PDA

View Full Version : Any Types you avoid?

Ari707
2011-12-21, 12:18 PM
When booking a flight is there any aircraft type you avoid for what ever reason, comfort, safety. My wife avoids A330's after the AF crash,

megatop412
2011-12-21, 12:28 PM
After USAir 427 I avoided 737's like the plague until they replaced the rudder servo units. Yes there are a million other things that can go wrong but that didn't matter to me.

Ari707
2011-12-21, 12:36 PM
My wife is the same even though there are thousands of A330 flights a day she is booking a trip on AF and is trying to work around theirs she prefers their B777's

steve1840
2011-12-21, 12:47 PM
I try to avoid CRJs on flights longer than 1.5hrs, and whenever flying USAirways I avoid any flight connecting through LGa after the "miracle on the hudson" crash. I know that that was a fluke and a birdstrike can happen anywhere, but that event just left me unsettled about LGA.

NIKV69
2011-12-21, 12:57 PM
That crash was pilot error and had nothing to do with the aircraft. In fact the 330 is probably the only Airbus I would fly.

steve1840
2011-12-21, 01:01 PM
That crash was pilot error and had nothing to do with the aircraft. In fact the 330 is probably the only Airbus I would fly.

Pilot error or not, some people just associate an aircraft involved in an incident with they rest of that type of aircraft. My mother for one hates flying anything with the airbus name just because she didn't like the way ONE that she flew on sounded. Me personally, I don't mind flying them, and will be getting her over that when she goes with me and my kids to Florida this year on JetBlue.

Derf
2011-12-21, 01:06 PM
I do not get on any airplane unless I know they use 100% Colubian coffee.

RDU-JFK
2011-12-21, 01:56 PM
I'll try and avoid the 757-300 if I can just in case I wind up in one of the back rows; not a pleasant ride in some turbulence due to tail-wagging effect (minor Dutch roll effect?). Agree with Steve's comments on the CRJ for longer flights. Not a fan of DL's MD-88s either. For some reason I always notice steeper altitude changes more in the Mad Dawgs than other aircraft. As far as props I'll avoid the Brasilia if I can; would rather fly on a Dash 8, Saab 340 or the 1900D. But if the price is right I'll fly anything with wings!

Re the A330 I flew one from LAX to Tokyo and back on DL and from Rome to JFK on AZ. Nice ride on both but I admit I was apprehensive at first.

NIKV69
2011-12-21, 02:25 PM
Pilot error or not, some people just associate an aircraft involved in an incident with they rest of that type of aircraft. My mother for one hates flying anything with the airbus name just because she didn't like the way ONE that she flew on sounded. Me personally, I don't mind flying them, and will be getting her over that when she goes with me and my kids to Florida this year on JetBlue.

Tru though I don't think you never drive a Ford since the Pinto was a death trap.

To answer the OP question after the A300 was done with pax service there isn't much I wouldn't fly.

steve1840
2011-12-21, 02:40 PM
Tru though I don't think you never drive a Ford since the Pinto was a death trap.

I generally stay away from Fords, pretty much because they are Fords....:tongue: sorry Kaz....

Ari707
2011-12-21, 04:21 PM
She actually booked a RT on Open skies for about the same price (with-in $100) as coach on most other airlines
I told her I want a full report

steve1840
2011-12-21, 04:29 PM
Is Open Skies one of those "All First Class" airlines?

yankees368
2011-12-21, 05:17 PM
I try to not fly on aircraft which I know will be retired to sold soon. This applies to the DC9s on Delta, as well as the Comair CRJ100s. I just feel that they will defer maintenance since they are selling/scrapping them very soon. Also, I hate MD-8x's. Not one single time have I had a flight on a Delta MD-88 without some mechanical issue. Air conditioner broken, pilots seat broke (!), etc. Never had a good flight on an MD-88.

cancidas
2011-12-21, 05:35 PM
the Saab 340. an airplane should never, EVER, under any circumstances vibrate more than a helicopter.

aside from that i try to avoid CRJ-200s and EMB-145s. unless i'm in the exit row my knees just won't fit.

tlabranche
2011-12-21, 05:43 PM
After working on jets in the military for eight years, and working for an airline for the past 10; there isn't any plane that I avoid for safety reasons. Three letters come to mind: M.E.L. The minimum equipment list, or deferred mechanical items, can be quite extensive on a commercial airliner and really really long on a military jet. I tend to shy away from regional airlines due to the less experienced flight crews and the brutal flight hours per day they put in.

shoturtle
2011-12-21, 05:56 PM
I do not avoid planes, as pretty much every plane except the 787 and 747-8 have been in some accident. I avoid the EU blacklist airlines.

yankees368
2011-12-21, 05:59 PM
I tend to shy away from regional airlines due to the less experienced flight crews and the brutal flight hours per day they put in.

