PDA

View Full Version : AF447

mirrodie
2011-07-30, 09:29 AM
Just heard that AF 447 was blamed on the pilots but I ask, why?

I made a slight attempt to check the blue site but it was, as usual, inundated with BS and speculation.

Is anyone here familiar with the report? (Way to go, AF, btw) sarcasm

hiss srq
2011-07-30, 10:02 AM
Essentally what is being said is that the aircraft encountered an overspeed followed immediately by an Alpha Floor alert. The crew became extremely disorineted by this and proceeded with overspeed recovery which enhanced the stall. An interesting aspect of this is that the modern Airbus' do not have an AOA indicator in the cockpit but use the control laws to indicate the buffer zone with a series of red dashed lines proceeded by several yellows. In normal law the airplane will automaticly apply power and proceed to forward trim the airplane to recover. This is where an AOA indicator in the bus cockpit would have been a very handy. I've always wondered as to why they wouldnt provide one even before this crash. In situations where you have an airspeed split or this circumstance where ASI is completely unreliable to both sides you would at the very lease be able to recover the stall and fly AOA. It's kind of a forgotten tool of the past sadly.

Derf
2011-07-30, 02:17 PM
That was very well said

NIKV69
2011-07-30, 04:56 PM
IMO this is an evolution of Airbus designing the pilot out of the cockpit and why sometimes using more automation than human airmanship can be deadly in a situation like this when a sensor freezes and real time data is not being sent to the cockpit. With no yoke and inferior training these guys had little idea what the plane was doing.