PDA

View Full Version : Mother of Three arrested for taking picture of tourist attraction in airport

Perriwen
2012-05-14, 11:30 AM
Didn't happen to me personally...but I saw the article and was like..wow.

http://americanvisionnews.com/3369/mother-of-3-arrested-abused-for-taking-pictures-of-tourist-attraction-at-airport

Interesting update here:

http://mattweidnerlaw.com/blog/tag/nancy-genovese/

moose135
2012-05-14, 11:42 AM
That happened a while back here on Long Island, and we discussed it at the time. The thing to remember is that the story you read is her lawyer's version of the events and should be viewed that way - and that's all I'll say on the matter...

puckstopper55
2012-05-15, 08:57 AM
That happened a while back here on Long Island, and we discussed it at the time. The thing to remember is that the story you read is her lawyer's version of the events and should be viewed that way - and that's all I'll say on the matter...

While I agree that there are 3 sides to every story, it seems the initial Police Office responding to the scene may have been a bit overzealous. We, as spotters, are more educated about the law (with respect to spotting and photography) then they are. I am sure she, and her sons who arrived at the scene, weren't as polite and calm as the story makes her out to be though.

Big Tim #70
2012-05-16, 08:14 AM
I was outraged until I remembered the case. This lady was anything but an angel.

On a side, I was at Gabreski shooting the piper that was damaged by Biden's plane last year as well as some of the 108'th ops going on. The Airport Manager (I don't remember his name) came up to me and (politely) asked me what I was shooting. I stopped what I was doing, spoke with him for a few minutes, told him what I was shooting and offered to show him my ID if he'd like. He told me that wouldn't be necessary & to "Please" not climb on the fence for my shots but feel free to shoot anything I'd like. That being said, he did offer a warning that if I try to shoot the 108th's ramp, it could be met with some issues.

The Airport Manager did his job by inquiring about why I was taking pictures in an area not common for photogs & after he had his answer, he moved on his way. I know Gabreski has not been a spotter friendly airport in the past but the issue is going to be as big as you want to make it. Be polite. From what I know of this case, this lady was anything but & she had been warned several times...

Any idea what happened with the default judgement? Pretty big mistake on the Town Attorney's part. Death of a mother or not, the business goes on & if he can't be there to handle it, he had better make sure his assistant can be.

puckstopper55
2012-05-16, 09:07 AM
I was outraged until I remembered the case. This lady was anything but an angel.

On a side, I was at Gabreski shooting the piper that was damaged by Biden's plane last year as well as some of the 108'th ops going on. The Airport Manager (I don't remember his name) came up to me and (politely) asked me what I was shooting. I stopped what I was doing, spoke with him for a few minutes, told him what I was shooting and offered to show him my ID if he'd like. He told me that wouldn't be necessary & to "Please" not climb on the fence for my shots but feel free to shoot anything I'd like. That being said, he did offer a warning that if I try to shoot the 108th's ramp, it could be met with some issues.

The Airport Manager did his job by inquiring about why I was taking pictures in an area not common for photogs & after he had his answer, he moved on his way. I know Gabreski has not been a spotter friendly airport in the past but the issue is going to be as big as you want to make it. Be polite. From what I know of this case, this lady was anything but & she had been warned several times...

Any idea what happened with the default judgement? Pretty big mistake on the Town Attorney's part. Death of a mother or not, the business goes on & if he can't be there to handle it, he had better make sure his assistant can be.

I read through all of the articles and related articles for this story. There are no records or individuals who have come forward and said they warned the lady, so she may not have been warned before. As for the attorney and the judgement ... they fired the Town Attorney, and the judge denied the default judgement. A trial should be scheduled for this summer as all the pre trial stuff seems to have been completed this spring.

Big Tim #70
2012-05-17, 12:48 AM
I read through all of the articles and related articles for this story. There are no records or individuals who have come forward and said they warned the lady, so she may not have been warned before. As for the attorney and the judgement ... they fired the Town Attorney, and the judge denied the default judgement. A trial should be scheduled for this summer as all the pre trial stuff seems to have been completed this spring.

I didn't say I read it anyplace...