PDA

View Full Version : Finally saw Air Force One Yesterday

Speedbird1
2012-10-19, 05:45 AM
I was sunning at Coney Island Thursday. The JFK ATIS said that they were using 22L/R for arrivals so I never bothered watching for any inbounds. Suddenly, around 1400, I heard engines and saw Air Force One using the VOR 13L Approach. I was shocked as I read once that this aircraft never uses that approach but instead uses either ILS 31R or 31L. This explains why Rwy 13L wasn't used all day despite a wind of 150 @7 all day and perfect visibility. Better yet, at 1430, 3 Marine choppers passed right overhead eastbound toward the Heliport. About 40 min. later, 1 chopper returned to JFK. Finally, the Rwy 13L/31R re-opened. Where does Air Force One stay when visiting JFK? It used to stay at a hangar off 13R/31L? Thanks. It was a thrill finally seeing this as I imagined it would land from the 31 side. This was almost as memorable as seeing Enterprise atop its 747.

Gerard
2012-10-19, 09:07 AM
I was sunning at Coney Island Thursday. The JFK ATIS said that they were using 22L/R for arrivals so I never bothered watching for any inbounds. Suddenly, around 1400, I heard engines and saw Air Force One using the VOR 13L Approach. I was shocked as I read once that this aircraft never uses that approach but instead uses either ILS 31R or 31L. This explains why Rwy 13L wasn't used all day despite a wind of 150 @7 all day and perfect visibility. Better yet, at 1430, 3 Marine choppers passed right overhead eastbound toward the Heliport. About 40 min. later, 1 chopper returned to JFK. Finally, the Rwy 13L/31R re-opened. Where does Air Force One stay when visiting JFK? It used to stay at a hangar off 13R/31L? Thanks. It was a thrill finally seeing this as I imagined it would land from the 31 side. This was almost as memorable as seeing Enterprise atop its 747.

Just missed this. I had to go to JFK to pick up my daughter and they had already departed. I park by the old Crowne Plaza Hotel off the VW access to JFK so when I get the call its easy to head right into the airport. Yesterday her flight was late but I didnt mind as the 13 arrivals were zooming past me real low before touching down. Was surprised when I just got there and climbed out of my car to stretch my legs and a British Airways 747 went right past me!! Damn I wish I had my phone camera ready. Sat there for about 45 minutes in the bus stop cutout with no hassle from LE. I see others doing the same. Its a great spot to wait even if there are no 13 arrivals.

megatop412
2012-10-19, 10:20 AM
I agree, seeing AF1 for my first time was a real treat(although you got the added 13L bonus with it):cool: