PDA

View Full Version : UV Filters

Derf
2011-06-16, 07:19 PM
UV FILTERS WILD LINK (http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2011/06/good-times-with-bad-filters)

Good Read...I do not use them as I do not want the impact in image quality nor do I want more flares in the night shots I do.

I liked the test with 5 filters. It is a good argument when someone tells me that there is no difference in image with a UV filter. 5 good quality filters makes a big impact. If it did something I would be interested...but it seems to just lower quality.

I am not completely against them.. I would use one if I owned a $1000 lens and was taking it to the beach or going somewhere mud will be flung... but not for everyday use. I buy a good lens for good quality and will not put any glass infront of my camera if it can be helped. My $.02

gonzalu
2011-06-17, 12:36 AM
Thanks Fred for backing up my mantra.. people hate it when I go ballistic on them why I hate filters FOR NO REASON... I use em when needed, like the VERY HANDY and FUN neutral density filters. Or a star filter at night...

But no thanks, don;t need flare or ghosts or hazy images etc. Even at the beach, my 200-400mm f/4 goes naked... and believe me, it hurts to know that salty water or fine sand is getting in those lovely threads up front. But, the way I see it, I paid for the lens to get the best out of it, why hamper it? Is like putting a condom around a Ferrari Enzo! Or square wheels on a Skyline GTR!

Rant Switch OFF.

NIKV69
2011-06-17, 04:58 AM
Manny and Fred are right. As another wise photog said to me

you want nothing between your subject and the glass. Unless you have to.

billv
2011-06-17, 08:14 AM
I'm with you guys on this too. Occasionally I'll put on a ND when needed and a polarizer now and then, but for the most part, my lenses go naked!

megatop412
2011-06-17, 12:11 PM
I think most UV filters are fear-marketed. Yet, there are those few and far between examples of someone clanging their uncapped lens against some pointy surface or object and destroying the filter, but leaving the front element unscathed.

Another thing is that for people who aren't IQ nuts, they're not blowing up to 100% and looking in the corners or even looking that closely at all, so they're happier 'protecting their investment'

I usually keep filters on until the last second before shooting. Best of both worlds.

threeholerglory
2011-06-17, 05:45 PM
i keep a fluorite UD on my 70-200, 300, and 10-22 and have never seen quality degradation...granted they're very high quality, i'd prefer to have it on there just for protection. i can certainly see both sides of the argument, though.

gonzalu
2011-06-17, 06:00 PM
I usually keep filters on until the last second before shooting. Best of both worlds.

For me, that job is held by the Lens Cap :tongue: