PDA

View Full Version : WANTED: JFK Spotting Helicopter Info

JeffinMass
2013-01-31, 02:46 PM
Hello...

I just came back from a successful helicopter spotting trip over LAX. Do you know of
what companies perform this over JFK?

Thank you,

Jeff :cool:

NIKV69
2013-01-31, 04:24 PM
Sam Chui doesn't post here. :wink:

Gerard
2013-01-31, 06:43 PM
Hello...

I just came back from a successful helicopter spotting trip over LAX. Do you know of
what companies perform this over JFK?
Thank you,
Jeff :cool:

Unless you have the $$$$$$$ to charter a helicopter forget about it!! And even then I dont see you getting very close to JFK to
hover and spot!! Exactly how did you do the spotting at LAX?

clear_prop
2013-01-31, 07:38 PM
Unless you have the $$$$$$$ to charter a helicopter forget about it!! And even then I dont see you getting very close to JFK to
hover and spot!! Exactly how did you do the spotting at LAX?

The LA VFR flyways go right over the top of LAX.

It surprises a lot of people, but makes sense when you think about it, but the safest place to pass an airport is right over the top. Except for F-15s, planes don't go straight up on departure.

I fly in the Bay Area, and pass over the top of SFO/OAK/SJC all the time.

JFK likes to have VFR transitions go along the shoreline, but still probably decent for spotting.

Gerard
2013-01-31, 11:42 PM
JFK likes to have VFR transitions go along the shoreline, but still probably decent for spotting.

Mmmmm not so sure!! Those VFR transitions along the Rockaways usually dont fly high enough to get good looks!!
He could charter the copter, have it land at the General Aviation Terminal then take right off!! :cool:

megatop412
2013-01-31, 11:59 PM
I think Manny had said he had recently looked into it and the price was enormous, like over a grand.

gonzalu
2013-02-01, 12:54 AM
I went with Sam the last time he was here and we got turned away by JFK atthe very last moment because of heavier than usual traffic. Sam eventually made it a few days later with Art...

Anyway, LAX gives SPECIAL zones and official access to these to a few Helicopter operators... that's why you see it so much.. it is also inexpensive as little as $300 per hour on a Robinson R22.

NYC JFK ALSO allows overflights at a certain altitude.. happens ALL DAY LONG when you're out there... it is NOT shoreline only although if you ARE below TCA, you must keep it shoreline or track routing etc.

Anyway, for the info. The cheapest you will find are operators working out of Linden Airport near EWR. Lowest cost we had was about $1500 per hour, minimum TWO hours on a Robinson R44. Takes about :30 to get to JFK and another :30 to get back giving you 1:00 on station. With JFK clearance ahead of time, it is doable and you can have decent spotting locations actually. Between the 31s and southeast of the 22s or Northwest of the 22s.

In my own research, cheapest of the tour operators in Manhattan, $3,000 to $5,000 per hour, depending on day and hour... (OUCH) and there are NONE operating from JFK or LGA... there is I think ONE company operating out of TEB... most others, including most News Copters, all out of Linden!

HPN may be another option but I do not think they have any helo operators there.

Gerard
2013-02-01, 09:48 AM
NYC JFK ALSO allows overflights at a certain altitude.. happens ALL DAY LONG when you're out there... it is NOT shoreline only although if you ARE below TCA, you must keep it shoreline or track routing

I understand there are overflights but that is just what they are, overflights, no standing or stopping , keep moving , nothing to see here folks!! :cool: Like the Throggs Neck Bridge Routing over LGA E/W bound!!
Love my helos but not sure I'd want to sit hovering in an R44 for an hour over anywhere!!:tongue:

skyteam18
2013-02-01, 02:29 PM
Join a helicopter forum for the NYC area and find a pilot looking to build hours. Gonna be a lot cheaper than 1,500 an hour.

Mateo
2013-02-02, 12:40 PM
It surprises a lot of people, but makes sense when you think about it, but the safest place to pass an airport is right over the top. Except for F-15s, planes don't go straight up on departure.The standard VFR transition from MMU/SMQ to points east was directly over EWR. Call up the Tower to coordinate, and they'll send your right on through. Even had two separate waypoints programmed in the LORAN, EWR04 and EWR22. IAD has helicopters overflying midfield also, often UH-1s heading from DC out to a <ahem> location up in the Blue Ridge.

gonzalu
2013-02-02, 01:03 PM
It surprises a lot of people, but makes sense when you think about it, but the safest place to pass an airport is right over the top. Except for F-15s, planes don't go straight up on departure.

Silly, you forget about the A346 :tongue: What's the old saying? It uses ground effect and the curvature of the Earth?

Vivek777Kaul
2013-02-04, 02:35 PM
I looked into it too...and i completely agree with manny...they charge extra 250 just to remove the doors...it it totally not worth it if the prices are going to be over $ 500 for an hour....

clear_prop
2013-02-04, 10:16 PM
Look into renting a fixed wing. They fly slow enough to get decent pics and are much cheaper than fling wing. The windows on a Cessna 172 can be opened in flight, and if you remove one screw, can be opened completely flush with the bottom of the wing.

This is a pic with my crappy P&S camera from a 172 at 3500ft passing SFO:

http://www.clear-prop.com/fly-05-30-09/images/img_1664.jpg

"Traffic restricted below you, a heavy 747"

JeffinMass
2013-02-04, 10:31 PM
Thanks for all the input. If you've ever been in a helicopter over aircraft you will know what I mean. It's an AWESOME experience!
Next up ATL.

gonzalu
2013-02-04, 11:47 PM
http://www.clear-prop.com/fly-05-30-09/images/img_1664.jpg

hiss srq
2013-02-05, 08:59 AM
I can tell you right out of the gate that the chances of JFK tower letting you loiter anyplace in the Bravo are about slim to none at an hour where it is worth spotting. We don't even like NYPD doing touch and goes on the pad next to Foxtrot during daylight hours.

abandagale
2013-07-16, 12:08 AM
From what I understand (as per the star helicopters website) the R44 can accommodate upto 3 spotters...

If I can somehow find 2 spotters willing to share, I'm up for this...

The pics of JFK Sam got from the chopper back in Sept 2011 were simply mind blowing!!

Aviation.High.Guy
2013-07-16, 04:11 PM
From what I understand (as per the star helicopters website) the R44 can accommodate upto 3 spotters...

If I can somehow find 2 spotters willing to share, I'm up for this...

The pics of JFK Sam got from the chopper back in Sept 2011 were simply mind blowing!!

Not sure which city you are looking to book? "Star" is in the LA area, but this thread is about JFK.

abandagale
2014-08-13, 09:33 PM
coreheli.com

R-44 for $800 per hour (upto 2 spotters). They have R-22 with one passenger for $400/hour but when i spoke to the guy there he recommended against it as the tower doesnt like its 'slow' nature esp while crossing runways

Anyone interested in doing one anytime soon? I'm up for it if I can find someone...

Bangkok Airways
2014-08-24, 03:41 PM
Just now, heard on liveatc.net there's a helicopter requesting to hower at 1000ft somewhere close to the final to take pictures. I think they requested 20 minutes. Tower handed them over to Departure I think, but if I heard it correct, they got permission.

lufthansafan100
2014-08-25, 03:15 PM
helicopterflighttraininginc.com does sightseeing around Long Island. ''If there is something special you want to see, ask us and we will try to accommodate you as best we can'' Price is not listed on the website.