PDA

View Full Version : Rwy 22L on WCBS-TV News

Speedbird1
2011-07-23, 05:49 AM
On July 20, WCBS-TV channel 2 news had a segment on the use of Rwy 22L at JFK. Nassau County residents claim that the approach is ruining their lives in many instances. The approach is even used all night long. The FAA admits that in Jan. there were 3,200 landings while in May there were 6,200 arrivals during these months. The report calls Rwy 22L the runway of "last resort" but claims that it has become the choice runway recently. Through the years, I know that it is used almost constantly when the wind is from a southerly direction but I was unaware that it was also being used overnight. It was also used almost constantly during re-construction of Rwy 31L/13R. It is now used for over 1/3 of all arrivals. Even when the official landing runways are the 13's, at least half of the arrivals are vectored over Nassau County to VOR/DME 22L. The report says that residents are "up in arms" and petitions and hearings will be held. While we are plane spotters here, I guess we wouldn't want to hear aircraft overnight as well. Any feedback?

hiss srq
2011-07-23, 06:07 AM
It's not just "any residents" It's mostly the typically b1tchy brats in Garden City. God forbid Garden City be affected. It's called operational necessity, they will either eventually get over it or die of old age. I live in Long Beach and I could easily complain much more considering the fact that we are closer to JFK and actually receive overflight from almost every 22 departure and all 31 arrivals. They should save it for someone who cares because the FAA doesnt and (for once) applaud the FAA. I spend alot of time in that area and the sound is not bad at all. A light buzz sound every soo often and unless you are actually paying attention, you don't even hear it. Typical rigamarole from G. City. If they are not complaining then chances are Long Island sank into the Atlantic.

Zee71
2011-07-23, 07:26 AM
Given the fact that I reside next door to JFK. I have noticed that over the past months there has been less use of the 13s/31s as compared to the 22s/4s. Once ever blue moon, they would have 13R arrivals in the early wee hours of the morning (i.e., past midnight), but I have heard any in quite a while. I would figure there would be more use of 13R for arrivals since there are less popluated areas the aircraft would fly over on approach.

NIKV69
2011-07-23, 08:23 AM
Since OP didn't provide a link as per the forum rules here it is.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2011/07/20/nassau-county-residents-complain-of-noise-from-jfk-airport-planes/

727C47
2011-07-23, 09:55 AM
they would have loved S Ozone PK in the 60s-70s during the 1st generation ,and second generation turbojet /fan screamers aka 707,CV880/990,early DC8,every 90 seconds dawn till late night, at 500 -800 ft agl, the 727 was considered a Whisperjet back then. I loved it.

Zee71
2011-07-24, 08:21 AM
Saw the news segment this Sunday morning (I guesss they replayed again), and I don't honestly see what the issue is. You barely hear the engine noise during the segment, at night the sound maybe more prominent, but still not earth shattering. These folks definitely look to be snooty, like their neighborhood is too good to have air traffic fly overhead. I say ...... keep'em coming. These folks need a reality check...........bring back the 707s, 727s, 737-200s, and for the hell of it the Concorde (all of which I would like to see as well)! And the one guy that stated he can see the pilots waving............I think he misinterpreted............I think he meant to say the pilots were giving him the bird.

gonzalu
2011-07-24, 08:32 AM
JFK was likely there way before they were and seriously, it can't be as bad as 727s or even some older MD-80s over my house on departure from LGA where the sound is very loud. And I am about 5 to 6 miles from LGA as the crow flies.

However I must say, just landing, when LGA is on 22 for landing and the A320s and pretty much any aircraft flies up the Hudson up to around my neighborhood and then turn slight right towards New Rochelle they come right over the house and it is very noticeable during the late evening hours... and I have lived here for over 20 years... You may get used to it but it is definitely noticeable.

Luckily it is a rare event to have it lasst for more than a few hours and seemingly the pattern is spread so the turns are random and never over the same exact path, sparing the neighbors below from a constant or continuous drone.

I for one prefer the takeoff sound of engines at full throttle than the while of deceleration on landing :cool:

NIKV69
2011-07-24, 09:18 AM
Mark is right I worked in GC under the flight path near there and it's not bad at all. The people in Bullhead have it much worse when a G4 Mad dog rotates right over them. Now that is loud!

sammers4247
2011-07-24, 05:51 PM
Wow, some of the comments those people made are so stupid. I love the comments about there being "no good reason," as if airport ops are haphazard and random and are formulated especially to get people's panties in a twist. Come on. Planes so low you can see people eating? Planes so low that the pilots see you waving? Do these people live *on* 22L? Give me a break. If you don't like noise, move to Montana. We live in a CITY.

Zee71
2011-07-24, 09:50 PM
Ear plugs are an option, and don't bother flying either!

megatop412
2011-07-24, 11:40 PM
I was shocked reading that article. Shocked that people could be so ignorant to not know that planes make whining noises, shocked that when asked by their 'scared' children 'what that noise is' a parent doesn't think to say "That's a plane, dear. Now finish your dinner."

Even if the numbers for 22L are up, these planes are landing, not taking off. It's not THAT loud for pete's sake.