PDA

View Full Version : Open Letter to NYC Council Member Fernando Cabrera

PhilDernerJr
2012-06-28, 04:11 PM
Councilman Cabrera,

Some news organizations are spreading allegations that you are presenting legislation to rename the Willis Avenue Bridge after Former Mayor David Dinkins!

Don't worry, I know better than to listen to them. I know you're smarter than to want to rename ANYTHING after one of the worst mayors that NYC has seen in the last quarter century, who did nothing to improve the city during dark and crime-filled times. Not to mention wasting millions of citizens' tax dollars on new signs and everything that goes into renaming a bridge. What an unnecessary and useless act that would be, and to waste time on legislation while so many actual problems are going on in our city! Surely you can see why I'm hurt that local news agencies would attack you in such a way.

I've CCed fellow Councilman Dan Halloran, who represents my town in Queens, who I am sure will also be amazed at such ugly accusations.

I hope you get out there and tell people that's not true!

At your service,

-Phil Derner, Jr.
College Point, NY

yankees368
2012-06-28, 04:29 PM
http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac1/yankees368/dinkin.jpg

gonzalu
2012-06-28, 05:02 PM
I met Mayor Dinkins personally and worked for his Health Commissioner, Woody Meyers. He was a good person, aside from his political views and capabilities.

PhilDernerJr
2012-06-28, 05:37 PM
Someone on Twitter said it is a waste of money, clearly for political favors, and will confuse motorists. I don't see any benefits for reasons for doing it.

yankees368
2012-06-28, 05:49 PM
I think that was David Abbey on Twitter, and he is right. Just changing out all the signs for bridges costs millions of dollars. (though probably less for a smaller bridge like this)

NIKV69
2012-06-28, 06:08 PM
Nice letter Phil. Yes we really do not need to change the name of anything right now. Especially him.