PDA

View Full Version : Free train show at grand central station this weekend...

alberchico
2013-05-08, 01:35 AM
http://www.grandcentralterminal.com/event/grand-centennial-parade-of-trains/2145403542

Sounds pretty interesting....

Joe
2013-05-08, 06:25 PM
I'll be there as a dealer for the model show and sale

megatop412
2013-05-09, 09:15 AM
This looks incredible, if I didn't already have plans this weekend I would be there. That NY Central F unit sounds awesome (and getting to meet 'Metro Man' is also another big plus:tongue:)

alberchico
2013-05-09, 03:22 PM
For those wanting to bring photo and video cameras to this event keep in mind whats on the bottom of the website

''Please note: No backpacks will be permitted in event spaces during the Parade of Trains, including Vanderbilt Hall and on the platforms serving Tracks 34 to 37. There will be no bag check available.''

yankees368
2013-05-13, 12:12 PM
I tried to go, but when I arrived we were informed that there was a "5 hour wait," and the line was cut off. Seriously disappointing. Got to ride the old cars on the shuttle, at least.

Landing Lights
2013-05-13, 12:55 PM
...when I arrived we were informed that there was a "5 hour wait," and the line was cut off...

That's worse than the wait to get aboard one of the planes on Kids Day! Seriously though, I had been considering making an afternoon trip down to see this so I'm glad I saw that the line was closed before I left.

megatop412
2013-05-13, 02:28 PM
5 hours??? I'm surprised there were people willing to wait 4

moose135
2013-05-13, 02:30 PM
5 hours??? I'm surprised there were people willing to wait 4
I've spent some time helping a friend run/sell at model train shows. With the people that come out for that sort of stuff, it doesn't surprise me...
:-)

megatop412
2013-05-13, 03:55 PM
I've been to a couple in the last few years, at both the Valley Forge Convention Center and the Philadelphia Convention Center, and there was never a wait like that, and these were big shows. Granted, there were no old train cars for people to visit, so maybe that(and the free price of admission) were the culprits

yankees368
2013-05-13, 04:27 PM
Free + Manhattan + indoor favorable weather = big crowds

alberchico
2013-05-13, 06:03 PM
I tried to go, but when I arrived we were informed that there was a "5 hour wait," and the line was cut off. Seriously disappointing. Got to ride the old cars on the shuttle, at least.

Wow. I got there Saturday morning at 10:30 am and I had to wait a total of 2 hours to get in. Imagine how long the lines would be if the Kids Day event at LGA was widely publicized .....

eric8669
2013-05-13, 07:35 PM

From what I heard is that at 12 noon they closed the line to reorganize it. I waited about 1 hour and 15 minutes half of which was spent sitting and waiting in an air conditioned Metro North Train. it was very relaxing. When it was our turn the entire train car was emptied out and brought over to the parade of trains.

Joe
2013-05-13, 10:50 PM
I was a vendor at the show this weekend, Saturday was a complete mad house and they had counter 30,000 + people that visited the old trains, Sunday was about half. I got to see them earlier before they let the public in, although I was only able to enter a few of them as most were closed. I didn't anything about a five hour wait but knew that they closed the line around 2 PM as they didn't expect the crowds that they received. In Metro North's eye, the show was a big success that they already plan on doing it again next year for National Train Day, which was Saturday. This was directly from the show's organizer as she asked if I would be interested in attending next year's show as we were packing up on Sunday.

alberchico
2013-05-14, 12:58 AM
Anyone notice that the Red Caboose hobby store had a table selling aircraft models as well :smile:

There was a table selling some interesting railroad history books but they were horrendously expensive...