PDA

View Full Version : DVR Alert: 9/25/11

JHNA57
2011-09-25, 02:59 PM
Everyone here I'm sure knows about tonights premiere of "PAN AM", but at 11:00PM on the Travel Channel (Cablevision Channel 96) is "PLANE SEXY".
NO!!!, it's NOT what you think!
The listing says
Stewardesses, pilots and passengers bring back memories of air travel when it was in its jet-age glory.
For those of us old enough to remember airline travel "before" Lockerbie, it should be an interesting show.

Zee71
2011-09-25, 03:51 PM
Also, on Eye Witness News they have some of the "real Pan Am" flight attendents from the past after the show. I'll be most likely tuning into the Travel Channel.

megatop412
2011-09-25, 08:53 PM
I'll give the show a shot, although I'm sure I'll be disappointed in the emphasis on human relations as opposed to aircraft movements.

I remember the first time I saw the billboard logo on a 727 approaching 31L as I was playing in the back yard. I was only 11 but I remember thinking "What the hell is wrong with that plane? That looks horrible". Then when I saw it on the 747 I loved it. Go figure.

Polaroid taken from above the entrance to the Queens Midtown Tunnel, circa 1986-7(thanks for driving me up there Dad)
http://media9.dropshots.com/photos/476411/20110925/173328.jpg

Just imagine, ALL 747's to Cali. They would have laughed at sending A320's.

Ah the memories

NIKV69
2011-09-25, 10:55 PM
After seeing Christina Ricci changing in the taxi on the way to her flight I am not about to watch FAs from the past. Show is pretty well done. I love how the wife of the husband who banged the FA owned her after they landed. As for the plot I could take it or leave it but Ricci is enough to make me watch a few episodes.

moose135
2011-09-25, 11:01 PM
It was pretty good - a pilot episode (no pun intended) is always going to spend some time setting up the story and the characters, but they did a good job here. I didn't see any outrageously wrong aviation stuff, and the scenes from FRG were decent. I'll stick around for a while.

Zee71
2011-09-25, 11:07 PM
Not bad....I am interested in the espionage stuff to see where it goes. Nice flight attendants (oops....stewardesses)

mirrodie
2011-09-25, 11:07 PM
Havent seen it yet as its opposite MiamiCDI which we watch.

That said, I am interested. Reviews have is poised as the best of the new comers this season

Art at ISP
2011-09-26, 12:02 AM
It wasn't terrible, and the FRG building was easily recognizable. The 707 CGI was somewhat lacking however...time will tell, but it has the making of a decent show.

moose135
2011-09-26, 12:29 AM
...the FRG building was easily recognizable.
But without Fred and me hanging off of it, how could you tell it really was the FRG tower? :wink:

Art at ISP
2011-09-26, 08:24 AM
But without Fred and me hanging off of it, how could you tell it really was the FRG tower? :wink:

Excellent point Moose !!!

LGA777
2011-09-26, 11:37 AM
Personally I really enjoyed it, lived up to all the hype for me , a few observations. I am a very detail oriented person, and I thought they did a good job with that, right down to the Blue Pan Am swizzle sticks in the adult beverages. Thought the cockpit, cabin, and communication with ATC where all reasonably accurate, especially compared to most previous Movies & TV shows. I even noted a cockpit scene prior to pushing back at JFK that had the actual sound effect the avionics make when sitting in a Boeing cockpit. Only thing I noticed about the cabin was the First Class Lounge was in in the front on theirs and most 707's, the show moved it mid cabin, no biggie. BTW I read the cabin & cockpit mock up are at a Studio in Brooklyn, which is where those scenes are filmed (Could Phil arrange an NYC Field trip?). I saw numerous trailers for the show and everything in them was in the pilot episode so not really sure what to expect with future episodes, though according to wikipiedia the next 3 episodes are called "We'll Always Have Paris", "Ich Bin Ein Berliner", & "Eastern Exposure". If anyone didn't catch and don't have a DVR or Tivo here is a link

http://abc.go.com/watch/pan-am/SH55126544/VD55144385/pilot

Cheers

LGA777

LGA777
2011-09-26, 11:42 AM
Oh and a friend who works in Flight Attendant scheduling for my airline posted that so far this morning several of her flight attendants friends have already said if you need me their that quickly could you please send the helicopter please LMAO !

