PDA

View Full Version : Fire engine question

mirrodie
2011-09-10, 09:10 AM
Just saw an old Firetruck on a flatbed, being transporter somewhere.

it was heading north on Wellwood in Lindenhurst, then turned east on rte 109 headed toward babylon.

its a pre-1970
s fire truck.

Any of you firefighter knowledgeable types have a story on it? Where to?

Derf
2011-09-11, 02:13 AM
I think John Klos and I got a shot of that a month or two ago....Do not have the picture handy right now tho

moose135
2011-09-11, 08:24 AM
Was it an old, restored truck? I've seen lots of departments with old trucks that have restored an old truck to use in parades, etc.

Derf
2011-09-11, 10:26 AM
I thing he is talking about the one from the Firehouse at Sleepy Hollow rd in Huntington that has been sitting behind the firehouse

mirrodie
2011-09-11, 08:40 PM
DUnno if its the one from the Melville FD firehouse, the one on Sleepy Hollow Rd.

This was northbound on WEllwood Ave and took a easterly turn onto rte 109, toward Babylon. It was on a flatbed truck and was likely doing that to get to Sunrise highway, as it would not be albe to get onto the Southern State. But the firetruck itself had NORTH BELLMORE on it. Perhap it was for a parade then....

Art at ISP
2011-09-12, 12:52 AM
Did you notice if it was an engine or a ladder truck? The big ladder would be a dead giveaway.

I have driven everything from a 1950 Mack ladder truck with a 75 foot ladder (and no synchronized transmission, no air brakes and no power steering), to the 1985 tower ladder (which was 60 feet long itself), to the early 1990s pumpers I helped design...those were the days...

I went to a meeting of my FD Benevolent Association early in August, and one of the ex chiefs told me that I taught him how to judge backing a truck into the firehouse--and to this day he still uses the method I taught him....I had even forgotten the method until he reminded me...