PDA

View Full Version : Airspace closure during Zuccotti Park raid?

Vidiot
2011-11-22, 09:27 PM
It was widely reported that the NYPD closed the airspace over Lower Manhattan last week during the raid on the Occupy Wall Street encampment in Zuccotti Park.

However, I don't believe NYPD would have that authority, and that airspace closures would be determined by the FAA. According to the FAA's PAO as quoted in the Columbia Journalism Review (http://www.cjr.org/campaign_desk/did_the_nypd_close_airspace.php), the FAA received no such request from the city, and the airspace never was closed. WNBC later tweeted that their helicopter pilot "misunderstood directions from the tower."

Which tower would a chopper pilot over Lower Manhattan be speaking to, and would these communications be archived on LiveATC? I would love to hear exactly what the pilots were or were not told.

And, in a larger sense, how does ATC generally coordinate law enforcement helo activity with press helicopters and other air traffic? I've seen my share of car-chase video in LA with several choppers above the scene, and I wonder if "see and avoid" is sufficient, or if particular altitudes are assigned, or what.

Gerard
2011-11-22, 10:18 PM
It was widely reported that the NYPD closed the airspace over Lower Manhattan last week during the raid on the Occupy Wall Street encampment in Zuccotti Park.
However, I don't believe NYPD would have that authority, and that airspace closures would be determined by the FAA. According to the FAA's PAO as quoted in the Columbia Journalism Review (http://www.cjr.org/campaign_desk/did_the_nypd_close_airspace.php), the FAA received no such request from the city, and the airspace never was closed. WNBC later tweeted that their helicopter pilot "misunderstood directions from the tower."
Which tower would a chopper pilot over Lower Manhattan be speaking to, and would these communications be archived on LiveATC? I would love to hear exactly what the pilots were or were not told.
And, in a larger sense, how does ATC generally coordinate law enforcement helo activity with press helicopters and other air traffic? I've seen my share of car-chase video in LA with several choppers above the scene, and I wonder if "see and avoid" is sufficient, or if particular altitudes are assigned, or what.

From what I know (and have listened to) usually the first ENG copter on scene will contact ATC and establish itself over the scene. As the other copters arrive they will contact ATC then all will work the ENG frequency (123.025) and talk to each other. These pilots all know each other and from what I hear they play well together. And for the most part unless its some type of chase they work in a steady hover at a certain altitude. If PD shows up they will select an altitude and orbit the scene. They also listen in to the ENG freq as well as numerous others. And I have read in a few articles that the newscopters here in the NYC area have a pretty good working relationship with both the Aviation unit and ATC and egos are checked at the door. I believe if need be PD can ask for the airspace to be closed especially if its a dangerous situation like maybe a hostage situation. But this would come from the Incident Commander on the ground relaying to the PD helo who would talk to ATC.

emshighway
2011-11-23, 04:45 PM
I heard ATC asked them to come out of the area ten were let back in because they lost radar track on them and wanted to re-establish it to keep those buzzards from getting in the way of other traffic.

Gerard
2011-11-23, 07:56 PM
I heard ATC asked them to come out of the area ten were let back in because they lost radar track on them and wanted to re-establish it to keep those buzzards from getting in the way of other traffic.

Mmmm at that time of night not sure how much air traffic there was "getting in the way".

val_b
2011-11-26, 01:29 PM
it sure created delays..

Gerard
2011-11-26, 03:30 PM
it sure created delays..

Where? :confused:

PhilDernerJr
2011-11-26, 03:46 PM
Yeah, I don't believe it caused any delays at all.