PDA

View Full Version : Getting my first DSLR - Advice Needed

yankees368
2012-01-22, 10:00 PM
Hey everyone. This forum has inspired me to upgrade from a point-and-shoot super zoom (Nikon P500) to a more practical DSLR. I really don't know all that much about DSLRs yet, but I am hoping to learn a lot here. I am only working with about a $1000 budget, so I can't go that crazy. Any input would be fantastic. Thanks everyone!

threeholerglory
2012-01-22, 10:18 PM
I'd go with a Canon Rebel kit...haven't been keeping up on the models and whatnot but they're exceptional and don't let the "other guys" fool you, Canon glass is clearly superior =P

The pot has been stirred.

yankees368
2012-01-22, 10:31 PM
Thanks for the quick input. The T3i is the #1 selling DSLR on amazon right now, available with a few different lens packages. I really don't know which lenses are best for spotting. Cheapest option is 18-55mm at $712, and also some other options. Heres the link: http://www.amazon.com/Canon-T3i-Digital-Imaging-18-55mm/dp/B004J3V90Y/ref=sr_1_1?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1327285759&sr=1-1

megatop412
2012-01-22, 10:41 PM
If you can spend a little more than a grand, the Nikon D3100 and 70-300mmVR would do very nicely. If you have to stay under a grand, go with the 55-300mmVR instead. You would get a decent 18-55mm kit lens for when you're not spotting either way. Many spotters shoot Canon because of the excellent 100-400mm, but that's way over your price range anyway.

threeholerglory
2012-01-22, 10:44 PM
Sergio shoots with an older Rebel and the 70-300 from canon...good range and quality if you're shooting in decent light...he's had his fair share of photos posted to jetphotos and airliners with that combo

moose135
2012-01-22, 10:47 PM
Many spotters shoot Canon because of the excellent 100-400mm, but that's way over your price range anyway.
Today...but if you want to get it one day, buying a Nikon now won't be the right way to go.

megatop412
2012-01-22, 10:53 PM
Today...but if you want to get it one day, buying a Nikon now won't be the right way to go.

Unless he wants to wait for the 80-400mm refresh with VR that is long overdue:rolleyes:

nssd70
2012-01-22, 10:56 PM
Until just a few weeks ago, I have used the Canon 75-300 lense with a Canon Rebel XS or T3(not T3i),and have over 80 pictures on Airliners.net,and almost 100 on JetPhotos.net. If you search for Doug Lambert,you can see what the "cheaper" lense and body can do.

Doug

gonzalu
2012-01-22, 11:07 PM
You can't go wrong with Sony either... Today you get the most bang for your buck with Sony...

I would caution you when deciding between the entrenched Canon/Nikon camps because it is not always as obvious as it seems. You really will have to live with a system for some time before you know what will work for you. Some of the discussions can border on religion, and I am certainly guilty of that. But I have one advantage when I argue the point, I have been a Canon system owner/user and a Nikon system owner/user.

Nikon does NOT have a 100-400mm like Canon. It does have an 80-400mm but that is embarrassingly poor in comparison for many reasons. It will produce excellent results but will frustrate you to no end as it has old slow screw based focus tech. The Canon is also L class glass.

Nikon does NOT have inexpensive lenses in the ranges most people use such as the 70-200mm f/4 which Nikon does not offer. Look at what Mark Hsiung does with his.

Nikon Crop Sensor cameras do not match the overall MEGAPIXEL resolution of the Canon crop sensor bodies. Although 18MP and 16MP are close, it is a difference of about 170 lines of resolution.

What Nikon DOES offer to me, and why I switched back in 1986-1988 is the quality of the expensive glass. Things are more balanced today in that Canon top glass is every bit as good as Nikon's top of the line, but not back then. And still today, auto-focus capacity and ability. Nikon AF is consistently touted as the best AF there is. You DO NOT have to take my word for it, I encourage you to pour over the excellent IN DEPTH reviews at Imaging Resource and dpReview to name a couple of reputable reviewers.

Finally, ergonomics. This is simply a matter of taste. You either like one or the other, nothing fancy there. I simply can't use a Canon camera comfortably, but that's my own personal misgivings. To me, Nikon places all the controls where they make most sense to me as well as THE controls I want and where.