Ychocky
2011-09-26, 12:53 PM
I thought it was good fun. Too many folks at A.net are up in arms.

Hopefully it keeps going long enough for us to see the 70's and some 747's :D

megatop412
2011-09-26, 06:53 PM
I was impressed they were accurate down to having them take off from 31L. I'm sure my downstairs neighbor was wondering why he heard me clapping and shouting "Thirty One Left!"

And the people at anet who are up in arms about the show are the same people that look for grain at ISO 100. There I said it.

Gerard
2011-09-26, 07:04 PM
Too many folks at A.net are up in arms.

OH Geez Edith. Gimme a break. The spotters version of Fanboys!! :rolleyes::tongue:

moose135
2011-09-27, 12:37 AM
Found an interesting article about some of the "green screen" work they did for the show, with before and after photos...they did the work at the Grumman Studios.

http://www.fxguide.com/featured/pan-am-retro-green-screen-world/

mirrodie
2011-09-27, 12:09 PM
"I love how the wife of the husband who banged the FA owned her after they landed."

How was she getting owned if the FA had no idea she was married? The FA was just as pissed as having been tricked.

I digress. Wifey and I watched it. I can't comment on accuracy since I was too young, but it was enjoyable. The 707 cgi stiff was yucky.

The FRG scenes, did they use Museum pieces other than the c47? Jeeps? vehicles?

We'll be watching it. AS I said, previews call it hte best show this season.

Whats more interesting was listening to some of our aunts and uncles who watched and their comments about how ****ty travel is today and how people have no class these days. It was interesting to really hear about it from people who miss the old days of flgiht, where it was once prestigious.

Last comment, yes the opening takeoff scene with clearance on 31L was real, but we laughed as both pilots were smiling at each other in mid takeoff roll. That was a CHHHHHEEEEEEEEESIE moment!

moose135
2011-09-27, 01:00 PM
Mario, in addition to the C-47, one of the museum's trucks was used. The production company also had vehicles from other sources.

moose135
2011-09-30, 06:17 PM
If you missed it Sunday, ABC is re-airing the first episode of Pan Am tonight at 9pm Eastern / 8pm Central.

ISP Pilot
2011-10-01, 03:38 PM
One thing they need to fix is the sound clip for the engines. The 707 has a distinct "whine". I too was happy they at least got Rwy 31L right. I still can't believe that LaGuardia Runway 44 was mentioned in Catch Me If You Can.

ch2tdriver
2011-10-18, 09:26 AM
Can anyone help this guy out??? :cool:

http://warbirdinformationexchange.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=42969

If so we could see a 707 at FRG! :wink:

Ychocky
2011-10-18, 11:31 AM
Checkerboard approach to Kai Tak! Awesome!

Derf
2011-10-18, 12:45 PM

Well, that cat is out of the bag! Thats 1 of 2 special visitors that should be coming to KFRG soon!

megatop412
2011-10-18, 01:11 PM

I don't understand- all of a sudden they don't want to use mock-ups, they need a real plane? They seem to be getting by with the mock-ups just fine so far(i.e. last week's episode featuring the VC-137B)

But hey, bring on the real thing baby! I'll be there when it comes in for sure

And that list on that link is pretty informative- now at least I know the identity of the 707 I spotted sticking out of a hangar at KSAT 2 years ago

mirrodie
2011-10-28, 09:45 PM
SO, been thinking about the show and especially the 707 at FRG right now.

You know, someone posted a link some time ago that showed how much of the scenes were actually CGI put into the background.

That said, having seen to what extent they can use CGI, I wonder why they've chosen to bring in Clipper Ella for a scene. I mean, they actually CGIed a scene at JFK where you see the FA's walk onto a 707 that isn't there. Just wondering, with that kind of talent, why bring in a jet?

NOT THAT I AM COMPLAINING!!! ;) I LOVE it, Just wondering.