PDA

View Full Version : Spotting New York

cls
2013-03-05, 11:33 AM
Hey guys,

my name is Christoph and I'm on a visit from Germany to New York until the 15th of March.
If anybody is interested in doing some spotting during this time and
show me around at either LGA or JFK I'd really appreciate it.
Not sure how easy it is without a car (and I don't wanna rent one).

Cheers,
Christoph

yankees368
2013-03-05, 12:03 PM
Welcome to the site! Sadly, spotting at NY area airports is pretty much not possible without a car. Most spots are quite out of reach of public transport. Not sure if anyone plans to be out this weekend, but somebody should chime in!

moose135
2013-03-05, 12:26 PM
Avoid EWR...
:wink:

threeholerglory
2013-03-05, 04:12 PM
Avoid EWR...
:wink:

As horrible as EWR is, please don't mix NJ with NY...we're not ready to stoop to THAT level!

oh yeah...avoid EWR!

Landing Lights
2013-03-05, 04:44 PM
JFK and LGA are definitely easier with a car, however certain spots at each are doable by bus, while others (mostly at JFK) would be very difficult. If you haven't already, check out the spotting guides (http://www.nycaviation.com/spotting-guides/). For LGA, each spot includes public transportation directions, and none of those should be terribly difficult to get to. For JFK, the Mounds strikes me as being the easiest to get to via bus, though HoBe area might be fairly easy as well. However most of the Nassau County spots for the 4s and the 31s will be very challenging without a car. In any of these locations at either airport, a runway change could leave you out of luck or at least on a bus for a good amount of time while you are re-positioning.

cls
2013-03-07, 01:18 PM
Hey,

thanks for all your answers. I might give it a try at LGA. However, if anyone goes out to JFK this or the next week, just drop me a line (I really like those banking shots).
But lets see what the weather does... ;)