And one more thing, the ergonomics are not just physical ones. The digital interface and the way he controls are managed and how the menus are laid out all make a huge difference when you spend hours with your camera. It's a shame most people buy a camera based on reputation rather than whether or not it makes sense for them/to them. Either way you go, you will not be disappointed.

One thing you will quickly notice is that around here, you have years worth of photographic and equipment experience to help you through the decision and the bumps :cool:

threeholerglory
2012-01-22, 11:28 PM
I agree with Manny, as always. Just remember, no one can tell the difference between a standard Nikon lens and a Canon EFS lens (both black). If/when you get an L series lens for spotting, with few exceptions, you will be noticed as having L glass from the white coating. Kinda like flashing your Ferarri around...or something like that =P

But seriously, even though I shoot Canon and swear by it, Nikon has a tremendous lineup. Test em out and see what ya like!

steve1840
2012-01-23, 12:00 AM
The Rebel lineup with Canon and the 3100 for Nikon are good entry level DSLRs. I started out with a Canon Rebel XTi before making the jump up to a full frame camera. As Manny has pointed out, that while each manufacturer has their own things that make them both excellent, it will all come down to what you feel comfortable with and what you feel gives you the shot you are looking for. For me, I always used Canon, even back when I had a film Canon. I have tried shooting with my friends Nikons before I made my FF purchase and just did not like the feel of the camera in my hands. Definitely get a little hands on with all of these bodies at your local store such as Best Buy and see what feels good to you.

yankees368
2012-01-23, 12:16 AM
Oh boy did I poke the bear. I will have to take a hard look at all the choices. Anyone want to show me the ropes at Bestbuy after a round at Panera? haha

gonzalu
2012-01-23, 01:45 AM
I agree with Manny, as always. Just remember, no one can tell the difference between a standard Nikon lens and a Canon EFS lens (both black). If/when you get an L series lens for spotting, with few exceptions, you will be noticed as having L glass from the white coating. Kinda like flashing your Ferarri around...or something like that =P

But seriously, even though I shoot Canon and swear by it, Nikon has a tremendous lineup. Test em out and see what ya like!

Actually, Mike --and I know you know this-- Canon L glass is identified by the Red Band around the collar as the white lineup is really only from Telephoto and up. Your wide angle and prime lenses up to about 100mm are also black yet sport L construction.

Nikon similarly uses a Gold band (ring) on their top of the line AF-S lenses now with Nano Coating and a lot more with Aspherical elements which are a sign of better optical construction.

One other advantage Nikon has right now is their Nano Coating (which some may think is insignificant, but I assure you, it is huge) and an 1.7x matched teleconverter which is a good compromise between 1.4x and 2.0x TCs.

I am NOT trying to convince you to go Nikon vs. Canon. I really think you should stick to whatever you are already used to since you have had a Canon before. The D3100 should not be considered over the more expensive D5100 simply because of Pixel Count. Makes a difference in the end .. If your budget allows, get an 18MP body.

yankees368
2012-02-12, 06:44 PM
It looks like I have settled, at least for now, on the Nikon D5100. There is a bundle at Costco that comes with 18-55mm and 55-300mm lenses for $999. Does anyone have any experience with this camera? Thanks again.
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11659644&search=d5100&topnav=&Mo=0&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&N=5000043&whse=BC&Dx=mode%20matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ne=4000000&D=d5100&Ntt=d5100&No=0&Nty=1&Ntx=mode%20matchallpartial

NIKV69
2012-02-12, 07:07 PM
Welcome to the Nikon community. The 5100 is a nice camera to start with so enjoy it. Learn about DSLRs and making good images and start saving you pennies. You are going to need it!

yankees368
2012-02-12, 07:15 PM
Thankfully, it is a birthday/graduation/took the bar exam/christmas gift, so no pennies needed. That costco package looks hard to beat, so I might have to go with that. Best part is I don't even have to leave their parking lot to begin spotting with it!

NIKV69
2012-02-12, 07:21 PM
so no pennies needed.

Uh oh, sounds like someone doesn't have any idea what they are getting into! :biggrin:

yankees368
2012-02-12, 07:40 PM
clearly I don't. :-)

moose135
2012-02-12, 08:24 PM
clearly I don't. :-)
Wider Lens
Longer Lens
Faster Glass
Camera Bag
Tripod
External Flash