PDA

View Full Version : Star Alliance - who would you fly with?

dimamo1983
2011-07-05, 03:15 PM
I am contemplating a round-the-world trip since I got enough miles to do one through Star Alliance. Basic rules - must progress one way (longitude-wise) and you get five stops (plus the return flight). Which airlines would you fly?
http://www.staralliance.com/en/about/airlines/

More rules if you care: You must fly in/fly out of the same airport except for one stop where those could be different. Stopovers/connections of less than 24 hours do not count as one of the stops.

My thoughts: I want to cover five continents, starting with a flight to Europe. I would also like to fly on A380, A340, and B777 since I have not flown on those birds.

So, I am thinking about catching a Lufty A380 from NYC to Frankfurt, then maybe another one from Frankfurt to Johannesburg (or should I go with South African B747? or SAS?).

From South Africa, I gotta get to South East Asia, so I am torn about Singapore A380 and maybe giving Asiana a try. Maybe save the A380 for Singapore to Australia flight? Maybe even jump on Air China with a quick stopover in Shanghai? Or ANA?

Who would you fly from Australia/New Zealand to South America? TAM? Air New Zealand?

So many possibilities :)

AirtrafficController
2011-07-05, 06:29 PM
I flew Lufthansa in the summer of 2008. I would definitely recommend flying Lufthansa at least one leg of your journey. Their transatlantic service is excellent with great service, comfortable seats, and enjoyable IFE. By flying the A380, I'm sure you will receive the upmost customer service in their fleet.

cancidas
2011-07-05, 07:05 PM
DLH and LOT.

sorry lufthansa. definitely wanna try Air Canada, Singapore and Thai.

Ari707
2011-07-06, 01:29 PM
if you fly Luft trans Atl. avoid the 747-400 as there is no personal IFE and the seating is rather cramped. My wife flew them a few weeks ago and she also said the food wasn't good and very small portion. she flew back on Virgin which she said was her best flight ever.

Spunker
2011-07-06, 01:33 PM
Sounds like a great trip. I don't think South African operates the 747 anymore. I would love to try ANZ. Good luck

Mateo
2011-07-07, 12:31 AM
Don't bother with Air Canada. Fly a European airline Transatlantic and for sure an Asian carrier Transpac.

hiss srq
2011-07-09, 09:12 AM
Continited from EWR to FRA LH from FRA to SIN than SIN to LAX on SIA and lastly Continited back to EWR

Art at ISP
2011-07-10, 11:20 AM
if you fly Luft trans Atl. avoid the 747-400 as there is no personal IFE and the seating is rather cramped. My wife flew them a few weeks ago and she also said the food wasn't good and very small portion. she flew back on Virgin which she said was her best flight ever.

That sounds like the old Woody Allen joke -- Two old people at the nursing home are talking on line for dinner... One says, "the food here is terrible" and the other says, "yeah and such small portions"...