Agreed! I always try to catch a mainline flight JFK <-> DTW. Half are mainline, the rest are regional. The regionals are so much more likely to be cancelled or delayed to get a mainline flight out on time. And yea, we know how over worked those pilots are, its scary.

PhilDernerJr
2011-12-21, 06:37 PM
I won't fly Beechcraft 1900s, and I will never fly on a Russian-made aircraft, or any aircraft that belongs to a nation whose maintenance I do not trust (ie: Russia).

lijk604
2011-12-21, 07:11 PM
I have not avoided any specific aircraft to this point. I'm not happy if I have to take a CRJ100/200 (poor window positioning, cramped feeling), but I will fly on it, provided like Phil mentioned, it's a carrier/country that I trust.

jerslice
2011-12-21, 11:52 PM
I’m never bothered enough that I won’t fly anything, but the MD80 & A330 both conjure up memories after their respective incidents (AS off LAX & AF off Brazil) that leave me a bit un-nerved. Ultimately both successfully perform thousands of flights per day with some of the best and worst airlines around the world, so there really isn’t anything to worry about. In my early days though I used to be terrified of flying, and the manifestations of that fear the stuff of legend to folks who knew me. Examples: I vaguely remember catching bits of pieces of same made-for-TV movie focused on a plane crash in the mid-90’s that had a DC-10 in it. I managed to convince my parents, who for some reason always assumed I knew best when it came airplanes (still do, but now I can confirm I actually do know best of our family), not to take any flights for the family on DC-10’s for a few years. This wasn’t the start of my fear, but it sure as hell didn’t help it. I was also terrified of any apparent mechanical defect I thought the plane had. I remember flying a Delta Express 737-200 MCO-BDL and seeing a screw on a panel on the wing vibrating in place at altitude. I now know that it was no big deal, but it had me scared ****less the whole flight. On another there was a crack in the little ceiling panel with the air and lights on a Saab340 ORH-EWR. I ended up delaying the flight 20 minutes in the process of putting up a stink about the skin being compromised (I was maybe 9; didn’t occur to me that the ceiling panel wasn’t directly connected to the skin). I would get panicky and sick to my stomach a full day before any flight, often to the point of actually throwing up. While my gate-delaying phase was over by 10 and the vomit phase was largely over by 12, I continued having butterflies in my stomach well into my teens – and after every crash if I flew on that type I’d have to calmly settle myself down at the gate and on the plane. While it improved considerably year over year, I’d say it wasn’t until I was 19 or 20 when I could finally say I was over it. And to think now I’ve flown on planes that I can see through the floor of...crazy.

seahawks7757
2011-12-22, 03:54 AM
Honestly, I look at what it takes to get a plane certified, it's not something that happens overnight. So honestly almost any plane that fly's I'm willing to get on, now the airline that operates it, that's a whole other discussion. Though I do prefer Boeing, I'll gladly ride on a bus if I must to get where I'm going.

seahawks7757
2011-12-22, 03:55 AM
I tend to shy away from regional airlines due to the less experienced flight crews and the brutal flight hours per day they put in.

And for some regionals that is a bad assumption, I mean look at QX, the left seat you have to have put in at least 10 years to even think about sitting in it.

Spunker
2011-12-22, 10:11 AM
I don't shy away from any aircraft, but, as Brandon mentioned the operator is another story. I worked quite alot for regionals and believe me they are some of the best. I would fly a Dash 8 anywhere!
Gene

gonzalu
2011-12-22, 10:43 AM
I do not get on any airplane unless I know they use 100% Colubian coffee.

Now that's the ticket!!! Too bad it is that crappy drip stuff... Let's have some Espresso on board!!

megatop412
2011-12-22, 12:02 PM
I won't fly Beechcraft 1900s, and I will never fly on a Russian-made aircraft, or any aircraft that belongs to a nation whose maintenance I do not trust (ie: Russia).

Phil I take it you're a no-go for the Air Koryo tour in May?:biggrin:

Ari707
2011-12-22, 01:17 PM
Is Open Skies one of those "All First Class" airlines?

