PDA

View Full Version : Advice on camera repair?

mirrodie
2012-01-11, 02:49 PM
So I have to fix my 17-85 IS lens looked at.

Should I just send to Canon In NJ?

OR are there local reputable dealers that I can expect an expedient and
similarly priced repair from?

The last time I had an issue with my 100-400 IS, I took it into Canon, in NJ for repair and I drove it in.

With this lens, I dont want to take a drive and want to try avoid mailing unless strongly advised otehrwise.

advice please?

NIKV69
2012-01-11, 02:54 PM
I don't let anyone but the manufacturer touch my stuff. New headquarters in Melville won't be done for a few more months huh?

Nothing wrong with mailing it to NJ IMO.

Derf
2012-01-11, 03:07 PM
I agree with Nick, I would let nobody else touch my optics

mirrodie
2012-01-11, 03:39 PM
I did a quick search online and agree, gonna mail it in.

But Fred, I want to TOUCH your optics. I want to be YOUR eye doctor! ;) I am very gentle.

mirrodie
2012-01-11, 03:58 PM
Or I can do it myself (the repair)

http://www.doekle.nl/canon_17_85_IS_repair.html

Oh, dear, I'll stick to the eyes!

Derf
2012-01-11, 04:31 PM
I did a quick search online and agree, gonna mail it in.

But Fred, I want to TOUCH your optics. I want to be YOUR eye doctor! ;) I am very gentle.

Do not talk dirty to me!!!

mirrodie
2012-02-19, 10:20 AM
I sent my lens into Canon earlier this week. On Monday.

I received it yesterday and my lens, a five year old Canon 17 – 85 mm IS lens, was fixed for free!!

I sent them both the camera body and the lens. The lens came back looking so pristine new that I thought it was new. The camera body was clean it appears as well.

In my opinion, Canon gets the highest marks. I told them that I wasn't sure how old the lens was. But they did it as a warrantee repair.

...Meanwhile I'm fighting Honda on a mirror issue that falls within their structured warranty. And I have to go to corporate now. At least some companies still deliver remarkable service.....

Derf
2012-02-19, 10:57 AM
Awesome....very happy to hear Canon is working on keeping customers. Very Good to hear!