PDA

View Full Version : New Home for Shuttle Enterprise

Speedbird1
2011-07-09, 06:17 AM
Although not yet official, the Intrepid Museum plans to place the prototype Space Shuttle Enterprise not on the pier next to Concorde but across 12th Ave. in a newly-constructed protected plexiglass enclosure. They are taking collections to help defray the cost. We originally were told that it would be placed on the pier near the Concorde. I thought there was enough space for both on the pier, but evidently "higher-ups" didn't agree. Regarding the Concorde, I am still unable to find any info or photos of the repairs done to the radome on the nose. Were the repairs done in Brooklyn? I guess that British Airways paid for the repairs. Is the radome a new one or the same one that got broken-off a few years ago at Floyd Bennett?

Matt Molnar
2011-07-09, 10:15 PM
That makes sense. There might be enough space to park it on the pier, but it needs to be enclosed in a building large enough for a good number of people. It also must be protected from floods for the next 500 years...I kind of doubt that moving it across the street will completely defray that risk, but it must be better than having it on the river itself.

I believe British Airways had to fabricate a new radome.