PDA

View Full Version : Hotels near ewr and getting there.

mirrodie
2011-11-02, 10:32 PM
Hey all, looking for some I info for a friend who is transitioning through JFK.
Would anyone please home in with some advice?

We get into JFK at 9:30pm and get a flight the following morning at 8am (Newark) to Mexico City.

I think the most logical thing is to stay at a very convenient Newark Hotel that night, which has shuttle buses.

Firstly, do you know what would be the best way to go from JFK to Newark in one foul swoop upon landing?

Secondly, do you know of any recommended Newark hotels (possibly from spotters you've met)?

Mateo
2011-11-03, 12:21 AM
Certainly is a foul swoop.

Best way is Belt-Verrazano-Goethals-Turnpike. If you're feeling lucky and don't want to pay the $13, you can go Manhattan Bridge-Canal-Holland-78. Don't bother with the Verrazano-Bayonne option unless the Goethals is messed up for whatever reason.

The hotels are all pretty fungible. All have shuttles that leave every 20ish minutes. The Marriott is on-site, but naturally you'll pay more.

gonzalu
2011-11-03, 09:15 AM
Marriott is a must at EWR... stayed there many times.. two steps to terminal and nice views of the airport :-) Would you consider the train to EWR? You can actually go by train the whole way LOL...

Air Train to Jamaica
LIRR Ronkonkoma Line to Penn Station
NJ Transit to Newark Penn Sta
Newark Air Train to Airport

:-)

glennstewart
2011-11-03, 07:05 PM
Thanks for posting on my behalf Mario.
I requested a new password, so back to the forum :)

It's a pity it's a late flight from Hong Kong followed by the early Mexico City. Don't really have time on that leg to rest.
Maybe no time to spot from a hotel window either.

Convenience and cost are key for hotel choice.

How long is the trip roughly from JFK to the hotel? Is there a transport planning website?
Also, what is Newark like for departures? (particularly in January. Will it be weather affected?).

Looking forward to coming back.

Mateo
2011-11-03, 10:36 PM
Slight correction to Manny; it's NJT to the Newark Airport Station. Although you can go to Newark Penn and then take the 62 bus if you're looking to save $6.50. Driving from JFK to EWR; I'd budget about an hour. As far as January wx, it's a crapshoot. Over the course of a December-March winter, I'd say we have 6-10 days where it actually snows, but if we get a 12+" storm (seems to happen about once a year now), it can be 2 or 3 days before the network is back running the way it should.

[HKG-NYC-MEX? I know you've already booked, but why not LAX? Probably more flights on HKG-LAX and LAX-MEX than their New York counterparts]

gonzalu
2011-11-04, 12:16 AM
Mateo, CORRECT! I meant to say AirTrain transfer station... I should know better but, I think it says it clearly on the train anyway :-)

glennstewart
2011-11-05, 11:34 PM
[HKG-NYC-MEX? I know you've already booked, but why not LAX? Probably more flights on HKG-LAX and LAX-MEX than their New York counterparts]

Already booked thankfully. The flights between Japan (coming from Fukuoka) and NYC are significantly cheaper than LAX, SFO or DFW for that time of the year.
The point was to head to New York anyway, because I prefer it over many of the other cities on the west coast (fan of SFO though).

Was hoping that New York in winter would be a good experience, although a trip in Autumn (fall) previously almost killed me. We consider 15C in Sydney to be a bloody cold day.

Delta777LR
2011-11-06, 11:51 AM
if you are talking about saving money to get towards EWR from JFK, you can take the subway to manhattan as well to Chambers St. you can take the JFK Airtrain to Howard Beach to the A train, or Airtrain to Jamaica Center for E train service, both those subway lines connect to PATH train at Chambers St/WTC to Newark Penn Station.. But if you were to take the subway there i would prefer the A train.. Then connect to PATH from Chambers St to Newark Penn Station, then jump on the 62 bus to EWR.. about $15 the whole way!