PDA

View Full Version : Mars Colonization in Ten Years?

Perriwen
2012-06-05, 11:50 PM
This was posted by space.com, I believe. Would be awesome if we could actually start this so soon...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QoEEGySGm4

megatop412
2012-06-05, 11:57 PM
2023? Sounds 20 years too early, but what do I know

And I would never go there if I couldn't come back home if I wanted to

Matt Molnar
2012-06-06, 12:10 AM
It's unlikely that we will land a man on mars by then, nevermind start building a colony there.

puckstopper55
2012-06-06, 09:02 AM
at this rate, I hope we land a man on Mars in our lifetimes. I wasent born for the moon landing in '69 and would love to see something of this magnitude before I kick the bucket.

PhilDernerJr
2012-06-06, 10:17 AM
at this rate, I hope we land a man on Mars in our lifetimes. I wasent born for the moon landing in '69 and would love to see something of this magnitude before I kick the bucket.

Quoted for trooth.

cancidas
2012-06-06, 12:28 PM
i really hope that this picks up the momentum needed to make it work. money alone won't be enough. the use of strictly private investment is probably the key to get over the first hurdle. i'd love to be able to do something like that, just not sure that i'd want to stay there for the rest of my life.

Matt Molnar
2012-06-06, 10:55 PM
i really hope that this picks up the momentum needed to make it work. money alone won't be enough. the use of strictly private investment is probably the key to get over the first hurdle. i'd love to be able to do something like that, just not sure that i'd want to stay there for the rest of my life.
I don't know that there's any profit to be made in going to Mars, so private investment might not work. Launching satellites is profitable and mining asteroids might be profitable. But there's little financial gain to be had in paying for a mission to Mars right now, and there probably won't ever be.

The only way private money would work, I think, is if a bunch of really rich guys fronted the money knowing that they won't see it again, but for the prestige of having financed the first mission to Mars.

Gerard
2012-06-06, 11:01 PM
Speaking of Mars, Ray Bradbury passed away today.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/ray-bradbury-dead-91-article-1.1090795