PDA

View Full Version : Tripod Shopping

jerslice
2012-02-01, 09:16 PM
My flimsy cheap tripod has proven itself unable to continue it's basic duty of providing stabilization for my camera. I was hoping folks here might have some personal recommendations.
It needs to be able to properly stabilize 8-10 pounds in a moderate breeze, be able to travel with, and be under $300.
Any thoughts/help would be greatly appreciated.

seahawks7757
2012-02-01, 09:42 PM
The one I got at FRY's for $160 that rings up for only $99.

megatop412
2012-02-01, 09:43 PM
I bought a Manfrotto last summer for $130 and it keeps my D90+battery grip+24-85mm nice and steady. I'm sure it would do fine if I had the 150-500mm Sigma attached also. I wouldn't go with one of those fancy carbon-fiber jobs where you need to buy the legs and head separate, that's too expensive, plus the weight you're giving up eliminates mass that would help keep the thing upright in breezy conditions.

gonzalu
2012-02-01, 09:44 PM
Jeremy sorry, you excluded me :tongue: (the $300 limit) My cheapo Gitzo GT3530LS was $795 and will be with me FOREVER... however, I still need an even heavier one for the 500mm f/4 or the 600mm f/4 if they ever come ROTFL

gonzalu
2012-02-01, 10:00 PM
You all have probably read this old article already but for those who have not, it is worth reading. I am certainly guilty of it and will never make the same mistake again.

http://bythom.com/support.htm

If you are cost conscious primarily and simply do not justify the cost of better equipment or gear, that's OK as long as you understand that there is a reason for the better gear to be better and why it is more expensive. This is not new or different in photography. Indeed every industry or any product you buy usually has more expensive and less expensive and more capable and less capable. You are ALWAYS giving up something, compromising something. I actually know why I needed the better tripod after many trial and error sessions where I proved to myself why.

Look at my Monopod... everyone who has seen it can tell it is an aluminum beast worth nothing... I am simply not able to justify the replacement of it, which will come, eventually, but I know I want/need the heavy duty lighter CF version. My first tripod was a Slik U212... wonderful little guy, but it sucked and I had to accept that it sucked when my long exposures would suck. Not getting the better tools simply because they are expensive as a justification, is not accurate. You can say you can't afford it but by no means is that equal to "it is not that great".

My current setup is a Gitzo 3530LS with a RRS BH-55LR head. It gives me close to critical sharpness on calm days for exposures lasting no more than 5 seconds at up to 200mm. At 400mm, it still lacks the rigidity I desire for critical sharpness. I will be upgrading this tripod soon to a 5 series for the extra thick legs and extra rigidity. Also look at your lens foot and don;t think it is that great. Test it and make sure it works. Otherwise you may be looking at only one component of your support combo. I typically shove a tennis ball between the head platform/lens foot and the lens body to compensate for minor vibrations. I know on photographer who uses mercury-filled bags to weigh down his rig for super long 5-10 minute exposures...

threeholerglory
2012-02-02, 02:14 AM
i have a promaster, cant remember the model but i'll find it for you...cam locks and ball head all-inclusive for $150....i've shot my 30D plus battery grip and 70-200 2.8 off it no problem...extends to MY height of 6'4" and then some, and has a hook on the center column for your bag to add ballast. I shot it with my 10-22 with one leg within millimeters of a 1000' death plummet into the grand canyon and with my bag on it (holding over $4,000 worth of equipment) i was perfectly content with the stability. It may not have the higher end components of a manfroto or gitzo, but for the money, i don't think it can be beat. If I don't fire back soon with the model, call and harass me...it's sitting in my dining room.

cancidas
2012-02-02, 07:00 AM
i bought myself a manfroto with a ball-head mount and love it! it's sturdy enough that even my parent's old mini-vhs camcorder works well with it.

i'm not sure on the model, or even how much i paid for it honestly. one thing i didn't get yet and am regretting is a bag to carry the thing in. strapping all the legs together each time is annoying.

jerslice
2012-02-05, 03:15 AM
Thanks guys, I'll look into these!

I'm really wanting a certain manfroto - but I don't think I can stomach paying that much on it :-/