PDA

View Full Version : Taking Offers on Canon 7D & 40D

jerslice
2012-04-06, 12:06 PM
Anyone interested in picking up a well-loved, taken care of Canon 7D or 40D? Both bodies in good working order.

I'm looking to unload both bodies in order to fund an upgrade. PM or email me for details and/or to make an offer.

Derf
2012-04-06, 12:15 PM
I have a 40D and 7D and mine are not going anywhere...I love both my bodies!

Who ever gets it will get two very good cameras!

gonzalu
2012-04-06, 12:45 PM
Cough cough... 1DX? 5DMkIII? cough cough :cool:

jerslice
2012-04-06, 12:47 PM
Cough cough... 1DX? 5DMkIII? cough cough

*cough* generous donation to JDL? *cough cough*

No, most likely to a 1Dmk iii. If the 1Dmkiii can fill the role my 7D does but with higher FPS, better 400+ISO performance and similar AF performance I'd rather have that and lose 7MP.

Derf
2012-04-06, 01:37 PM
and the 1.6 crop? I would think the 7d more desirable no? I seem to be missing something

ANITIX87
2012-04-06, 07:15 PM
Jeremy,

You will be VERY disappointed with the focus performance of the 1DMkIII compared to your 7D. Personally, as someone who has used every iteration of the 1D, I would wait until you can save up for a MkIV or even a new Dx. The MkIV struggles in low light, but will give you the closest system to the 7D you have now, in addition to providing some freedom for cropping since you will lose the 1.6x crop factor of the 7D.

Antonis

Cary
2012-04-06, 08:24 PM
You will be VERY disappointed with the focus performance of the 1DMkIII compared to your 7D. Personally, as someone who has used every iteration of the 1D, I would wait until you can save up for a MkIV or even a new Dx. The MkIV struggles in low light, but will give you the closest system to the 7D you have now, in addition to providing some freedom for cropping since you will lose the 1.6x crop factor of the 7D.

Antonis - When did you get your 1DmIII? Having owned the 7D and 1DmIII for the past few years, the 1DmIII blows away the 7D in AF performance. Completely annihilates it. I bought mine after the initial AF issues, and it will lock onto anything instantaneously.

Derf
2012-04-06, 08:36 PM
Now this is what I wanted to see...someone with both bodies....Cary, can you tell us why you pic up the 7D? and what are the strong and weak points of both cameras?

ANITIX87
2012-04-06, 08:36 PM
Cary,

I don't own one, but my college roommate and my current business partner both had MkII, MkIII, and MkIV at some point so I have plenty of experience with all of them. Having said that, I don't know when the MkIII bodies I tried were bought but even with the 16-35 or the 70-200 f/2.8, they were disappointing compared even to my 50D.

Since you own one, it's very likely you have used it in a far larger variety of situations and are far more qualified to say whether it's focus is good. Therefore, Jeremy, ignore my useless commentary! Haha.

TIS

Cary
2012-04-06, 09:34 PM
Fred, I got the 7D because it was the natural upgrade for my 40D (and I had been skipping a model every upgrade (20D -> 40D -> 7D). I bought the 1DmIII specifically for one thing - to take pictures of puffins in flight, which are not easy to track. Antonis - the thing is the 1DmIII has a ton of custom function settings for AF. They need to be set up for what you want to shoot in order to get the best possible results, so I think playing with some of these settings would have helped. Although the 7D has pretty good AF, I go with my 1D if I absolutely need to make sure I nail the focus. It's the reason why all the top sport shooters go with the 1D series. Just to be clear, Jeremy is interested in my 1DmIII, but obviously I wouldn't BS about how good it is just to make a sale. I'm upgrading to a 1DmIV to squeeze out some more MP.

So, here are some pros/cons from my experience:

1DmIII
PROS: Killer AF performance, 10fps, better high ISO, better WX sealing, side shutter button, CF + SD card slots
CONS: Lower MP, lower resolution LCD

7D
PROS: Higher MP, 1.6x crop factor (if using larger lenses), video mode
CONS: Noisy (ISO 200+), hit or miss AF