Yes British Airway owns it all business 757's 12 flat beds in front 72 biz seats in back, EWR-ORY
great deal

steve1840
2011-12-22, 01:31 PM
Yes British Airway owns it all business 757's 12 flat beds in front 72 biz seats in back, EWR-ORY
great deal

Niiiiice! What kind of a price did she get on that?

PhilDernerJr
2011-12-22, 05:43 PM
Phil I take it you're a no-go for the Air Koryo tour in May?:biggrin:

Haha, that's right.

hiss srq
2011-12-22, 06:33 PM
Southwest and 70 or less seaters with exception to turboprops.

PhilDernerJr
2011-12-22, 07:01 PM
Southwest and 70 or less seaters with exception to turboprops.

May I ask why to Southwest? Just competition?

NIKV69
2011-12-22, 07:18 PM
May I ask why to Southwest? Just competition?

Wouldn't be those pesky holes that pop up in the fuselages would it? :smile:

AJ
2011-12-22, 07:22 PM
In 2006 I flew Alliance Air 737-200 within India. We landed so hard in New Delhi I was expecting to hear the brakes scrapping on the runway, we actually landed (bounced) 3 times (no joke) and the interior hadn't been worked on since the 70's, I expected the same for maintenance. As a commercial pilot, not much scares me anymore. I have learned that no matter what you are flying, if the weather is bad, your odds get worse. I have also learned to stay with the big boys, I prefer Star Alliance, but the others work just as good, SkyTeam, One World, they've been vetted and must maintain certain standards. But who are we kidding, as airplane geeks, there is nothing better than trying a new airline and a new airliner type.

Kidding aside, stay away from ANY Indonesian carrier.

http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc414/A777J/IMG_1057.jpg

AJ

moose135
2011-12-22, 09:04 PM
...we actually landed (bounced) 3 times (no joke)...
Pilot probably needed 3 landings for currency requirements. :rolleyes:

AJ
2011-12-22, 10:41 PM
Actually the landing was at night, IMC with a VOR approach. Yea, he was good for another 6 months!

hiss srq
2011-12-23, 12:05 AM
@Phil... No, I am a spoiled. XM and Live TV or a first class seat to sleep in or I am driving. LOL

Ari707
2011-12-23, 01:56 PM
Niiiiice! What kind of a price did she get on that? about $1500 RT

viapanam
2011-12-24, 08:43 PM
I will avoid the 757 when possible, although I am not fanatical about it. I just think it is the most passenger unfriendly plane Boeing has made. Too many passengers / rows in a single aisle configuration. On the flip side, I love the 767. I fly it to Europe frequently, and in coach it is about as good as coach gets.

mirrodie
2011-12-25, 09:15 PM
$1500 is a great price. Bene!

NIKV69
2011-12-25, 09:21 PM
I will avoid the 757 when possible, although I am not fanatical about it. I just think it is the most passenger unfriendly plane Boeing has made. Too many passengers / rows in a single aisle configuration. On the flip side, I love the 767. I fly it to Europe frequently, and in coach it is about as good as coach gets.

Very true. Def a plane designed with the pilots in mind and not pax comfort.

PhilDernerJr
2011-12-25, 09:35 PM
I don't quite see how the amount of rows in front of or behind you can affect your own comfort. The airlines pick the configs and it's otherwise the same as any 737 or mid-size Airbus. If anything, the 757 being so overpowere makes its performance better for passengers in getting to certain destinations and so forth.

Gerard
2011-12-26, 04:16 PM
I will never fly on a Russian-made aircraft, or any aircraft that belongs to a nation whose maintenance I do not trust (ie: Russia).

http://www.shephardmedia.com/news/rotorhub/utair-suspends-mi-26-operations/

PhilDernerJr
2011-12-27, 01:09 PM
I also will never fly Kuwaiti Airways.

Ari707
2011-12-28, 01:09 PM
Heard on the news this morning that 2011 was the safest year for Air travel but they also noted that Russian build planes are 7 times more likely to crash than western build planes.

PhilDernerJr
2011-12-28, 01:45 PM
As expected. Which news source? I'd like to quote it.

moose135
2011-12-28, 02:15 PM
I also will never fly Kuwaiti Airways.
Because you can't get liquored up on board? :biggrin:

PhilDernerJr
2011-12-28, 02:21 PM
Let's just say I know someone associated with their operation who makes me worried about their entire airline as a result. haha

Ari707
2011-12-28, 07:47 PM
Heard on the news this morning that 2011 was the safest year for Air travel but they also noted that Russian build planes are 7 times more likely to crash than western build planes.

sorry for the delay in my response I heard it on WCBS 880 am this morning in the business report.

