12PM
Canada-Latvia 12PM
Sweden-Slovakia 3AM
Russia-Finland 7:30AM

I wished Latvia win vs Canada, it didn't happen...

Gerard
2014-02-19, 07:12 PM
I wished Latvia win vs Canada, it didn't happen...

It was close. Canada didnt score winning goal to almost halfway through 3rd period.
Thought USA game would be closer but I am very happy!!
Finland beating Russia did not surprise me!! Rask was playing great goal and the Fins played like a team. With all their stars the Russians did not seem to have any cohesiveness.
Sweden will be tough with Henrik playing superb goal!! Happily I am off Friday so I can watch these games!!
USA-Canada at 12Noon. Finland-Sweden at 7AM
Games on NBCSports

Gerard
2014-02-20, 05:51 PM
USA Womens team beat Sweden today 6-1!! They play Canada for the Gold Thursday at Noon!!

Tough tough loss for the USA Womans team in the Gold Medal game!! Carried a 2-0 lead into 3rd but Canada rallies and ties with under a minute left then wins in OT!! Some questionable calls by the refs in OT for both sides but the bottom line is the USA team blew it allowing Canada to comeback like they did!!
In the Bronze game the Swiss team beat Sweden to win their first EVER Olympic medal in hockey!! Their Mens team won the Gold back in 1948.
Tomorrow the Mens Semis!! Cant wait!!

Gintaras B.
2014-02-20, 08:41 PM
Tough tough loss for the USA Womans team in the Gold Medal game!! Carried a 2-0 lead into 3rd but Canada rallies and ties with under a minute left then wins in OT!! Some questionable calls by the refs in OT for both sides but the bottom line is the USA team blew it allowing Canada to comeback like they did!!
In the Bronze game the Swiss team beat Sweden to win their first EVER Olympic medal in hockey!! Their Mens team won the Gold back in 1948.
Tomorrow the Mens Semis!! Cant wait!!

I was talking to my brother on the phone the other day, he told me that Swiss hockey league is pretty good lately.
And, if you've watched Canada vs Latvia, my brother drives(~ 100 miles one way) with friends to watch KHL hockey to Riga - Latvian capitol, where Riga Dinamo plays. He's very exited about watching those KHL hockey games.

I did read, that women's US team blew final game big time....

Gerard
2014-02-21, 10:55 AM
The first Semi set as Sweden beats Finland 2-1!! Exciting game!! The Rask-Henrik showdown didnt happen as Rask was out sick!! Karri Lehtonen subbed and did a capable, though not good enough, job!!
Rumors circulating Putin had the FSB poison him after his performance in the Semis to beat Mother Russia!! :tongue::eek::rolleyes:
And Yes Gintaras, the US team did blow it (like that better than choke)!!

Gerard
2014-02-21, 04:31 PM
Well the Gold Medal game is set: Canada vs Sweden. The US went down today 1-0 in a pretty exciting game!! Yes a 1-0 game can be exciting!! Now the US will play Finland tomorrow for the Bronze!!
The Gold Medal game is on NBC not NBCSports Sunday at 7AM. Hockey breakfeast it will be.
And I will NOT be rooting for the North American team!! And its not because they beat the US (well a little) it is because I want to see Henrik Lundqvist win his 2nd Olympic gold medal!!

Gintaras B.
2014-02-21, 10:41 PM
Yes a 1-0 game can be exciting!!

Even 0:0 game can be exiting...who need score numbers - should watch basketball...
And CAN-USA was really good and exiting - pure hockey without boxing elements..

NIKV69
2014-02-22, 05:44 AM
King Henrikl! Going to shut out Canada!

Gerard
2014-02-22, 08:47 PM

That would be great and looking forward to that game!!
Today was terrible!! Maybe it was the Day After Letdown from losing to Canada yesterday but the USA team had nothing against the Fins today, losing 5-0!! After the euphoria of the SO win against the Russians last Sat to being shutout back to back and no medals, awful!! And whats with Patrick Kane? Nothing in the Olympics and had two penalty shots today and zippo !! Mmmm, maybe he was taste testing the Sochi vodka too much this week!!

Gintaras B.
2014-02-23, 10:08 AM

Didn't happen....:tongue::smile:

Gerard
2014-02-23, 11:17 AM

Yes with all the talk about Henrik and Rask, Carey Price of Canada gives up just 3 goals in 5 games to help lead Canada to their second consecutive Olympic Gold Medal!! Henrik didnt play awful, just not much firepower to help him out!!
Congratulations to our Northern neighbors on their Olympic Gold!!
Now let's get the NHL cranked up for the 2nd half of the season!!

Gintaras B.
2014-03-16, 11:23 PM
Just started to watch KHL - I'm very exited what I see so far - Pure Hockey, Finesse Hockey...no boxing...

NIKV69
2014-03-17, 09:01 AM

IOC helped them! Banning Backstrom for Zrytek? Come on.

Gerard
2014-05-29, 11:25 PM
Long Suffering Ranger Fan here..................OHHHHHHHHH BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:smile::smile::smile::smile:
Unbelievable!! Game 4 against the Penguins at MSG they looked like a beaten, demoralized team!! Booed off their home ice!! Now THIS!!!!!!!
This is absolutely amazing!!!! Just amazing!!

Gintaras B.
2014-05-30, 06:45 PM
Long Suffering Ranger Fan here..................OHHHHHHHHH BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:smile::smile::smile::smile:
Unbelievable!! Game 4 against the Penguins at MSG they looked like a beaten, demoralized team!! Booed off their home ice!! Now THIS!!!!!!!
This is absolutely amazing!!!! Just amazing!!

