PDA

View Full Version : Tips for Aviation Job Applications?

bonanzabucks
2012-04-20, 11:49 AM
Hey guys,

I need some help. Two airlines have recently posted some finance/administrative positions that I think I can qualify for. The applications require cover letters. Any suggestions on what I can say to really stand out? I’ve been dreaming of working in the airline industry since I was a kid. Being in my mid-30s, I feel that this is like my last shot. I’d even be willing to take a pay cut for one of these jobs. Honestly, just want someone to give me a shot because I know I can do a good job especially since I’m so passionate about this.

If anyone who works for an airline could give me some advice, I’d really appreciate it. Heck, if I get one of these jobs, I’ll host a get-together and Bar Avion in the City and pay for the first two rounds. Lol (yes, serious about that!)

Thanks so much!

snydersnapshots
2012-04-20, 05:51 PM
I'd say you pretty much hit the high points of the letter in this post. All my cover letters have been for jobs on the flight-ops side of the house, but I would imagine the things you'd want to include for a finance/admin position would be similar. First, you want to show that you will be an asset to the company and a good employee. Of course. you want to emphasize your background in the finance/admin type of work. Beyond that, I'll comment using some of your own quotes.

Definitely use this in some way, shape, or form:

I’ve been dreaming of working in the airline industry since I was a kid.

Insinuate this, but I wouldn't put it exactly like you've written it here:

Being in my mid-30s, I feel that this is like my last shot.

Do NOT put this in, or you'll be working for McDonalds wages! LOL: (however, when they make an offer, do what you feel is best)

I’d even be willing to take a pay cut for one of these jobs.

Absolutely include this:

I know I can do a good job especially since I’m so passionate about this.

I'm sure there are a number of pilots on this board. Pilots like free stuff, especially at a bar. This was dangerous territory but I think you showed your finance/admin acumen very well by limiting the number of drinks bought. Well done. You get the job and I'll be there!

Heck, if I get one of these jobs, I’ll host a get-together and Bar Avion in the City and pay for the first two rounds. Lol (yes, serious about that!)

Thanks so much!

Good luck... You're in NY I see. A couple of pints of Yeungling will be just fine, thank you! :smile:

Let us know what happens.

PhilDernerJr
2012-04-21, 01:22 PM
Your cover letter should consist of three paragraphs, not exceeding one page.

Hi,

I am Joe and I feel I would be a good fit for da job.

I have this quaification, can do THIS, I've done THAT, this skill can allow me to do this, and I cao do that too.

I also feel I'd be an excellent fit because of my strong passion for aviation. Mt interest was instilled on me when I was little, I lost my v to a pilot, stole engines off of a DC-10, and found DB Cooper red-handed because of my love for aviation.

Thanks. I look forward to speaking with you to discuss this exciting opportunity.

Kind regards,

ME BABY