PDA

View Full Version : Why are both doors opened on Concorde?

Speedbird1
2011-05-27, 06:14 AM
On my visit yesterday to the Intrepid, I noticed something strange. Both emergency doors on the port and starboard sides are wide-open. I inquired but nobody knew the reason for this. There must be a logical reason. Incidentally, if you wish to enter the Concorde it will now cost you about $42 as you now must go on a guided tour inside. The General Admission is $22 and an additional $20 is charged for the tour. Concorde entrance is no longer covered by General Admission. I believe that a short film is included, Hopefully, this includes being able to sit in the captain's seat.

cancidas
2011-05-27, 08:10 AM
probably to help keep it cool, don't forget there is no external air source hooked up to the airplane anymore.

flyboy 28
2011-05-27, 09:42 AM
Incidentally, if you wish to enter the Concorde it will now cost you about $42 as you now must go on a guided tour inside.

That is ridiculous. Everything on board has two-inch plexiglass all over, and you can't even make it far enough forward in the cabin to even see the damn yoke. Why are they charging for this now? Hopefully it's to remove the graffiti on the exit door.

alberchico
2011-06-05, 02:32 PM
$42 freaking dollars to see the intrepid and Concorde ??? That's what happens when you commit to a 40 million spacecraft exhibit. You just KNOW that to see the Enterprise there's going to be an extra $20 charge :mad:

According to this the guided tour will let you go inside the cockpit. I guess it sort of makes up for it

http://www.newyorkology.com/archives/2011/01/new_concorde_to.php

PhilDernerJr
2011-06-05, 04:34 PM
That cost is exactly why I felt Intrepid was undeserving to get a Space Shuttle, and I was very embarrassed as a New Yorker by people's "we got a fake shuttle" as if we're entitled.

The museum itself is mediocre, especially for Almost $25 a person. I brought my girlfriend there and to spend $50, go throught he entire museum in 15 minutes and not even get to go into the Concorde is a joke. Who knows how bad it will get once the shuttle arrives.

The Cradle of Aviation is a REAL museum.

jerslice
2011-06-05, 04:41 PM
$42 freaking dollars to see the intrepid and Concorde
Come on out to Seattle and see it for a third of the price. Oh and go into the Space Shuttle Trainer.

moose135
2011-06-05, 05:31 PM
I think the airfare to Seattle would cut into the savings...:tongue:

jerslice
2011-06-05, 09:20 PM
I think the airfare to Seattle would cut into the savings...:tongue:
Maybe a bit, but you can also add on the Boeing tour, see 787's & 748's flight testing...visit BFI/RNT....see the classic warbird museums at Paine...lots of bang for your buck. You can do museum of flight, boeing tour, and the Historic Flight Foundation for $4 more than visiting Intrepid.

cancidas
2011-06-05, 09:46 PM
Maybe a bit, but you can also add on the Boeing tour, see 787's & 748's flight testing...visit BFI/RNT....see the classic warbird museums at Paine...lots of bang for your buck. You can do museum of flight, boeing tour, and the Historic Flight Foundation for $4 more than visiting Intrepid.

i'm down for that, and i fly for free! wanna play tour guide?

jerslice
2011-06-05, 10:19 PM
i'm down for that, and i fly for free! wanna play tour guide?
I don't have any money for the forseeable future, but soon as I get some, I'd love to! But anytime you're in the area or want to make a trip, I'd be more than happy to show you (or anyone) around.