Let's Go Rangers!

Speedbagel_001
2014-06-02, 01:40 PM
The Rangers definitely earned their trip to the Finals. All that hard work has paid off. Hard to believe it's been 20 years since they last made the Finals. But now that they are "in", they better make the most of it and play their best hockey they can. Of course, all the so-called "experts" are predicting the Kings to take the Cup. Maybe NYR can use their "underdog" status to pull off a huge upset. Either way, it should be a very entertaining series to watch.

Gerard
2014-06-02, 06:32 PM
The Rangers definitely earned their trip to the Finals. All that hard work has paid off. Hard to believe it's been 20 years since they last made the Finals. But now that they are "in", they better make the most of it and play their best hockey they can. Of course, all the so-called "experts" are predicting the Kings to take the Cup. Maybe NYR can use their "underdog" status to pull off a huge upset. Either way, it should be a very entertaining series to watch.

First time since 1981 NY-LA has played against each other in a Final in any of the 4 major sports!! Hard to believe its been that long.
Yes was listened to the NHL Network in my car over the weekend and they are definitely biased for the West. But as we have seen in these playoffs, don't take anything for granted.
On a personal level this has been great for me and my boys and from reading and listening to other sports Talk it has been a major bonding time for many other families . In '94 my sons were 6 and 4 years old!! They remember NOTHING!! Both HUGE Ranger fans who have played on HS and Travel hockey teams! On Friday I saw my older son that morning and he gave me a BIG hug!! Said he was crying when they won. Saw my youngest son that night, he of the really nice red playoff beard, and we also hugged it out!! It has been really wonderful.
On another note, Saturday night my wife and I are flying to Ireland for a week!! This has been my dream vacation for so many years!! Who the @*&^ knew that when we booked it so many months ago the Rangers would be in the FINALS??? LMAO!! Amazing!! Got lots of advise but with games starting 1AM Irish time my only answer is Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz!! My wife has her iPad so I will update myself in the morning!! If it goes 6/7 I will be home for that!! Maybe my trip will impart some Luck of The Irish on the Broadway Blueshirts!!!
Whatever...... LETS GO RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gintaras B.
2014-06-03, 08:38 PM
First time since 1981 NY-LA has played against each other in a Final in any of the 4 major sports!! Hard to believe its been that long.
Yes was listened to the NHL Network in my car over the weekend and they are definitely biased for the West. But as we have seen in these playoffs, don't take anything for granted.
On a personal level this has been great for me and my boys and from reading and listening to other sports Talk it has been a major bonding time for many other families . In '94 my sons were 6 and 4 years old!! They remember NOTHING!! Both HUGE Ranger fans who have played on HS and Travel hockey teams! On Friday I saw my older son that morning and he gave me a BIG hug!! Said he was crying when they won. Saw my youngest son that night, he of the really nice red playoff beard, and we also hugged it out!! It has been really wonderful.
On another note, Saturday night my wife and I are flying to Ireland for a week!! This has been my dream vacation for so many years!! Who the @*&^ knew that when we booked it so many months ago the Rangers would be in the FINALS??? LMAO!! Amazing!! Got lots of advise but with games starting 1AM Irish time my only answer is Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz!! My wife has her iPad so I will update myself in the morning!! If it goes 6/7 I will be home for that!! Maybe my trip will impart some Luck of The Irish on the Broadway Blueshirts!!!
Whatever...... LETS GO RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

a TRUE Rangers fan would cancel that trip....Schedule your trip after Rangers will win a Lord Stanley Cup....

Tomorrow nite is The Nite....

Gerard
2014-06-03, 10:48 PM
a TRUE Rangers fan would cancel that trip...

I am and always will be a TRUE Ranger fan, that is something I have NO DOUBT about, but there are things in ones life that will always supercede a sporting event.
My trip to Ireland is something that has always been a dream of mine!! Journeying to the country of my ancestors!! In the big picture of my life hockey or any sport doesnt come close!! I've experienced the Rangers winning the Stanley Cup, I havent experienced the beauty of Ireland!!

Gintaras B.
2014-06-04, 02:01 AM
I've experienced Rangers winning The Cup after being in this country just somewhere 2 1/2 years....It was totally WILD !!!. I won't ever forget THAT Game 6 vs, NJ Devils in semis....

Gerard
2014-07-03, 11:09 AM
Yes its a few weeks late but just a few thoughts on the Finals!! It was a rough Finals for the Rangers, losing 3 games in OT, two Double OT and being eliminated in 2OT. And they had leads in those games which they blew!! UGH!!
BUT that being said I am still so very happy for the season and the ride to the Finals was so much fun!! Eliminating hated rivals Philadelphia then Pittsburgh (In Pittsburgh) was AWESOME. Clinching the ride to the Finals at MSG by beating Original 6 team Montreal and winning the Eastern Conference, well that was just wonderful!!
I do have to say i found myself fortunate not seeing any of the games except Game 1 as I was over in Ireland having the vacation of a lifetime!! I say "fortunate" because I didnt have to put myself through the stress and drama and anxiousness (that is a word isnt it?) of watching the games!! With a 5 hour time difference the games didnt start there till 1AM and for some reason :eek: :rolleyes: the BBC didn't carry them!! No, I found out the scores in the morning when I woke up!! Groaned and moaned then on to the bus for a day of touring!!
Proud of my team!! Win or Lose I am with them!! Now we just finished a whirlwind crazy first day of Free agency in the NHL on Monday and a number of changes to the Rangers ands it seems every team in the NHL!! We shall see how 2014-15 pans out but I think the NY Rangers will be back up there battling once again for the Finals!!