Gerard
2011-12-28, 08:55 PM

Phil, Google "Unsafe Russian Airlines", get comfortable and read on...........

AJ
2012-01-08, 07:44 PM
I know this is the wrong place but I cannot resist. As a Giants fan and after consuming a few beers, I would totally avoid the Jetblue J E T S plane.

Anyway, who's the official carrier for the Giants? Continental/United? Lets go, we need a Giants plane.

Sorry.

AJ

Matt Molnar
2012-01-08, 10:55 PM
United is the official airline of the Giants. They don't seem interested in doing special liveries these days, unfortunately.

(For years prior to the merger, Continental was the official airline sponsor, though the team actually flew on United charters.)

Personally, I won't board anything with <2 engines unless absolutely necessary.

Matt Molnar
2012-01-08, 11:00 PM
That stat about Russian aircraft is sobering, but here's a scarier one which partially influences my short "avoid" list:

You are 9 times more likely to die in a GA aircraft than in a car.

steve1840
2012-01-08, 11:32 PM
I know this is the wrong place but I cannot resist. As a Giants fan and after consuming a few beers, I would totally avoid the Jetblue J E T S plane.

Anyway, who's the official carrier for the Giants? Continental/United? Lets go, we need a Giants plane.

Sorry.

AJ

Not to get off topic, but I have to agree with AJ here. Not in the fact that I would avoid the jetblue JETS plane, but that there should be a Giants logo plane. I can see why jetblue would brand one of their planes with huge letters that spell JETS, but it would be nice to see someone (and I hate to say this) like Delta since they are the largest carrier in the New York area brand one of their planes with the Giants name. Heck, Delta already has the appropriate colors, and putting Giants logos on one of their planes may actually make it look good. And being a Dolphins fan myself (yeah, hahaha I know we suck) it would be nice to see their logo on a plane. Heck, AA is their official carrier and AA has one of its larger hubs in MIA, so I think that would be a nice tribute.

Rant done..

TSGSpotting
2012-01-11, 09:57 PM
I have a very general no fly list:
United (No reason, just can't stand it)
Russian Airlines
Saabs and Brasilias

FlyDeltaJets
2012-01-12, 10:41 PM
There is no need to avoid any type as the safest plane flown by the safest airline with the safest crew can still be the one.

mirrodie
2012-01-12, 11:19 PM
ditto Gotham..

Which is why I never took up my pilots license.

Gerard
2012-04-02, 08:10 PM

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/01/siberia-plane-crash_n_1395579.html

SR-71 Blackbird
2012-04-16, 12:36 AM

I disagree about the Miracle on the Hudson Being Pilot error. Please explain on how was the Miracle on the Hudson, pilot error?

SR-71 Blackbird
2012-04-16, 01:15 AM
When booking a flight is there any aircraft type you avoid for what ever reason, comfort, safety.

I associate a Boeing 747 to one incident/crash and will not fly on one. I know incidents can happen on any aircraft but I wouldnt feel comfortable being on a 747 right now but mabye in the future I will get on one. Who knows, mabye I'll fly one.

megatop412
2012-04-16, 10:23 AM
I disagree about the Miracle on the Hudson Being Pilot error. Please explain on how was the Miracle on the Hudson, pilot error?

He was referring to the 1st post on this thread referring to the Air France crash

stratoduck
2012-04-16, 08:42 PM
OK, time for me to weigh in here. My no-fly list would include:

Anything with a Garrett turboprop - the noise is just deafening.
BAE J31 and the Embraer Bandeirante - single engine performance is marginal, as was the design
Russian regional service - the international service is fair and so is the safety record, but not regionally
Certain African and Indonesian carriers - though Garuda has made great improvements recently
Iran Air - their old aircraft have a terrible safety record
Early Taylorcraft and Great Lakes aircraft - they were built with 1030 plain steel tubing and not 4130 chromoly
Various homebuilt aircraft - some YES, others NO WAY

Anything else that is maintained, and flown my a competent pilot, generally yes.

SR-71 Blackbird
2012-04-17, 02:07 AM
He was referring to the 1st post on this thread referring to the Air France crash

O, ok sorry, mabye I didnt read his right.