PDA

View Full Version : Is there an APP for that??

JHNA57
2012-10-09, 09:38 AM
Hopefully this thread will be useful for all of us looking for opinions on the best available apps, free or otherwise.

I am looking for an I-Phone app to help decode aviation weather briefings.

Also, is Sporty's E6B flight calculator useful even to a non-pilot

PhilDernerJr
2012-10-09, 12:45 PM
I can't imagine any civilian use for a Sportys calculator at all. Maybe others feel differently.

I recently got AeroWeather, a good app that is my favorite so far, that lets you choose "decoded" to view the text reports. I haven't used the decoded version though. Otherwise worth the $3.

Landing Lights
2012-10-09, 01:37 PM
My favorite recent addition is FlightRadar 24 Pro. It uses a combination of ADS-B (realtime) and FAA Radar (5 minute delay) to show whats out there. There are 2 modes: a map like Flightaware (ADS-B/FAA) and augmented reality (ADS-B only) which has probably become my favorite feature. I can stand in my yard and ID the traffic flying overhead now much more easily then I could just using Flightaware. Three bucks well spent, though there is a limited functionality free version if you want to try before you buy.

Of course there are the old standbys Flightaware (free!) and LiveATC.net's app ($5) I also have an app called "World Airport Data" that I am just starting to rediscover. At $4 its a bit steep for whats included I think. And similar to FlightRadar24 is Planefinder and PlanefinderAR.

gonzalu
2012-10-09, 11:52 PM
Hopefully this thread will be useful for all of us looking for opinions on the best available apps, free or otherwise.

I am looking for an I-Phone app to help decode aviation weather briefings.

Also, is Sporty's E6B flight calculator useful even to a non-pilot

ATIS is great as it decodes the AWOS data in english for you :-) and it's free. Unfortunatley, LiveATC does not have the JFK or LGA or EWR ATIS feeds :( I was thinking of providing the feed for LGA ATIS from my LGA TOWER location but I can't get a strong enough signal for it...