PDA

View Full Version : Hovering A330

Matt Molnar
2011-11-06, 02:09 PM
During a display at Farnborough circa 1994.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jz957KRXzQ

Derf
2011-11-06, 02:35 PM
Major pucker factor..... WOW!

gonzalu
2011-11-07, 12:36 AM
Sweet!! Pays to be light on weight :tongue:

cancidas
2011-11-07, 12:42 AM
wow is right, i haven't seen that done with anything bigger than a Pitts!!

seahawks7757
2011-11-07, 08:21 PM
Nice, now kick in the burners and do the 3 mile climb.

Spunker
2011-11-08, 10:18 AM
In this configuration, how close do you think he is to a stall?

yankees368
2011-11-08, 11:40 AM
Oh man I wish this wasn't shot on a Nokia from 2006!

Derf
2011-11-08, 12:07 PM
In this configuration, how close do you think he is to a stall?

It is an airbus, it can not stall! Alfa Floor will not allow the aircraft to get into an unsafe situation and will not let a wing stall. He can fly it by holding the stick in his lap and using power to determine alt. It is very easy on an airbus as the computer is doing all the work!

PhilDernerJr
2011-11-08, 01:57 PM
Nice, now kick in the burners and do the 3 mile climb.

HAHA! Airliner hating, are we? haha

NIKV69
2011-11-08, 02:25 PM
It is an airbus, it can not stall! Alfa Floor will not allow the aircraft to get into an unsafe situation and will not let a wing stall. He can fly it by holding the stick in his lap and using power to determine alt. It is very easy on an airbus as the computer is doing all the work!

794_1179210940

Derf
2011-11-08, 02:41 PM
Nick, this is a great example of Alpha Floor. The aircraft would not let the pilot pull up into a stall situation.. Your example was also good in showing a failure for the flight crew to stay at the 100 feet it was suppose to during this maneuver. The engines did not spool up until it was hitting the trees.

There is a lot of controversy over the Airbus aircraft going into the trees...the only thing that is not a controversy is the fact that the aircraft handled the situation well, it was the pilots or the engine controls that did not add power....depending on who you ask.

seahawks7757
2011-11-08, 02:43 PM
HAHA! Airliner hating, are we? haha

Ah not really, would be something cool to see on a commercial aircraft, something different lol

Ychocky
2011-11-08, 04:10 PM
That was sick. Lovely weather I see.

Matt Molnar
2011-11-08, 05:22 PM
That was sick. Lovely weather I see.
That weather actually helped that maneuver, I'm sure. The uploader notes there was a 20 knot headwind at the time.

NIKV69
2011-11-08, 06:33 PM
That weather actually helped that maneuver, I'm sure. The uploader notes there was a 20 knot headwind at the time.

Oh yea on the days at IFP when the winds are 35MPH we watch the arrivals land in that headwind. It looks like they just hover and drop like a feather.

PhilDernerJr
2011-11-08, 06:59 PM
Nick, this is a great example of Alpha Floor. The aircraft would not let the pilot pull up into a stall situation.. Your example was also good in showing a failure for the flight crew to stay at the 100 feet it was suppose to during this maneuver. The engines did not spool up until it was hitting the trees.

There is a lot of controversy over the Airbus aircraft going into the trees...the only thing that is not a controversy is the fact that the aircraft handled the situation well, it was the pilots or the engine controls that did not add power....depending on who you ask.

Yes, and it's one thing that I don't like so much about Airbus, though they are all fine aircraft. The pilots hit the throttles, but they don't respond to manual input like in other aircraft types. They pilots had the auto-throttle activated, so no matter what they did to the actual thrust levers, no change in thrust was occurring. It all would have been changed if they just hit the auto-throttle button.

This problem has since been fixed, and the aircraft can receive emergency override inputs from the pilots in those situations.

NIKV69
2011-11-08, 07:05 PM
Yes, and it's one thing that I don't like so much about Airbus, though they are all fine aircraft. The pilots hit the throttles, but they don't respond to manual input like in other aircraft types. They pilots had the auto-throttle activated, so no matter what they did to the actual thrust levers, no change in thrust was occurring. It all would have been changed if they just hit the auto-throttle button.

This problem has since been fixed, and the aircraft can receive emergency override inputs from the pilots in those situations.

Phil took the words out of my mouth.

hiss srq
2011-11-09, 10:26 PM
A few things about the Airbus and the various modes. The Airbus is actually a very easy airplane to understand once you release yourself from the single flight mode peramiter. In the A320 when you are in normal law for example, when the RA detects gear down and flaps 3 or full, the airplane begins to start trimming forward. The purpose of this is to smooth out the flare into touchdown. A lot of little cool tools the engineers designed into the airplane to make life easy. The airplane will fly the predetermined pitch or roll that you set with your control imputs as well. It is very likely that the pilots for example were flying the buffer in that video totally hands off the power with the airplane adjusting power itself to maintain that pitch and flight vector speed wise. If you ever want to know about the bus, all you have to do is ask. Spend alot of time intimately with the A320 suite of jets.