PDA

View Full Version : Delta Running Special LGA-EWR FanFlight for Rangers-Devils Game This Saturday

Matt Molnar
2012-05-16, 08:11 PM
Pretty neat idea from Delta...

Have tickets to Game 3 on Saturday, May 19th, but need a ride to the Prudential Center? Take the Ultimate “Ride” to the NY Rangers game...
The Delta Rangers Fan Flight!

Delta Air Lines and the NY Rangers are going in style -– and you can join us –- on board the first FLIGHT to the NHL Playoffs flying from LaGuardia Marine Air Terminal Airport to Newark Liberty Airport.

This special event will give you and your guest:

Complimentary Seats on this special charter flight, departing at 10am from Delta LaGuardia’s Marine Air Terminal
Rangers alumni join the fun
Rangers Gifts and prizes
Free ground transportation from Newark Airport to the Prudential Center, and return to LaGuardia after the game
The chance for a Lucky Seat to win a free Road Trip for two (2) to a Rangers away game during the 12-13 season.
Fill out the form below to RSVP by noon on Thursday, May 17th. Seating on the flight is limited,so first-come, first-served.

Note: You must already have tickets to Game 3 and be able to present valid identification meeting FAA requirements to fly.

Form is here: http://rangers.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=80270

moose135
2012-05-16, 08:42 PM
Great, like LGA isn't congested enough... :wink:

Cary
2012-05-16, 09:48 PM
Pretty neat idea from Delta...
Complimentary Seats on this special charter flight, departing at 10am from Delta LaGuardia’s Marine Air Terminal*

* Please arrive 2 hours prior to departure for security screening, and allow an additional hour to taxi back to the gate at EWR. :tongue:

Matt Molnar
2012-05-17, 03:47 PM
UPDATE: It will be an Airbus A319 wearing a new New York Rangers logo. I'm guessing the logo will be small, near the door, like other sports decals they've done.

Delta Air Lines and the New York Rangers will celebrate NHL Playoff fever with the first-ever “fan flight”
from New York to Newark, N.J. to watch Saturday’s Eastern Conference Finals Game 3 against the New
Jersey Devils at 1:00 pm at the Prudential Center. The official airline of the New York Rangers will host
more than 80 Rangers fans, customers, and children and families from the Garden of Dreams Foundation.

Rangers legend and Hockey Hall of Famer Rod Gilbert and Rangers great Ron Duguay will join Rangers
fans, Delta pilots, flight attendants and customers to unveil an aircraft that has been branded with the New
York Rangers logo. They will then board the fan flight for the short trip from LaGuardia Airport (LGA) to
Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR), and proceed to the arena for the game. Prior to the flight and
on board, fans will celebrate with Rangers rally towels, T-shirts and giveaways.

Delta is the official airline of the New York Rangers and The Madison Square Garden Company and
proud supporter of the Garden of Dreams Foundation, a nonprofit charity that works closely with all areas
of The Madison Square Garden Company, including the New York Knicks, Liberty, MSG Network, MSG
Entertainment and Fuse to "make dreams come true for kids facing obstacles."

Runway1R
2012-05-17, 04:04 PM
I honestly wonder how the hell they're gonna be able to pull this off. You're flying from queens to newark. Both airports are crowded, and I know Cary was making a joke, but you probably will have to get there early for security. I dont know how long the flight's gonna be, but its all eventually gonna add up. Ive never been to new york before, but Im pretty sure you're gonna be better off taking the subway. =\

Matt Molnar
2012-05-17, 04:42 PM
It definitely won't save any time versus driving or taking the train...you have to be there at 9am for a 1pm game. Saturdays are pretty dead at LGA and Marine Air Terminal is relatively dead all the time. Also, they often have a dedicated security line for events like this.

Win for Rangers fans who get some free shwag and a chance to meet some Rangers legends, and avgeek Rangers fans get a free flight.

Win for Delta which generates buzz the equivalent of hundreds of thousands of dollars in regular advertising for a modest expense. If a couple of frequent fliers end up switching allegiance from AA to DL after this event, it pays for itself.

Speedbird1
2012-05-21, 06:45 AM
This event was given a full page in the Sunday Daily News. They sent a reporter to the Prudential Center the regular way using a bus and trains from LGA and she still bet the fans flying. Incidentally, the A319 returned to LGA but Delta shuttled back the fans to LGA by charter bus. They had a great time and the Rangers won. I'm sure passing through security was the "highlight" of their day. Go Rangers!

Speedbagel_001
2012-05-21, 01:21 PM
I saw that article. The reporter didn't beat them by all that much - maybe 20+ minutes. Still, an interesting experiment.

Anybody have a Flight # and/or a screenshot of the flightpath they took (Flightaware)?

yankees368
2012-05-21, 02:33 PM
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/DAL8857/history/20120519/1400Z/KLGA/KEWR

Speedbagel_001
2012-05-21, 04:07 PM
Cool, thanks!

Matt Molnar
2012-05-21, 04:14 PM
I was onboard...it was fun from an avgeek perspective, and fun for all the Rangers fans...

http://www.nycaviation.com/newspage/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/16-630x430.jpg (http://www.nycaviation.com/2012/05/onboard-deltas-bizarre-buzz-generating-new-york-rangers-fan-flight)

Photos and report: http://www.nycaviation.com/2012/05/onboard-deltas-bizarre-buzz-generating-new-york-rangers-fan-flight

Speedbird1
2012-05-22, 05:00 AM
Flight Aware shows an incorrect flight path. I used Passur which shows the actual route. It did not fly a straight path into EWR but departed Rwy 31 over Rikers, Manhattan and NJ for a bit then headed south to arrive on Rwy 29.