PDA

View Full Version : LAX 1/7/12

jerslice
2012-01-09, 01:19 AM
was spotting at lax and was approached twice in a 5 minute period (paraphrase to the basic point):
One: Pair of cops in a squad car pull up and start to chat, wondering what we're up to. A few minutes the pair was on their way. Nice and easy.
Two:
Officer: evening, what are you guys doing?
Us: taking pictures of the planes...
Officer: we'll, you know its not illegal but with security and everything...
*long pause as he clearly wants us to volunteer to leave and we just stare back at him*
well, you know people can see you and they will call you in to report you...
Us: that's why we are set back a bit, to make it so folks dont see us as easily, but like you said, it isn't illegal and we have no problem explaining to folks what we are up to - we know how it can look
Officer: we'll with security and all I don't know that it's such a good idea to be here...but it's not illegal.
Us: ok, well...
Officer: yeah...well, have a good night, but don't be surprised if you get another visit.

It was easily the most passive-aggressive police encounter I've ever had...it wasnt really positive or negative, mostly just odd and awkward

AA757
2012-01-09, 08:11 AM
I mean Jeremy you really do not look like a threat...... Most people I think get nervous when they see the large lens's........

At least you were not told to leave

Rich B

steve1840
2012-01-09, 08:26 AM
Jeremy, that actually sounded like one of the best encounters ever. I wonder how many more times you could have gotten him to say "its not illegal"....:tongue:

eric8669
2012-01-09, 08:34 AM
Where exactly were you guys shooting from?

gonzalu
2012-01-09, 09:57 AM
Jeremy, if you would just shave your beard, you'd look less like a threat :tongue:

NIKV69
2012-01-09, 10:29 AM
Where exactly were you guys shooting from?

Me thinks it wasn't Imperial Hill. :biggrin:

LAX police are pretty cool. My encounters have always been awesome. Sounds like it was a slow day for em and they were making work.

eric8669
2012-01-09, 11:02 AM
Me thinks it wasn't Imperial Hill. :biggrin:

LAX police are pretty cool. My encounters have always been awesome. Sounds like it was a slow day for em and they were making work.

of all the times I've been out to LA, I've only had a couple of encounters and they have always been good. nothing ever at Imperial Hill.

jerslice
2012-01-09, 11:32 AM
Yeah, I mean in retrospect the first one was definitely positive (they were very friendly)...the second one was positive in the sense that he didn't push us around, but the passive-aggressive thing was definitely odd!
I'll take both though!

NIKV69
2012-01-09, 11:59 AM
of all the times I've been out to LA, I've only had a couple of encounters and they have always been good. nothing ever at Imperial Hill.

I know it was sarcasm. It's obvious it wasn't the hill and that Jeremy left out that detail for a reason.

the second one was positive in the sense that he didn't push us around, but the passive-aggressive thing was definitely odd!

Probably just trying to save himself work in the future, LAX is so low key though so it's par for the course.

seahawks7757
2012-01-16, 03:14 PM
I think it was more like 90 seconds lol, first cop was literally just going down the ramp when the other one poped up on the ramp lol. Funny I go from 0 encounters in my last 2 visits to 2 in such a short period on my third lol. But will still go back there again.