PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Winter Classic Fly By

Gerard
2012-01-02, 07:53 PM
Today was the 2012 NHL Winter Classic in Philadelphia, Pa. and as Patti Labelle was finishing a ROUSING verson of the Star Spangled Banner
the camera zoomed in on 2 F-18s as they were banking in for their final approach for the Fly By!! What a great shot that was. Then they flipped to a wide shot showing the 2 fighters coming in from centerfield roaring over the crowd LOUDLY!! And then a final look from above (Blimp I guess) of the 2 Hornets racing low across the landscape!! Not sure who was directing but they did an excellent job!! Maybe a spotter? LOL! And the sell-out crowd totally enjoyed it.
And PS - watching the Jets yesterday and I caught a quick look of what looked to be a FlyBy of 4 vintage aircraft. They had red stars on their sides. Anyone see this?

megatop412
2012-01-02, 09:05 PM
Ahh, so that's the reason for those fast movers shaking my house in south Jersey while my woman and I were trying to watch Captain America!

Ychocky
2012-01-03, 01:27 PM
That was a sick flyover. Was not expecting that.

Shame my Flyers couldn't get the W. The refs really tried to help us even! Rangers look real strong, organized, tough team to beat.

PhilDernerJr
2012-01-04, 12:44 PM
A good flyby it was! Well-timed, and yes, they actually do have people that stand in the rafters of the stadiums with a radio, guiding/timing the planes, and they are called spotters.

And yes, the Rangers are lookin good....really impressing me.

NIKV69
2012-01-04, 12:54 PM
That was a sick flyover. Was not expecting that.

Shame my Flyers couldn't get the W. The refs really tried to help us even! Rangers look real strong, organized, tough team to beat.

Missed the flyby but saw on tape those calls and I have to say the NHL should be embarrassed. That was no doubt a calculated move to force overtime and shootout. I mean really. Henrik had to save the day.

megatop412
2012-01-04, 01:44 PM
Missed the flyby but saw on tape those calls and I have to say the NHL should be embarrassed. That was no doubt a calculated move to force overtime and shootout. I mean really. Henrik had to save the day.

Philly's a wierd town when it comes to sports. How Lurie is letting Andy Reid keep his job as Eagles coach after this season is beyond comprehension.

USAF Pilot 07
2012-01-04, 06:23 PM
Philly's a wierd town when it comes to sports.

You can say that again. Try living all around them...

Gerard
2012-01-05, 07:57 PM
A good flyby it was! Well-timed, and yes, they actually do have people that stand in the rafters of the stadiums with a radio, guiding/timing the planes, and they are called spotters

Actually Phil I meant that the person who was directing the TV coverage of the FlyBy was a spotter because of the way he
gave the jets great airtime. But thanks for the other info. I had heard that before and some years back during a PD
FlyBy at an officers funeral I was close enough to hear an aviation officer at the funeral talking to the circling aircraft
guiding/timing the copters.

Gerard
2012-01-05, 08:01 PM
Philly's a wierd town when it comes to sports. How Lurie is letting Andy Reid keep his job as Eagles coach after this season is beyond comprehension.

Story today how a couple of Flyer fans beat the crap out of a Ranger fan and his son. The Ranger fan was an off-duty NJ cop.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/goon-flyers-fan-brags-beat-n-article-1.1001211

Gerard
2012-01-22, 09:17 PM
Rather than start a new Sports Flyover thread..... after Steven Tylers rather "spirited" :confused: version of the National Anthem a nice C-5 Galaxy from Westover Air Base
flew a flyover at Gillette Stadium. Kudos to CBS showing below and above footage of the flyover. And the crew of the C-5 put "GO PATS" on the belly.

GrummanFan
2012-01-22, 10:22 PM
Saw this photo on Westover's facebook page... saa-weet!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/404410_10150551174187884_273805187883_8748023_8914 24573_n.jpg

January 22, 2012

A Westover C-5 successfully completed its training and the flyover just before the kickoff for the New England Patriots vs. Baltimore Ravens football game at Gillette Stadium.

(U.S. Air Force photo/SrA. Kelly Galloway)