PDA

View Full Version : Aviation Nation 2011

steve1840
2011-06-17, 03:25 PM
I am thinking of planning a trip out to Las Vegas in November to attend Aviation Nation. Just curious as to if anyone else will be going?

And of course while I'm there I will be hanging out at LAS doing some spotting.

jerslice
2011-06-17, 03:41 PM
I'm considering it; depends on prices though :-/

seahawks7757
2011-06-20, 03:43 AM
Definitely on my radar to attend this year again, was a great show last year and should be a great one again this year!

steve1840
2011-06-20, 07:40 AM
So far I've found SW to be the best price for me from my area for about 330/pp roundtrip. Im going to check again soon to see if I can find lower.

I've heard its a great show, I doubt I will be dissapointed.

chrisparypa
2011-06-23, 08:38 AM
As Always Nellis is on my list but.... after last year the only good think about this airshow is KLAS Spotting :) For the l;ast few years Aviation Nation was very poor event... last year sunday "lens restriction" was just a joke. They said: no lenses over 200mm if u not media approved, of course they fixed that nonsense after few hours but lots of people just turned around and left. Im not sure I will go for tis air show, it's nothing special, good things: mountains in the background and air quality but with the poor line of performers and announcers from god knows where Im not sure is it worthy to spend money.... Vegas, KLAS spotting is just amazing thats true but the Aviation Nation Air Show is just a joke in my opinion, plus Tbirds is not a very big attraction. It's is Tbirds homecoming airshow and I was expecting to see something special but they showed up 15 minutes and after that said" BYE... I saw few hundreds kids with face asking : WHATTTTT ??? They should learn from the Blue Angels how to talk to people and how important people are. BA's after Oceana Air Show signing the pictures etc for at least 2-3 hours..... and they are not tired, cuz they are not rock stars like tbirds.....

Anyway for me 50/50 this year If I will decide to go I must have a reason like other airshow in the area, I will probably choose Pensacola instead of poor organized Nellis Aviation Nation....

steve1840
2011-06-23, 09:10 AM
Chris, how is the Pensacola Show? Performances as well as the ability to get good non-back lit photos? Still thinking of other places I'd rather go than Nellis. A spotting trip to LAX is also in the Top 5 choices right now. And if the Pensacola show is the BA's homecoming show, then that has moved into the Top 5 as well.

chrisparypa
2011-06-23, 01:23 PM
Pensacola has PERFECT light for the whole airshow :), Nellis, light is not bad as well mountains in the background, air quality but as air show is just terrible, Las year was a Joke... probably small Aerobatic over Boardwalk at Ocean City, NJ was better. The good thing about Nellis is that you have a chance to see some planes from Europe, last year Europfighter Typoon was on static display, F-15 Aggressors looks just gorgeous, 0-2 Skymaster was there flying, Iskra wearing Polish colors, however air show sucks :) Other good thing about Nellis is like I said KLAS and one of the best spotting opportunity in the country, there is no a lot of heavies but McCarran airport is just wonderful plus is not far from KLAX.

This year Im thinking to catch Cocoa Beach airshow and then week later Pensacola - Im planning car trip from Cocoa to Pensacola with family, but Im not saying no to Las Vegas but only because of the KLAS spotting not air show... Aviation Nation will be as a addition not as a main attraction.... it is all just a project right now, will see what am I going to do :)

steve1840
2011-06-23, 01:34 PM
I just checked out the website for the Pensacola Show. Looks good, and its the same weekend as the Nellis show. The selling point for me for Pensacola is the $50 Flightline Club tickets, garaunteeing me a good place to photograph from without having to fight with people to get up front. Beats the $95 I paid for the Flightline Club tix in TN (eventhough they were worth every cent).

The only downside to the Pensacola show will be that there is no major airport nearby that will offer any good traffic. The only things near there are Pensecola Regional and Panama City. I suppose I could get down there early as well to catch everything arrivign too. Wheels in my head are definitely spinning now.

chrisparypa
2011-06-23, 09:34 PM
As far I know there is no problem to get to Pensacola by air, I will take a car trip this year to kill some time :) driving from Brooklyn to Pensacola :) thru orlando, miami, key west :))) but like I said this is all just a project right now... :)

steve1840
2011-06-24, 07:19 AM
If I end up going I think I will fly into Panama City sinec they were the cheapest flights I could find. Just wish there was a decent airport to do some spotting at while I'm there.

seahawks7757
2011-07-26, 03:15 AM
Just to update you guys, the Patriots just announced this week that they will be attending Aviation Nation this year!

seahawks7757
2011-10-14, 12:28 AM
And the F-22 has been scrubbed even though they are no longer grounded. I wonder if Nellis might still send one up just for show. The A-10 team will replace the F-22 team. Was really hoping they would have given it to Viper West, I'm sorry but the A-10 just doesn't even compare in any category to the F-22 lol.

seahawks7757
2011-11-07, 09:23 PM
Anyone else attending it this year?

cancidas
2011-11-07, 09:44 PM
i'd love to come on out but nonreving my way there isn't gonna be easy. that and i'd prefer hitting up a red flag...

Greg_NY
2011-11-07, 10:53 PM
I'll be there ...

There's also a Green Flag going on which should provide some interesting spotting for Friday and Monday.

seahawks7757
2011-11-08, 12:29 AM
i'd love to come on out but nonreving my way there isn't gonna be easy. that and i'd prefer hitting up a red flag...

I hear that, I am probably going to have to fly into LAX then drive to LAS cause loads are that crappy.