PDA

View Full Version : New Look to NYCAviation!

PhilDernerJr
2012-02-20, 06:30 PM
Hey all,

Today we launched the new look of NYCAviation... http://www.nycaviation.com/. As per our article discussing it, it is our fourth site redesign since our inception back in 2003.

Some features of the new look:
- More featured article headlines are visible up high so you can see more of our exclusive articles
- Cleaner back-end makeup that allows for faster page loading!
- Category columns show you several recent articles in the areas of our Columnists, photography and aviation history.
- Matt and Phil now have a blog, where we can discuss our thoughts on the industry, share insight on NYCA and the hobby, do book reviews and talk about more casual topics
- Our Job Listings section allows people to sort through tons of jobs in the aviation industry!
- Our recent tweets now seen on the homepage allow you to see news headlines and get travel updates even if you’re not on Twitter.

Our goal is to make the NYCAviation experience an efficient and useful one that serves all of our friends, whether they are aviation enthusiasts, industry professionals, or the casual internet surfer that stumbles upon our site.

We have not yet announced this to the world outside of NYCA! Only you guys so far. If you would like to have a look, PLEASE let us know what bugs you come across, things that don't look right, and let us know honest feedback on what is good and what isn't. Do so by posting here or emailing us at [email protected]. With any technical issues, please let us know what browser you have, and if you're running windows or apple.

KNOWN issues that exist on some articles that we're already aware of:

- In articles, some large photos appear twice in the beginning.
- Some article thumbnails do no appear properly or at all (heavy database transfer still taking place)

Thanks guys and gals!

-Phil

jerslice
2012-02-20, 07:52 PM
Yes, a thousand times yes.

AirtrafficController
2012-02-20, 08:42 PM
Looks good to me. Well done job! :wink:

steve1840
2012-02-20, 09:30 PM
Phil and Matt - The new look is fantastic! Job well done guys!

gonzalu
2012-02-20, 09:49 PM
Terrific job, Phil, Matt, Jeremy and company! Looks gorgeous, modern fresh yet still very functional.

However, if I may be brutal, I feel it is still a bit laggy. Clicking on most links on the main pages take a while longer than expected. Not sure if this is theme related or back-end server related.

In any case, LOVE the new look!

Sorry, tech details:

As I do this for a living, I am used to doing things thoroughly so apologies if it is overkill :tongue:

--Testing was performed from the following platforms and browsers:
+Windows 7 Ultimate x64
-Internet Explorer 9.0.8112: Search Results as-you-type not working.
-Safari 5.1.2: Search Results as-you-type are overlaid on top of the search field, obscuring it.
-Firefox 10.0.2: No issues
-Chrome 17.0.963: Search Results as-you-type is overlaid on top of search field, obscuring it.

+iOS 5.0.1
-Safari Mobile: Similar issues as Windows Safari

+Mac OS-X 10.7 Lion
-Safari, Firefox, Chrome: Latest versions, similar experiences.

I am mailing you a test set showing a lot more raw data and performance details :-)

NIKV69
2012-02-20, 10:54 PM
I've have been having that issue for months now. A lot of times pages refuse to load and I get the ERR empty response message.

Matt Molnar
2012-02-20, 11:00 PM
Thanks guys!

Speed is not spectacular, but it IS faster than the previous design.

Matt Molnar
2012-02-20, 11:14 PM
-Internet Explorer 9.0.8112: Search Results as-you-type not working.
-Safari 5.1.2: Search Results as-you-type are overlaid on top of the search field, obscuring it.
-Firefox 10.0.2: No issues
-Chrome 17.0.963: Search Results as-you-type is overlaid on top of search field, obscuring it.

+iOS 5.0.1
-Safari Mobile: Similar issues as Windows Safari

+Mac OS-X 10.7 Lion
-Safari, Firefox, Chrome: Latest versions, similar experiences.
Thanks! I've fixed it in Safari/FF/Chrome on Mac, which usually should provide similar results in Windows. Don't have a Windows test machine so can't help the IE 9 users in that regard, but I trust the regular search and the rest of the site look fine in IE9, though. (If anyone has major problems while using IE9 let me know.)

gonzalu
2012-02-21, 12:02 AM
I've have been having that issue for months now. A lot of times pages refuse to load and I get the ERR empty response message.

You have to take OUT the ID card from your computer so that NYCA website can trust you and let you use the faster pages. Muhahaha!

Kris V
2012-02-21, 05:39 AM
A fantastic new lay out, I say this layout is much easier to use compared to the old one plus it has a nice look to it! :wink:

Art at ISP
2012-02-21, 08:58 AM
Nicely done, gentlemen.

JHNA57
2012-02-21, 10:57 AM
After the last update I had a problem with the screen cutting off the right one-third of the photos, that issue seems to have been fixed.
GOOD JOB!

megatop412
2012-02-21, 01:53 PM
You have to take OUT the ID card from your computer so that NYCA website can trust you and let you use the faster pages. Muhahaha!

LOL you're a madman Manny! I've come to label these 'ID card bombs"

moose135
2012-02-21, 02:02 PM
Looks really good guys! Great job!

NIKV69
2012-02-21, 02:58 PM

I don't have to show Phil my ID the ACLU says so!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmyE6_b_xJY

gonzalu
2012-02-21, 03:36 PM
Nick, stop twisting the facts to your benefit. I said YOUR COMPUTER, not Phil. You COMPUTER. Get back on topic :cool:

NIKV69
2012-02-21, 03:49 PM
Nick, stop twisting the facts to your benefit. I said YOUR COMPUTER, not Phil. You COMPUTER. Get back on topic :cool:

Oh you said NYCAV which is Phil, back on topic the site still refuses to load every time. It's quite annoying. ERR message every time.

PhilDernerJr
2012-02-21, 03:56 PM
Nick, we haven't gotten the complaint from anywhere else. Is it just on your 1 computer?

NIKV69
2012-02-21, 04:00 PM
Nope. Every other site I visit works fine. I am using Chrome anything I can check?

Derf
2012-02-21, 04:03 PM
It works perfect on my server, my desktop, my Laptop, my iPad, my iPhone, my TV and I just got done engraving it into a stone tablet and it looks great there too....

I am having one issue, On the Stone tablet, None of the links seem to work. Can you tell me how long until this major site bug is fixed?

gonzalu
2012-02-21, 05:10 PM
Fred, you need the Extension "Tablet Link to Real Life" and it will work... it uses the cloud and sends the chisel commands to a remote server and it carves a new page for you from the linked URL. Of course the only issue is that you have to wait for delivery... I hate the cloud!

Derf
2012-02-21, 07:08 PM
Fred, you need the Extension "Tablet Link to Real Life" and it will work... it uses the cloud and sends the chisel commands to a remote server and it carves a new page for you from the linked URL. Of course the only issue is that you have to wait for delivery... I hate the cloud!

Dammit! I hate reading fine print!

Cary
2012-02-21, 07:50 PM
It looks like the template I almost bought for one of my own websites. So, I obviously like the design :)

EDIT: Actually, it *IS* the template I almost bought. I thought it looked familiar :smile: