PDA

View Full Version : Proposal to build an aviation museum in Flushing Meadows Park

Matt Molnar
2011-11-12, 01:52 AM
A Queens woman proposes filling the old Worlds Fair NY State Pavilion with planes and turning it into an aviation museum. Then, there's the question of where to get at least $50 million to pay for it. (That's her estimate. I think it would cost much more than that.)

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/queens/plans-pitched-turn-landmark-york-state-pavilion-multi-million-dollar-air-museum-article-1.976336

Of course, I'm all for it. NYC doesn't get much credit for its contributions to aerospace, and a museum could help rectify that. As far as I know, the Intrepid doesn't do anything in that regard.

But, I'm also cynical of any such deal involving the government, so I don't give it a good shot of happening.

majormajor42
2011-11-12, 10:25 AM
Meanwhile the Intrepid wants to build a new multimillion $ home for the Enterprise.

gonzalu
2011-11-12, 12:39 PM
Well, if they play it like Smithsonian with the split downtown and Udvar-Hazy it could work. Now that the 7 train is being extended to Jacob Javits, it would be a short walk to the subway and then from subway to museum... not a far fetched idea. The city could pitch in and contribute half the money with matching from local big business like the Mets and American/Delta/United nearby.