PDA

View Full Version : Remember the JFK Aviation Display ?

Speedbird1
2012-07-07, 05:51 AM
While not qualifying as a full-fledged museum, in the old JFK Control Tower, they had a small aviation display. I recall historic photos, including the arrival of the Beatles at JFK. I also recall some TWA memorabilia. What else was there? Of course, when the old Tower got demolished, the display disappeared. What happened to those historic items? Why isn't there a similar display at T4 on the upper-level? I saw a similar display at McCarran several years ago. Also demolished were the elegant 3 chapels with reflecting pools and colored lights. They were replaced with a parking lot. Finally, JFK had a small observation deck at the IAB. They actually charged 10 cents and had a turnstile. Let's bring back an observatiuon deck!

disco stu
2012-07-08, 04:46 PM
They still have the display at McCarran. It's directly above baggage claim, and has some cool memorabilia and photos. There's a smaller display in the "D" Gates tucked in a corner to the right when you come up the big escalators from the tram. By the by....New user here. New York ex-pat living in Vegas. :cool:

Idlewild
2012-07-08, 06:10 PM
While not qualifying as a full-fledged museum, in the old JFK Control Tower, they had a small aviation display. I recall historic photos, including the arrival of the Beatles at JFK. I also recall some TWA memorabilia. What else was there? Of course, when the old Tower got demolished, the display disappeared. What happened to those historic items? Why isn't there a similar display at T4 on the upper-level? I saw a similar display at McCarran several years ago. Also demolished were the elegant 3 chapels with reflecting pools and colored lights. They were replaced with a parking lot. Finally, JFK had a small observation deck at the IAB. They actually charged 10 cents and had a turnstile. Let's bring back an observation deck!

The old Protestant chapel had a wonderful aviation display inside. Mostly models of past and current airliners (before demolition). Some, were the ole glue together kind. A lot of them were in-house displays donated by travel agencies and the airlines themselves. I certainly wish I knew where those models were. And, the IAB observation deck paled in comparison to the Worldport (at least in the 70s & 80s). Although, the IAB obs had a wonderful restaurant next to it where you could dine on fine cuisine and watch the the engines of 707s fire up like rockets during the night.

Matt Molnar
2012-07-08, 06:15 PM
Vaguely remember seeing the display in the tower once when I was little, late 80s I guess.

727C47
2012-07-08, 09:09 PM
i used to visit the old tower when I was a private pilot,they would always buzz me up, I would hang out,shoot the breeze,watch the ops,all way pre 9/11 of course. my plan back then was to fly into JFK in a C152 from Morristown, the tower guys told me the best time would be a saturday morning 'round 8am, I never made it there in the 152, my first time under my own steam was in Sept.'94 flying a DC3 freighter on the Canarsie approach, over my familys old sod in South Ozone Park,at 95 knots,making the pivot turn following the LDIN lights over the Conduit, thinking to myself, "you can go home again", that was a wonderful flight.